PDA

View Full Version : sexual probs after stopping Seroxat

SeroxVet
26-04-13, 01:49
Hi. I’m a 45 year old male and I have come off Seroxat recently after 15 years. I was on 20mg and came off it very slowly over five months. I had a few withdrawal symptoms during this time; just the odd head zap and slight dizziness but it wasn't too bad (not like when I tried coming off over a shorter period when the effects were a lot worse - if you're trying to come off, please take it slowly to avoid this) Anyway, after three months off it, I think my body/brain is still dealing with the aftermath of being on this drug for such a long time. I get headaches quite a lot and feel nauseous sometimes, but again these symptoms are not nearly as bad as the ones I experienced when I tried coming off too quickly. However one very distressingly symptom I have noticed in the last few weeks - something I have never experienced before in my life, not even while I was coming off the drug - and that is a huge reduction in the pleasure I get when I orgasm. My sex drive has not been adversely affected so I am in a rather frustrating state at the moment, if you see what I mean!:huh: I must admit I am very surprised that I should suddenly get this symptom now. Given that I had no real sexual problems while on the drug or when coming off it, it doesn't seem to make much sense. Of course maybe this is not linked to me having been on the drug at all, but I find that hard to believe. On the latest patient leaflet it says under side-effects of taking the drug: "Change in sex drive or sexual function. For example, lack of orgasm and, in men, abnormal erection and ejaculation"
There's no mention of anything sex-related under the heading "effects of stopping the drug". And this is surprising as many people have reported such problems. Has anyone here had such problems? How long do they last? Am I doomed to never enjoying sex like I used to? On a wider note, I find it worrying that someone can experience a negative side effect for the first time after they've come off the drug. Any info/advice welcome.

Ingenious
26-04-13, 03:11
This is an interesting article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-SSRI_sexual_dysfunction

"Muted orgasms" is mentioned. I would certainly not lose hope here, but possibly accept after being on an SSRI for 15 years your body simply may need some time (a long time) to recover completely.

The feeling of my orgasms changed when I went on to Citalopram, changed again when I came off it, changed again when I went on to Mirtazapine (a different class of drug), changed again when I came off it. I've been medication free for 8 months now and I'd say it's only recently been back to "normal" although all the other side effects and withdrawal symptoms went much earlier.

This is just a personal opinion and I am not a doctor, but I think you will get back to normal but need more than 3 months considering how long you were on the medication for. Your body has a lot of adjusting to do :)

SeroxVet
26-04-13, 03:47
Hi Ingenious. Thanks for your reply.

"I've been medication free for 8 months now and I'd say it's only recently been back to "normal" although all the other side effects and withdrawal symptoms went much earlier"

That is just what I was hoping someone would say! And while eight months is quite long - and of course it may take longer in my case - it is good to hear that it did get back to normal.

Interesting article too. There is more than enough there to suggest GlaxoSmithKline should be forced to mention this stuff in the leaflet, especially the fact that these effects can continue for months and even years after you stop taking their meds, something few people are aware of. People need this info to make an informed choice when considering going on them. For some it might be no big deal when weighed against their anxiety/depression problems, but for others it will be a very big deal. I know at least one person who has ruled out taking these drugs because her sex life is one of the few things she really enjoys.

Ingenious
26-04-13, 12:56
I agree. However GPs are just as bad. They hardly EVER mention any of the side effects or long term implications when they prescribe these medications. I guess they don't because if they did list them all, it would terrify an already anxious and depressed person. But to find out years later, you have been cured but at a cost, is annoying and somehow not quite right.

I'm sure you already do this, but if not I'd recommend doing everything you can to get your body in tip-top condition and help "flush" through (sorry not very scientific!), for example, exercise, good diet and so on. You may also benefit from exercises that target the sexual function - I found male pelvic floor exercises very, very helpful along with pilates.

philzat
18-03-14, 12:33
hi guys. i've had pleasureless orgasms /sexual anhedonia for over well over 10 years. its not improved. i took seroxat from 1998-2000.

i have only just made the connection with seroxat !
this is because i have believed that it was an hormonal issue.
i am again currently being investigated by endocrinology.
i would suggest anyone with these issues gets a hormone panel done. and hope to take it from there.

does anyone else have any thoughts on this issue ?