PDA

View Full Version : Convinced I'm going to have a asthma attack and die

pinky2681
28-04-13, 08:15
A few months ago I got 2 chests infections and one day struggled with my breathing so bad I made myself sick. My gp said it sounds like I had a asthma attack. Now everytime I get shortness of breath and hyperventalate I think I'm going to trigger myself an attack and I'll die which obv makes my breathing worse. I take 4 puffs of ventalin everytime as I'm convinced 2 puffs is not enough. Yesterday I took around 20 puffs but I'm not sure if I needed any of them. I'm just so scared of having an attack and dying. Im not even sure what the difference is to be honest.

Waiting for cbt at the min, my life is so limited already :(

flori
28-04-13, 09:47
Pinkie I have asthma too which can make anxiety worse and vise versa. Do you have a peak flow machine which would indicate if your asthma has worsened. Be careful with inhalers as too much can make you shake.

xtremx
28-04-13, 10:30
Hi pinkie

I have constant chest infections up to 10 a year and it brings me down they last for anything from 1-4 weeks a time.
My Doctor gave me a 2 inhalers for asthma and that scared me worrying that I was going to have a asthma attack and die.

But I don't us them because when I get a coughing fit or short of breath the inhalers don't do a thing so my doctor says it is not asthma so no need to use them.

Doctors do sometimes give the inhalers out as a precautionary measures and you may not even have asthma and after having them and using them for a few weeks you should go back to your doctor and discuss if they make a difference.

At the end of the day the doctors know best and you will be fine.

pinky2681
28-04-13, 23:50
Thank you. I don't have a peak flow but I do have a asthma review Tuesday so will ask then. I heard asthma is wheezing when breathing out or not being able to breath out, I seem ok I thibj at breathing out.

flori
28-04-13, 23:54
Thats good you have asthma review. They will be able to tell you. Just try and stay calm.