PDA

View Full Version : THE RIGHT MEDICATION FOR YOU - A cheek swab could do it.

matt94
25-04-13, 22:41
http://youscript.com/patients/why-youscript/affected-drugs-by-medical-condition/depression/

I saw a nurse today and she said this new test arrived at her office, that could get the right antidepressant AND dosage for you down to the T! Many of the people who worked in the office had it done on themselves and couldn't believe it themselves. It'll tell you what will be effective, and what won't be.

I live in the US, and am currently housebound. Under the program I'm in a doctor can come, swab the cheek, and get results within 2-3 weeks. Gives me hope!

Ingenious
26-04-13, 03:30
DNA testing for appropriate medication - now that could be a massive help. As the article says the normal procedure is usually months of trial and error. This might help get people started on the right medication from the off.

Interesting article, thanks for posting this.

Emphyrio
26-04-13, 15:38
The sooner we get it here the better - I've had four weeks or being unproductive thanks to the SSRI roulette...

steveo
26-04-13, 17:43
Can't believe they haven't done something like this sooner and they have been allowed to play roulette with our lives. I've already had a VERY unproductive 2013 since trying 2 SSRI's.

Now I have to make a choice of which next one I try at the price of my mental wellbeing!!

I think that a neurotransmitter profile test would also be good. This can crudely test the levels of our neurotranmistters (serotonin and noradrenaline).

flori
26-04-13, 17:59
I really do hope we get this too. What a difference it would make to peoples lives.

clio51
26-04-13, 19:05
http://youscript.com/patients/why-youscript/affected-drugs-by-medical-condition/depression/

Just found this $695 = £448

I wonder in people from UK can do it?

Steve37
26-04-13, 19:07

I saw a nurse today and she said this new test arrived at her office, that could get the right antidepressant AND dosage for you down to the T! Many of the people who worked in the office had it done on themselves and couldn't believe it themselves. It'll tell you what will be effective, and what won't be.

I live in the US, and am currently housebound. Under the program I'm in a doctor can come, swab the cheek, and get results within 2-3 weeks. Gives me hope!

Why? If you don't mind me asking.

steveo
26-04-13, 20:20
Why to what? There's no question here?

Ingenious
26-04-13, 22:04
Why to what? There's no question here?

He made part of the quote bold. That is the question, why are they housebound? :)

steveo
26-04-13, 22:57
Ahhh I see that.

My guess would be Agoraphobia. That's the reason most housebound people on this site are housebound. I know I am!

matt94
27-04-13, 00:51
Why? If you don't mind me asking.

I am, in fact, agoraphobic. I battled with agoraphobic thoughts for much of my life but kind of just broke down and started avoiding everything. It was by no means gradual, took about a week or two.

steveo
27-04-13, 15:05
Same here! I've never been agoraphobic in my life. After this particular breakdown started 4 months ago, it came on very suddenly! Some days I don't even like opening the curtians.

matt94
30-04-13, 17:46
4 months for me too, Steveo!