PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

ShyLaura
26-04-13, 05:18
Hi, I suffer from social phobia, agoraphobia and depression. I was housebound for 5 years. In the last 6 months I have been trying to get myself back out into the "real" world and I'm hoping to connect with others who are on a similar path.

Mark13
26-04-13, 17:30
Glad to have you with us, Laura.

I've found a great deal of support and guidance since I've been here.

I'm sure you will too.

flori
26-04-13, 17:56
Hi Laura. Im knew on here too and found some really helpful info.

:welcome::welcome:

Tessar
26-04-13, 22:05
Hello Laura. You are in the right place here for sure. There are many people hoping to make the same journey as you, to get back into the "real world". It's funny or perhaps I should say odd, but I am out there in "the real world" and yet sometimes I wonder if I'm in it at all. Like I try to be connected with reality & recognise what I am part of. Whilst I do want to be part of the world as a whole, I'm quite happy to also exist in my little bit of it, or the little bits I relate to and function in.
So that would be the local area where I live (& I feel most comfortable). The next best place I know & feel comfortable to exist in and around is where I work (my office is in a rural setting & the fields nearby are somewhere I feel ok to be around).
Beyond that,there are other places I go & can sometimes be ok in. i suppose it varies really, how comfortable i feel can depend on if I am mixing with people... So I am more comfy with friends I know well & in smaller groups than I am with large groups where I don't really know anyone. When I mix with work colleagues, how I feel depends on perhaps how chatty they are or how chatty I am feeling on the day.
I used to have a real problem with social anxiety & shyness. It really is possible to come out of your shell. It takes time, patience & practice but you can do it. Focusing outside myself & observing others is one of my best techniques. It really works for me.
When it comes to depression, again there is much you can do. Getting out there step by step (literally little steps, tolerating some discomfort along the way, but all part of of conditioning yourself) gradually increasing your challenges & growing in confidence. It really is a possibility. Finding the motivation of course is the first step and possibly one of the biggest.
It sounds from your post like you are ready to take that step so all credit to you for recognising that.
It can be an exciting prospect but of course loaded with apprehension. But everyone here will be backing you and will have helpful suggestions too make.
I am looking forward to helping you along the way if I can....:)

ShyLaura
30-04-13, 00:29
Thanks for the warm welcome - it really means the world! :D

hanj16
30-04-13, 00:38
A big welcome to you Laura! I suffer with social anxiety too and I know how isolating it can be. You have a postive attitude though and I'm sure that will serve you very well :D

ShyLaura
30-04-13, 02:32
Thank you hanj16! :D

ps you have a beautiful smile!

sunnysky
30-04-13, 09:45
Hi Laura

With your positive attitude, some help and support you will overcome your anxieties.Take small steps, have belief that you can do it.
Its sometimes a painful journey but a journey worth taking :D

Be kind to yourself and good luck!