PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if I have anxiety

DiscontentOptimist
26-04-13, 16:49
Hi all,

So I know for sure that I have depression, but I can't tell if I suffer from genuine anxiety issues. I guess because it never bothered me or stopped me from enjoying life, I only became hopeless when I became depressed 8 or so months ago (at least to the point I couldn't bounce back).

Some symptoms that lead me to believe I do is:

1. The night I entered the cycle of depression, I got this really uncomfortable adrenalin-y feeling slightly about my stomach, its been there since, and kinda makes my heart beat faster all the time.

2. I've always had social issues, afraid to look people in the eyes for too long, too shy to speak up or even ask someone to get out of my way if they are blocking me. I've always been insecure tho, I fight through this and some people perceive me as very confident, but it's fake.

3. I spent the last 2 years partying, I would drink as much as I need to feel confident, this turned into an issue so I quit.

4. I had one episode on a train, where I was anxious and worried I was thinking out loud and people could hear my thoughts. I was on marijuana at the time tho, I've since stopped as smoking made me anxious (it didn't initially).

5. I became a pack-a-day+ malboro red smoker a month after trying my first cigarette last year, this is the one thing I can't quit, but I've replaced smoking with just nicotine (of course, it might be the reason I feel anxious).

6. I'm too scared to do most of the things I used to.

7. Painkiller oxycodone helped me get through the day easier emotionally, after I was put on it after having my orbital broken. I felt it was so habit forming I ripped up my prescription and threw out the pills.

Thank you

Mark13
26-04-13, 17:34
Hi. Welcome aboard. You've certainly found a good place to be.

I'm sure you'll find lots of support here, as I have.

I've found that depression and anxiety invariably come together, at least in my experience.

I've had depression with anxiety and anxiety alone.

As anti-depresssants can be used to treat both ailments then in one way, a clinical diagnosis of anxiety as well as depresssion isn't really necessary - that's if you're on medication of course.

DiscontentOptimist
26-04-13, 17:40
Thank you :)

I am on Citalopram, so I am happy to think that it will kill 2 birds with one stone.

I'm only curious if I have anxiety because if I want to try other meds, like welbutrin, I heard it can increase anxiety issues!