PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol warning

Granny Primark
27-04-13, 08:35
My daughter comes to the end of her nurse traing in July. She seen everything or she thought she had. Shes seen people die seen operations even seen a dead person thats body was donated to medical research years ago.
However yesterday she worked with a liason nurse on the alcohol dependent unit and rang me up in tears as to what shed seen.
She brought my grandaughter round today before going work and she was virtually in tears as to what shed seen. yesterday and knowing shed got go back there today.
Theres no one who loved a glass of wine more than me, but stopped it a few years ago but replaced it with a capful of brandy in my cup of tea at nightime when I went bed.
How easy it is to go from a glass of wine to a bottle and how easy it is to go from a drop of brandy for medicinal purposes or to help us sleep?
Needless to say I went to bed without brandy in my tea last night.
Im getting a bottle of nytol today!

Tessar
27-04-13, 09:33
Such a valid point....
It is a warning to be taken seriously, my brother died as a result of alcoholism.
I have a second brother who has been dry for 6 yrs. He is lucky to be alive & at his worst he was living on the streets, one more session would have seen him gone too. Both of them were heavy drinkers all their lives & started drinking at about 15/16.
If you really get into the grip of alcoholism it is very hard to break free. But my one brother is testament to the fact it can be done & I know there are people on NMP who have beaten it too.. I know people as well who have managed to stop much earlier & also have their lives back on track now.
It's never to late to heed the warnings if you can manage it.

Pipkin
27-04-13, 09:36
Lynn,

Is it not more of a case of moderation? I only drink at the weekend and then, not very much which I doubt does me any harm. Not that I know much about it but my guess is that you might be better having a capful of brandy each night rather than Nytol, or better still, a mug of cocoa.

You're right though, alcohol misuse can be devastating to people's lives and, for some people, it's a fine line between acceptable drinking and dependency.

Pip

BobbyDog
27-04-13, 09:58
Yes, been there and got the t-shirt, though I stopped drinking 10 years ago. It not only destroys your life, but the lives of all the people you touch too.

Ingenious
27-04-13, 11:06
Is it not more of a case of moderation? I

Ideally, but I think it depends on the person. I'm afraid I am one of the ranks of former alcoholics, over several years it just crept up on me. I never could just drink in moderation and envy those who can. For me and many others one drink leads to another and another. The only cure is to stop totally.

Although I have been dry for a very long time now I would always say to people that if you can manage alcohol in your life so you're within limits and never dependent on it, then do it. Lots of people can do this with no problems.

Granny Primark
27-04-13, 11:21
Can I congratulate the people whove beaten this dreadful illness.
When I was working 8 years ago I worked 12 days on 2 days off. I couldnt drink because driving was a major part of my job. But panic set in and I couldnt work. I noticed that because of stress and anxiety if I was in an anxious situation i.e going on a long journey Id have a glass of wine to calm my nerves. I told my doctor about this and asked her to give a couple of tabs to calm me down cus we were going on holiday and travelling over 200 miles. She refused saying that they were addictive. Well whats more addictive and dangerous than alcohol?

steveo
27-04-13, 13:33
My girlfriends brother died last May from the complications of being an alcoholic for many years. Although he was sober for many years, it ruined him. He had no life. He took a fist full of meds all day to compensate for the damage on all of his organs. He died aged 40.

I've never really been a massive drinker but since then out of both respect and health reasons, I quit drinking alcohol.

I would say I feel better from it but I had a breakdown in Jan and 4 months on, I'm still very much in it!!! Maybe a beer would help me!!!

I would also add that I've nursed many patients when I was a nurse, with alcohol issues. Very upsetting.

Magic
27-04-13, 13:48
Yes i agree GP. My congatulations to everyone.
I don't know which is worse alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs.
I don't drink, I smoke, not a lot though- just when the stress kicks in.
Now drugs-- I have had, and still have anxiety and sleeping tablets,as well
as cholesterol,asprin, and pain killers.
I have tried many antidepressants, but none of them work for me.
So am I addicted? Must be.
I am very surprised 2 tablets would make anyone addictive.
You must be very proud of your daughter GrannyP:)