PDA

View Full Version : health anxiety disorder and panic attacks

superwoman
26-04-13, 22:53
Hi all.
Introduce myself. Hmm where do i start? Ok well i am 28, recently married and mammy to 1 child. I have been suffering with panic attacks ever since i became pregnant almost 5 years ago. This got worse as my pregnancy progressed i was paranoid that something awful was going to happen to me or my unborn baby. Also i was stressing about being a good parent. This led to a mini breakdown when my son was about 4 months old when my doctor put me on medication. Efexor helped but had awful side effects. Coming off them after a couple of years was the hardest thing i have ever had to endure. With the meds leaving my system i was a complete wreck i hit my lowest darkest moments, it was very scary. I went down the path of trying to find something physically wrong with me that was causing the anxiety and panic attacks so that the doctor could just fix it and it would go away. In turn i developed health anxiety and food anxiety. At one stage i was just afraid of everything! Petrified anything bad might happen. It was horrible, i was just existing every day i wasn't living at all. I thought i was in my own world and i couldnt step through the barrier into the real world where everyone else seemed to be. I even felt disconnected from my son which was the most upsetting thing for me. Thankfully i have come a long way and i am on the right track. I currently take fluoxetine 20mg per day and
attend cbt which really is effective. I am glad i have now found a forum that seems to be supportive and friendly and where we can understand each other. At least here nobody will tell me to just cop on and stop being silly! Or to just snap out of it as if i could if i wanted to! Im sure you've all heard your fair share of these comments. Looling forward to my journey here.

ChristopherT
27-04-13, 06:58
Good luck! Glad to hear Fluoxetine is working for you. I'm on about the 40th day, and I'm happy with the results so far. It's the first time I tried an anti depressant, so I'm glad it was good for you. Yeah, people that have not gone through it can not really understand. But I'm sure they probably mean well.

Mark13
27-04-13, 15:33
Hi. I'm sure you'll be glad you joined.

There's plenty of advice and support here.

You're not alone.

Glad things are picking up for you, I'm sure we can all understand the feeling of constant anxiety and not "living".

All the best.