PDA

View Full Version : Websites I should not go on any more

unsure_about_this
28-04-13, 19:42
To stop my HA going up through the roof.

Daily Mail online (any article about the dreaded c word) I know the c word is the big fear (with so many types of cancer) it is frightening.

All cancer relation websites (NHS, bupa, macmillan etc) it just sends my HA into overdrive reading all symptoms of possible signs of cancer.

Any health website in general.

The adverts do frighten me from strokes to the other cancer adverts

yahoo answers and classic Dr Google and maybe Dr Yahoo etc.

I did see something in hot topics on yahoo 'heart disease' to scared to click on that link nor do I click on anything to do with what increases the risk of cancer or decreases cancer - because you cannot win, it's too confusing at times.

Prefer to listen to the doctor with any concerns I have.

Honeynut
28-04-13, 19:44
The dailymail website terrifies me, I remember reading something on there about sweeteners and then being convinced I had been poisoned! I too am trying to avoid most of the above places.

flori
28-04-13, 20:46
All the medical advice websites always end up the the c word. I think we all know we are better just sticking to docs advise.

unsure_about_this
28-04-13, 21:58
I also try not to go on any health forums (apart from this one) reading cancer research forum etc, so many heart breaking entries. I really feel upset reading this.

Apple81
28-04-13, 22:57
I know exactly what you mean. All the stories on the mail online seem to be around my age group and of course that worries me.

Uncertain27
22-05-13, 00:06
Google for anything health-related, or news that's not actually in the news search because it's probably someone's blog saying that the Government have the cure for everything but are hiding it to make more money.

Yahoo Answers - Always has at least one post telling to someone to call an ambulance because they might be dying when they've only got a spot.

Daily Mail - always seems to have an article about someone who died after waking up and finding their leg had fallen off or a tumour the size of a melon on their forehead and having it misdiagnosed as a cold 43 times. They probably also hint that it was caused by being on benefits. :mad:

Guardian Environment - Apparently you don't need to bother recycling your plastic bags, as the Arctic is going to melt overnight causing the planet to go off-balance, change its orbit and crash into Uranus. Or something. There also used to be intelligent life on Mars but they died out because they didn't recycle their plastic bags.

Mipsy
22-05-13, 00:50
The Daily Mail is a cancer! If its not about health worries, it's about benefit's scroungers or pointless celebs. Everything is sensationalised to make the reader want to read on. I take what I read in the DM with a pinch of salt.

katielou80
22-05-13, 08:14
My gp is freat with my ha. He absolutely hates these online sites. He said they are the reason for all of us nutters!! Ha has only been around in such big numbers since all these sites and the internet etc. He laughs when i tell him the things that these websites say, and he says.......literally where do they get this crap from, and hs been a gp and a hospital dr for 35 years!!

davey2k12
22-05-13, 08:39
just avoid google full stop lol

CharlieM
22-05-13, 08:57
Agreed - I only use this site now. Haven't googled for months :D

Darren1
22-05-13, 15:14
I have to say the Dailymail stories do not scare me. The worst things are:

BUPA
NHS
Patient.co.uk
Cancer charity website - DO NOT READ 'REAL LIFE' STORIES!!!!!!!!

almamatters
22-05-13, 15:36
The Daily Mail to me is very scary but not as bad as some women's magazines, I am no longer able to read any of them. I sometimes look on one trusted web site for health advice, but avoid the other's. I have to agree with Darren1 - never click on a true experience of someone's health matters, they are always horrible to read and send my HA spiralling.

katielou80
24-05-13, 08:13
but people who think 'normally' wouldnt even consider looking on google, if they were really worried they would just go to the drs!! people laugh when i tell them i google it! my hubby has restless legs and just to prove a point to me to see how silly i look, he googled it.......diabetes, hiv, liver or kidney problems!! he just laughed and said ' i wouldnt even think twice about it!!' plus hes had a blood test last year and everything was fine!!! just goes to show how it can do us all in and ruin our lifes x

Wolfie
24-05-13, 10:03
Will be the best thing you could ever do :) - to cut out the things which reinforce and breed fear and enhance HA.

Threnners
24-05-13, 17:08
There is a Google Chrome browser extension that will block any link from the daily mail and the daily express and will send you to Tea and Kittens. Its called Kitten Block. :)

Shivmarie
24-05-13, 18:42
Trying to avoid google that sent me into meltdown sending me to the docs, a and e and walk in centre in two days,
Daily mail sent me into meltdown, girl had a sore throat was leukaemia was missed and she died fur days later, I had a sore throat and shock I then began to fret thinking I was going through the same, it's terrifying.
I find this forum brilliant though just to be we to voice my feelings without being dismissed and laughed at x

rb1978
25-05-13, 18:02
The Daily Mail is the absolute worst. A guy i work with buys it so the rotten thing is in the office all day long with us.

It's always got some story about some person who died of a brain tumout at 19 because the doctor said it was just a headache.

Listen to your doctor...they have all your notes on screen when they see you and can work out whats wrong.

Uncertain27
25-05-13, 18:32
Trying to avoid google that sent me into meltdown sending me to the docs, a and e and walk in centre in two days,
Daily mail sent me into meltdown, girl had a sore throat was leukaemia was missed and she died fur days later, I had a sore throat and shock I then began to fret thinking I was going through the same, it's terrifying.
I find this forum brilliant though just to be we to voice my feelings without being dismissed and laughed at x
I find it extremely hard to believe that someone with leukaemia so advanced they only had four days left would just have a sore throat! Half of those articles are vastly exaggerated! :)

unsure_about_this
25-05-13, 19:06
I often think why did I look at these websites. I go the doctors and been told to get off looking at websites, but find it so hard not do so.

I also now avoid going on dental treatment websites, even though I like to improve my smile. also reading about dental tooth abscess articles

Flasharoo
30-05-13, 16:49
As everyone said just avoid google, bing, webMD, and pretty much any health related websites out there and you'll be fine :)))

pringles
31-05-13, 13:15
Never go on the daily mail website especially the health section!! THey have like five stories a day re cancer... i avoid it like the plague..

babygirl08
02-06-13, 09:35
i personally feel that the internet is the worst thing to do when you suffer from health anxiety.. seriously it just sucks that so many of us are addicted to google as if it was a drug. yet its so bad for us.:mad:

i feel like throwin my fone and laptop off a cliff that way i wouldnt feel so pressured to google all the time:-(:huh::scared15:

Tinker28
02-06-13, 17:04
Google is not your Doctor in less your doctor really does have a last name Google which would be kind of funny though, just saying!