PDA

View Full Version : SO EMBARRASSING but is there a name 4 my fear?

N206
22-06-04, 17:49
hi all

some people might already know what i suffer with the most,by what ive said in alot of my other posts, but what i want to know is if there is a name for it.
Emetaphobia is fear of throwing up but whats the name for fear of diahorrea?
i suffer everyday with my tummy.and as soon as i panic it goes straight to my bowel. i dont go out much incase i need the loo and i might not make it. its controlling my life. i very rarely eat properly incase it goes right through me. im so frightened of not being able to control my bowel.
Can any1 help?
Nic x

Your stronger than you'll ever know,you control your own world.

HB
22-06-04, 18:07
ok, to begin with i feel that it may be partly emetaphobia because i am also scared of having diorreoh but only because i fear that i may be sick afterwards. Is thia part of your fear or not? Just keep thinking that nothing bad will happen from this illness, you will always be able to control your bowel because you wouldnt go out if you felt that bad, try not to worry xx

H

N206
22-06-04, 18:24
yea i do fear that if i have diarrohea i might b sick but that doesnt enter my head til its happening. my main fear is that eating will give me diarrohea,or panicing upsets my tummy when im out.
x

Caitlyn89
22-06-04, 23:07
It normally doesnt enter your head until its happening.....i dont think you are nessaccirly afraid of pooping you have anxiety type thing. Like just like people can dread panic attacks and can alter there actions to prevent you are apprhensive about **D** so you alter your actions like with eating and when you leave the house.

Caz Fab Pants
23-06-04, 22:01
I agree with Caitlyn. Dont think you have a phobia of diahorrea, I think its all just part of the panic/anixety thing.

I too suffer with my bowel when I panic and find that the bad stomach feeling escalates my anxiety which makes me need the loo even more. The whole situation is also made worse depending on where I am and how easy it is to get to a toilet. It can be a nightmare even if there is a toilet nearby because I usually have my one yr old son with me who doesn't walk yet so cant stand in the cubicle with me and you cant fit a buggy in most public loo's.

I therefore associate needing the loo with anxiety and read it as a sign that I'm nearer to panicking but I dont see that as a phobia, its just a symptom that I dont especially like.

I imagine thats similar to how you feel except your fear is brought on by something different.
You seem to worry about general stuff which causes the diahorrea, you then see this as a sign that you have a bug or illness which causes you to then panic that you are also going to be sick.
A very typical vicious circle.

I know its impossible to switch off anxiety so what I would suggest is when you feel
that you're going to have a tummy upset, tell yourself repeatedly that its self induced and you are not ill, its simply a side effect of the anxiety. Also tell yourself that you will cope no matter what happens because having diahorrea or being sick is horrible but you WILL survive it and ultimately be fine.

I know you've probably heard all this before and its alot easier said than done but I'm just trying to give positive advice. Hope you're managing to eat a bit more.

Caroline
x

HB
24-06-04, 20:52
someone on here told me to drink tonic water when my tummy feels off and it really really helps, oh! and extra strong mints!

H

Rennie1989
24-06-04, 21:10
nic, ill have a look 4 ya

Scooter Girl

if i wa hungry would u feed me, if i fell u you help me up, if i was crying would brush away my tears

Meg
24-06-04, 21:35
Hurrah - someone listens to me and gives feedback that something does or doesn't help !!!

We get so many people through here and write so many paragraphs of advice but it's not often that we get such clear cut feedback and it's very helpful and motivational.

Thank you Helen

Meg

N206
24-06-04, 23:43
hiya

thanks for the support and advice once again everyone! ive clamed down now after my episode this morning!
it is all just putting it into perspective and talking yourself through it that your safe and its just feelings.
Not tried the soda water.. but im already addicted to extra strong mints.started eating them bout 2/3 yrs ago i guess and i go through about 5 packets a week. i used them originally as a distraction--feel panic, fumble in bag and concentrate on the mint. now im addicted, and if i run low,well thats the end of the world!!
thing is though, i do worry bout my poor teeth!

stimpy
25-06-04, 09:16
Pepto-Bismol or Imodium should help too.
Might be worth putting a pack in your pocket incase of emergencies.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Rennie1989
25-06-04, 14:02
hiya guys

sorry i couldnt find it, ill have to look again wen i can stay on the web longer, lol

Scooter Girl

if i wa hungry would u feed me, if i fell u you help me up, if i was crying would brush away my tears

skeeterbug
05-08-04, 19:55
I have the same fear as you. My stomach has always hurt. Just a few
years ago I started to have diarrhea really bad to the point that I did
not want to go anywhere either incase they did not have a bathroom. I am still this way and do not know what to do. If I am just with my husband it is a lot better.

Rennie1989
05-08-04, 20:42
hi every1

i have been feelin pants 4 2 days now, im feelin ill coz of the humididty and im feelin sick, like u guys i dont wanna b sick, but wat shall i do!!!!!!!!????????????

Scooter Girl

sarah
05-08-04, 23:03
Hiya Jade

Its a heat thing so the best you can do is keep yourself as cool as you can and drink plenty of fluids!!!

love Sarah
xx

ps or you can do what ive done.....got a paddling pool and put it in the garden...lol

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

tara
08-08-04, 22:24
Gosh I didn't know there was a name for the fear of being sick, I WILL WILL NOT be sick, I will do anything not to be sick and once felt sick for 10 days and still wouldn't be sick, I get really panicky if I feel sick and haven't been sick for about a year and a half, and before that a few years. Thanks for the posts I really didn't know that people felt the way I do about these things.

HB
09-08-04, 15:26
I have a HUGE fear of being sick since i was 2!! I hadnt been sick for over 15 years untill last october!!

I used to think i could talk myself out of being sick and prevent it at all costs but as son as i felt sick that one morning in october, i knew it had to be done. It was the most terrfiying experience of my life. My therapist said that that was all i needed to get ovet the phobia but she was so wrong... the whole exposure thing has certainly not worked for me!

H

tara
09-08-04, 15:50
Yeah I know what u mean, I have had a phobia about being sick for as long as I can remember as I have said I will do anything not to be sick and it doesn't matter who is with me it makes no difference I still will not be sick. It's really strange though I can help anyone else who is being sick and it doesn't bother me at all.