PDA

View Full Version : I want to add Wellbutrin to Citalopram

DiscontentOptimist
26-04-13, 16:57
Hi there,

I've made the leap and agreed to take citalopram 20mg for my depression about 2.5 weeks ago. I feel generally anxious about life and have increasing social anxiety issues. But it's the depression that I care about most.

So far it has helped a bit, I think, my perspective is improving and side-effects aren't too bad, I don't sleep but that's nothing new.

Life has lost all magic and I rely on compulsive behaviors to make me feel good, most aren't too healthy, and I'm fatigued and lazy since I can remember. So I wonder, would the SNRI behaviors of Wellbutrin be a great addition for me? The dopamine regulation seems like it's something I need, but I'm no expert, I was anti-anti-medication till just a month ago.

I'm willing to wait about 4 more weeks to see if citalopram gives my spark back, but I can't stop thinking about wellbutrin. Especially that they seem to cancel out each-others side-effects, seems like a godsend :D

steveo
26-04-13, 17:41
I personally wouldn't recommend taking both an SSRI and an SNRI. It's one or the other. There are medications that act on both neurotransmitters.

If you want more Nor-adrenaline in your life why not take L-Tyrosine which is an amino acid precursor to Noradrenaline. It's sold in most health food shops.

DiscontentOptimist
26-04-13, 17:57
Hey steveo thanks for your input. I thought L-tyrosine was for serotonin production? Either way, I have very little faith in supplements. I still have a bunch of rhodalia, sam-e, sj wort etc in my cupboard.

I've read a lot of people with depression only using this combo with great success, wellbutrin is commonly prescribed in addition to citalopram from what I've read. But wellbutrin alone is said to be not good for anxious people from what I read so far.

steveo
26-04-13, 20:26
L-tryptophan is serotonin production.

These are suppliments as such. Not like rhodalia, sam-e, SJ Wort crap.

These are amino acids which are already present in us. If we truely have a chemical imbalance of these neurotransmitters, then why do we trust in SSRI's and SNRIs (which trials have been shown to be as effective as a placebo) and they DON'T increase our serotonin levels or Noradrenalin levels. They prevent reuptake and reabsorption and as you are aware, also cause terrible terrible side effects.

Unfortunately drug companies can't OWN these 2 amino acids, therefore will never put money and research into their effectiveness like they do their own drugs. These are proven to increase our levels of these neurotransmitters without the side effects.

Emphyrio
26-04-13, 23:32
I thought Wellbutrin (Bupropion) was an NDRI (norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor?) You won't get too many replies on this site as Bupropion is only licensed for smoking cessation in the UK (brand name Zyban). Some people say it works, some people say it makes them more on edge.

DiscontentOptimist
26-04-13, 23:48
L-tryptophan is serotonin production.

These are suppliments as such. Not like rhodalia, sam-e, SJ Wort crap.

These are amino acids which are already present in us. If we truely have a chemical imbalance of these neurotransmitters, then why do we trust in SSRI's and SNRIs (which trials have been shown to be as effective as a placebo) and they DON'T increase our serotonin levels or Noradrenalin levels. They prevent reuptake and reabsorption and as you are aware, also cause terrible terrible side effects.

Unfortunately drug companies can't OWN these 2 amino acids, therefore will never put money and research into their effectiveness like they do their own drugs. These are proven to increase our levels of these neurotransmitters without the side effects.

You make some good points. A lot of what you say is what I've held dear for about 6 months when I tried to take the natural route. I was going to try l-tryptophan but chose to go for 5-htp, with some small success. I tried GABA and l-tyrosine, and other precursors I can't remember. BCAA's, omega-3 etc etc, all helped take the edge off but didn't help with my depression.

Unfortunately it's not enough to have serotonin in the brain, the drugs help by creating more receptors so that more healthy connections can be made, that's why it takes so long for them to work even with plenty of serotonin available. It also induces neurogenesis (new born cells) and stops the cycle of inflammation that kills them. Drugs were my last resort, I never thought I'd take them, but I had nothing to lose anymore having tried all the 'alternative' stuff.

Last night I upped my dose of citalopram from the subtheraputic dose, and I had moments where I felt like I did over a year ago, can't really describe how good it feels lol

---------- Post added at 22:48 ---------- Previous post was at 22:45 ----------

I thought Wellbutrin (Bupropion) was an NDRI (norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor?) You won't get too many replies on this site as Bupropion is only licensed for smoking cessation in the UK (brand name Zyban). Some people say it works, some people say it makes them more on edge.

You're correct my bad. Wow that's interesting, I thought it was a really common anti-depressant. It's been shown that combining it with citalopram achieves more success rates than switching to other drugs.

steveo
27-04-13, 13:02
Wow! I did not know that about the neurogenesis! Very interesting stuff!!!

Apparently the amino acid precursors such as L-trytophan and l-tyrosine need to be taken on an empty stomach at least an hour before food to work. That's why alot of them don't work for many people.

I'm in a bit of a situation myself. Was on Citalopram 20mg for 11 years and was fine. Best 11 years of my life. Came off last october after a very slow ween and anxiety came back worse than ever before.
Instantly started back on 20mg Citalopram and this time round the medication absolutely kicked my butt!!! Struggled for 2 and a half months after no real positive results and now switched to Escitalopram. On the equivilent dose and have been for 1 and a half months and still no positive effects.

I don't know what to try next or how long to let this run it's course?

DiscontentOptimist
27-04-13, 21:56
Wow! I did not know that about the neurogenesis! Very interesting stuff!!!

Apparently the amino acid precursors such as L-trytophan and l-tyrosine need to be taken on an empty stomach at least an hour before food to work. That's why alot of them don't work for many people.

I'm in a bit of a situation myself. Was on Citalopram 20mg for 11 years and was fine. Best 11 years of my life. Came off last october after a very slow ween and anxiety came back worse than ever before.
Instantly started back on 20mg Citalopram and this time round the medication absolutely kicked my butt!!! Struggled for 2 and a half months after no real positive results and now switched to Escitalopram. On the equivilent dose and have been for 1 and a half months and still no positive effects.

I don't know what to try next or how long to let this run it's course?

Oh wow you've had quite some experience. The way I understand it, your body adapts to the drug, and stops functioning normally i.e producing serotonin because it gets it from the drug, and when you come off you're left to your own devices. Some people resolve all their issues and while on it, so they can come off with no issues. Others need medication for life.

From what I read it's extremely common that people don't get the same effect second time around, and this worries me. A lot of them say side-effects are too bad or it just doesn't work like before. But many claim they find one other SSRI that works again after some trial and error, most times I hear its Zoloft or Prozac, Escitalopram I think is too similar to Cialopram, I'd probably try up the dose, give it 2 more weeks and move on. I find it really strange. It's sad that these drugs are so mystical, but it's currently giving me a new lease on life so I can't complain :blush:

UrbanMark
20-05-13, 18:54
Not liking the fact that Citalopram doesn't work too well second time around :weep:

Emphyrio
20-05-13, 23:07
Prozac really messed me up the third time I went back on it. I just became really sensitive to meds I guess. However, once I cut down to 5mg the side effects were much more manageable. You could always try smaller doses.

I'm on 5mg of citalopram at the moment. The only annoying side effect is excess gas! I'm hoping this small dose will be enough and that I won't have to increase.