PDA

View Full Version : Why won't doctors prescribe diazepam?

Catherine84
29-04-13, 17:56
I know it is addictive, but which is better - being on and off medication for anxiety (rather than mind altering antidepressants that make you want to top yourself, even after a month and a half, not to mention a whole host of other side effects that are unbearable), or having to drink every day to calm your nerves? I had the best night's sleep in weeks last night, and don't wake up feeling so anxious I am sick any more.

Doctors are too willing to dole out antidepressants like smarties, when they can be highly dangerous in some people (especially young people like me in the high suicide risk group), yet they won't prescribe medication that, if used responsibly when needed, has far fewer side effects and allows you to function as a human being again?

The NHS is a joke. I guess it's back to the wine again, despite the fact that it makes me feel far worse in myself the following day.

I'm sorry for the nature of my post, I just had to get it off my chest.

Catherine x

bernie1977
29-04-13, 18:11
I agree with you Catherine, a lot of people are taken in by the scare mongering about Diazepam but if you are responsible and take it under the guidance of your GP in my opinion it's ok.

I get a regular prescription for diazepam and some times I'll take it everyday then other times I don't have it for weeks. I keep a record and if I've taken it everyday for more than 3 weeks I make myself go 7 days without to check I'm not addicted and not once have I had any sign of withdrawal which would indicate addiction.

I found SSRI and SNRI Antidepressants to be awful they made me so ill and were a nightmare to come off, but I was never warned about the withdrawal from these. I had a horrid time getting off venlafaxine and I will never take these drugs again.

flori
30-04-13, 00:10
I totally agree with Catherine and Bernie. I get prescribed diazepam ,only because 28 lasts me about 3 months. Anti depresents make me feel really terrible. At times though, I feel I need to take a diazapam but cant because gp is so strict. I know they are addictive but when gp knows the level of anxiety and a person is responsible, more lee-way should be given.

Granny Primark
30-04-13, 04:33
Snap!!! I totally agree with you all.
Whats more addictive and dangerous than alcohol and cigarettes?
My doctors wont prescribe diazapam.
At least the doctors know what you are taking and how many.
It really doesnt make sense to me.

little wren
30-04-13, 08:22
I found SSRI and SNRI Antidepressants to be awful they made me so ill and were a nightmare to come off, but I was never warned about the withdrawal from these. I had a horrid time getting off venlafaxine and I will never take these drugs again.

I agree bernie - they dish ssri's out like sweets but don't tell you that they are horrendous to come off. I am still to scared to take diazepam (because I think I would become addicted as I cannot even come off prozac now and that is not supposed to be addictive). In hindsight I would never have gone on the medication route with ssri's.

Catherine84
30-04-13, 10:24
I agree bernie - they dish ssri's out like sweets but don't tell you that they are horrendous to come off. I am still to scared to take diazepam (because I think I would become addicted as I cannot even come off prozac now and that is not supposed to be addictive). In hindsight I would never have gone on the medication route with ssri's.

I definitely agree with you. I have already tried Prozac and Citalopram - the latter I came off this week, and I could just not stop being sick. Now, on the diazepam, I am eating a normal amount and my weight has gone back up. But they won't give me any more after this last prescription.

Instead, they want me on Mirtazapine or Sertraline. I am so scared.

scaredykat9
30-04-13, 10:37
Hi all!!
I am in Australia & am interested that u all seem to have my same gripe. I drink FAR too much & have been honest with my GP about this. He still won't prescribe anything for my severe anxiety/ocd but SSRI's which dont work...so i now am taking temazepam (sleeping tabs) before i go to the bank or post office. Basically Anything to get me out of the house & beat the agoraphobia. I dont like being drunk but it seems to be my only option to actually get out of my house & pay bills or i am going to lose my house/power etc. surely a prescribed yet addictive drug would be better than me drinking a bottle of bourbon a day?!?! Yes i feel desperate & drunk or i would not be on this site. Just wondering if anything is different in UK....is it that Dr's get held responsible for prescribing anything addictive but its ok if their patients top themselves with alcohol? ?
:shrug:

hanshan
30-04-13, 12:37
Why won't doctors prescribe diazepam?

Because they've been told that it is addictive, and that is bad.

I think the reality is somewhat more complex - just needing it to function reasonably every day does not make it "addictive", as such.

The problem is not people suffering from anxiety who need it to survive and become dependent (they usually stay on a steady dose for many years), but recreational drug users who get hooked and start doctor shopping to feed their habit.

GPs need to learn to distinguish between the two categories of people.

Liviguy
30-04-13, 12:58
I have to say the 4 diazepam tablets I have taken have really helped me through the worst days.

I only have 2 left and they won't give me any more, so I am keeping them in case of dire emergency.

flori
30-04-13, 16:48
As I was saying above , I do get prescribed them ,but I have to make them last.
I had a funeral today and have been dreading it all week. I took half before going out and half when I came in because I was shaking.
Its only because I make them last I get them.
I really do think the gps are awful strict.

JohnBliss
30-04-13, 18:13
Diazepam was the only medication which ever worked for me but I have not been able to have them on prescription for years -I only ever took them in situations when I felt really anxious-surely doctors can monitor patients to make sure noone gets a daily habit if there are concerns about withdrawal - refusing to prescribe to anyone is a nonsense- I'm finding a similar situation now with Voltarol which I take for the occasional attack of gout and which is the only medication which works for me but because some people have reacted badly to it I really have to fight for it despite having used it for years with no problems !!!

flori
30-04-13, 18:46
I think if a person needs them, they help and they are responsible then gps should give them. I have been really bad at times, pacing up and down house, not knowing what to do to ease anxiety. I have the diazepam , but am too scared to take them, because they are limited. At times my family have said its not right either.

nok_tok
30-04-13, 23:08
for me Diazepam is like gold dust...thing is the 2mg doesnt effect me in the slightest..never has..my doc will only give me 2mg so i have to take 2-3 to even feel a slight effect..and will only pescribe me about 7/8 at a time..they dont like giving them out at my surgery..i had to practically beg for them...i only take them when i need them...but it is honestly the only thing that works for me! it just gets me to a level where i can stop shaking and start getting a grip..

hanshan
01-05-13, 11:29
An interesting point raised here is those people who have a small supply of a benzodiazepine, and only take it occasionally. They can't be described as addicted or even dependent, and if their doctor trusts them that they are not shopping around, then questions of addiction should not influence the prescription.

I notice that the literature has started to differentiate between drug dependence and addiction. Addiction now seems to describe a situation where a person keeps seeking a drug, even when it is having negative effects. Since benzodiazepines are regarded as very safe, the focus of the anti-benzo lobby has shifted to increased falls among the elderly taking them, and so on.

I'm not saying that benzodiazepine dependence is necessarily a nice place to be - there are plenty of websites for people who want to break their dependence - but there are also many people who feel they are being denied the opportunity to make a rational choice concerning what they feel to be a beneficial medication.

little wren
02-05-13, 06:17
Hi I just wanted to ask - are people taking diazepam to be able to do the 'normal' things of life e.g. walk their dog or get to the shop or do you take it only when it is something big like a wedding?

flori
02-05-13, 10:54
Little wren, Most times I have to take them , just to do normal things like going to the shops. Sometimes I manage without them. If I am really bad indoors the diazapam is there if I need them. My gp knows I am really careful with them and Im aware of the addiction. Its the only thing that works for me.
Antidepressants just make me worse.

hanshan
03-05-13, 10:23
One of the features of generalized anxiety is that people suffer high levels of anxiety concerning ordinary troubles that other people cope with and put out of their minds.

In my experience, anxiety, unlike depression, can change a lot, even over the course of one day or one week.

If someone takes a benzodiazepine on an irregular basis to deal with occasional high levels of anxiety, then I would say they are "needful', rather than "dependent".

flori
03-05-13, 11:10
hanshan, I agree. Quite recently a family member was hospitalized. Because of anxiety, I thought the worst and got myself into a real bad state. I went to gp(who I had only met for the first time) and asked if it would ok to take an extra one when needed. She said no, they were too addictive. She suggested I try to come off them as I was letting a pill rule my life. I told her straight, no they dont. I know exactly when I need to take them and no way was diazepam ruling my life. She implied I was dependent on them.
I went back to my usual gp who prescribed them and told me always to come to him. I mean 28 for 3 months. Whats the problem.

hanshan
03-05-13, 11:28
You don't say the strength of the tablet, but 28 tablets for three months is one every three days on average, so I'd say no problem.

flori
03-05-13, 11:41
Hanshan, Its 5mg and sometimes I half them. I know they are addictive and they are abused on the street. But I do feel genuine anxiety sufferers who are struggling to cope, are suffering and dont get them prescribed because of this.
At times Im almost embarrassed at picking up my prescription because of the name.

hanshan
03-05-13, 12:52
Hi Flori.

I agree. The quantity you indicate to me does not equate to addiction.

granny85
03-05-13, 15:55
I was on sleeping pills for about 8 years and came off last year (gradually & with no side effects) . I agree, they don't make you feel half as bad in the morning; in fact I miss the 'spring in my step' I used to have. Now on Venlafaxine, which is OK, but am still anxious about health & new places; the couple of bottles of wine per night help a lot, but hardly ideal, is it??? Now health anxiety about the state of my liver is probably justified!! AND I am smoking more & more !!

hanshan
04-05-13, 12:14
Hi Granny,

My take is that if you are going to be dependent on something, then benzodiazepines are way better than cigarettes and alcohol. But this kind of discussion never happens with most GPs.

kittikat
04-05-13, 13:11
Luckily, I have no problem being prescribed Diazepam by my GP. I have used in on an 'as & when' basis for the past 6 yrs or so and it was a lifesaver for me. After my breakdown in Nov 2011, I was prescribed 15mg a day...I really don't know where I would be now if I hadn't had such an understanding doctor.

SSRI's made my condition worse so the only thing that gave me some respite was the diazepam. I do believe it has it's benefits in the treatment of anxiety sufferers. I have been on it now for nearly 18 months and have slowly decreased to 8mg a day. My intention is to go back to 'as & when' use only and my doc is quite happy for me to take my taper at my own pace. I am monitored regularly and see him every 2-3 weeks for a check up.

I started SNRI Venlafaxine last August which has helped reduce my anxiety so now is the right time for me to continue with my Diazepam withdrawal.

The problem is, as mentioned before, Diaz has now become a 'street drug' and is being widely abused without proper professional monitoring. Yes, we know it is addictive, but can that also not be said about anti d's which are handed out like smarties by many doctors?

I am sure the discussion will run and run but in my opinion Diazepam bought me out of a very bad place and I have no problem admitting that I take it, I don't abuse it, and I will continue to take it if I need it, knowing that my GP will prescribe it for me with no problem.

Kitti :)

flori
04-05-13, 18:42
Kittikat.
I too have an understanding gp who prescribes them.
Can I ask what the difference is between SSRI and SNRI, if you don`t mind.

kittikat
04-05-13, 19:04
Kittikat.
I too have an understanding gp who prescribes them.
Can I ask what the difference is between SSRI and SNRI, if you don`t mind.

An SSRI is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor
Drug class
Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors or serotonin-specific reuptake inhibitor are a class of compounds typically used as antidepressants in the treatment of depression, anxiety disorders, and some personality disorders.

An SNRI is a serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor
Drug class
Serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors are a class of antidepressant drugs used in the treatment of major depression and other mood disorders.

SNRI's are capable of acting on both norepinephrine and serotonin. Low levels of these two neurotransmitters are known to be a factor in depression. However, norepinephrine affects energy levels and level of alertness, while serotonin's sphere of influence is on mood. Because of this unique dual action in raising levels of both serotonin and norepinephrine, SNRI's combat more than one cause of depression.

Both are used in the treatment of anxiety and depression.

Hope this helps. Kitti :)

flori
04-05-13, 23:25
Kittie, thanks for the info. Glad you eventually found meds that help you.

Flori x

nicola1980
05-05-13, 02:18
Hi i too have been on a daily dose of diazepam since my breakdown 18 months ago, i was first on 10mg a day and have gradually now Im feeling better weaned myself down to 4mg a day, my doc knows i don't abuse diazepam so is quite happy to prescribe me it, if it wasn't for the diazepam then i dread to think what state i would have been in as i was literally bed bound with severe anxiety, my doc feels diazepam has its place in my treatment and is happy for me to take my taper as slow as i feel comfortable with which is cutting 1mg out every month, I hate being reliant on diazepam and will never go over my tapered dose of 4mg a day no matter how bad i feel some days, Im now taking venlafaxine after many other failed ADs which thankfully has helped enormously, diazepam certainly has it place in helping up recover and if used properly i don't feel its a problem x x x

Neutralview
01-09-16, 19:03
I know it is addictive, but which is better - being on and off medication for anxiety (rather than mind altering antidepressants that make you want to top yourself, even after a month and a half, not to mention a whole host of other side effects that are unbearable), or having to drink every day to calm your nerves? I had the best night's sleep in weeks last night, and don't wake up feeling so anxious I am sick any more.

Doctors are too willing to dole out antidepressants like smarties, when they can be highly dangerous in some people (especially young people like me in the high suicide risk group), yet they won't prescribe medication that, if used responsibly when needed, has far fewer side effects and allows you to function as a human being again?

The NHS is a joke. I guess it's back to the wine again, despite the fact that it makes me feel far worse in myself the following day.

I'm sorry for the nature of my post, I just had to get it off my chest.

Catherine x

Sorry I know this an old thread but I agree with everything you said. I'm in the same situation I've seen like 10 doctors/gps from several gp surgeries here in Manchester & most of them refuse to either prescribe diazepam/xanax or refuse to increase the dosage. Whereabouts do you live?? Is it the same everywhere in the UK?? I'd think it's the same everywhere except London or counties near London like Essex,Bedfordshire I'm pretty sure the gps/doctors there commonly prescribe tranquilisers & even at higher doses. I used to live in Dunstable,Bedfordshire & the doctor started me on 4mg 4 times a day that's like 15mg of diazepam a day!! Here in Manchester they prescribe diazepam at ridiculusouly low doses like 2mg 2 or 3 times a day. IF all the doctors refuse to prescribe diazepam/xanax I'll start drinking like you said every day or every 2 days it's the only way to loosen me up, to make me calm or to make me feel relaxed besides benzos

dale12345
02-09-16, 01:01
I have been taking it off and on for years I never had a problem. But I am not a Dr.

Mermaid16
02-09-16, 01:08
I came across this little snippet whilst researching anti depressant withdrawal (which I am currently going through. It is a very interesting read).
I have attached the link to the article. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles

A review of the management of antidepressant discontinuation symptoms.

Despite having a superior side-effect profile, second-generation antidepressants have been reported to be associated with a discontinuation syndrome upon withdrawal . In a comparison between the withdrawal reactions of patients treated with benzodiazepines and antidepressant medication for panic disorder, Offidani and colleagues found both classes of drugs to be associated with the same type of problem upon discontinuation. They also suggest that most of the newer antidepressant medications used for anxiety disorders have ‘similar, if not more pronounced’ dependence problems than benzodiazepines, despite the latter being used less and less often in the treatment of anxiety for this precise safety concern.

Shazamataz
02-09-16, 01:15
I came across this little snippet whilst researching anti depressant withdrawal (which I am currently going through. It is a very interesting read).
I have attached the link to the article. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles

A review of the management of antidepressant discontinuation symptoms.

Despite having a superior side-effect profile, second-generation antidepressants have been reported to be associated with a discontinuation syndrome upon withdrawal . In a comparison between the withdrawal reactions of patients treated with benzodiazepines and antidepressant medication for panic disorder, Offidani and colleagues found both classes of drugs to be associated with the same type of problem upon discontinuation. They also suggest that most of the newer antidepressant medications used for anxiety disorders have ‘similar, if not more pronounced’ dependence problems than benzodiazepines, despite the latter being used less and less often in the treatment of anxiety for this precise safety concern.

Wow, that's really interesting!

I think the issue with benzos in comparison is that they have an instant effect so are open to abuse and in demand by people who just want to get high as opposed to relief from anxiety.

I was told quetiapine is also problematic in this way. Not withdrawal as such (I don't know about that) but there is a market for them as they give you a stoned feeling.

Mermaid16
02-09-16, 02:36
Wow, that's really interesting!

I think the issue with benzos in comparison is that they have an instant effect so are open to abuse and in demand by people who just want to get high as opposed to relief from anxiety.

I was told quetiapine is also problematic in this way. Not withdrawal as such (I don't know about that) but there is a market for them as they give you a stoned feeling.

Yes, and I think the other problems with benzos is that you build up a tolerance to it a lot quicker, so need to updose to get the same effect. I think this possibly happens with Anti Depressants as well to a certain extent, but the time frame needed for the up dose with the AD is over a much longer period of time.

Mermaid16
02-09-16, 02:38
Article is attached is anyone is interested in reading it :shrug:

Shazamataz
02-09-16, 03:59
I had a quick look but too brain dead to read it today. How are you doing with your sert withdrawal?

Mermaid16
02-09-16, 07:30
Hi Shaz. I dropped to 50 on Tuesday and at the moment don't feel to shabby. The doc prescribed Valium 2mg morn, noon and night, I think to keep a constant level in my body to stop the high anxiety. Thing is that right now I don't think I really need it three times a day and don't know if I should stick with that or just take it morn and noon and forget the night, as I don't really need it because I've had the Mirt. It is really strange because when I did the first drop of 25mg I really felt it, but I did the last drop on Tuesday and have really felt it yet. I am kind of waiting for it to happen though. I think I will do the morn and lunch dose and forget the night and if the poop hits the fan so to speak, than I can always reinstate the 2mg. It's great you got to catch up with your nephew, even if you didn't feel like it, at least you pushed yourself and it would have distracted you a little. It sounds like such a beautiful area you live in with the beaches and the bush. Where about in NZ do you live. Would love to visit NZ one of these days. Xx

Shazamataz
02-09-16, 08:01
I'm in Dunedin, down south. It is a lovely place to live and a great place to have dogs.

Hopefully you won't feel bad with the drop. Definitely take as little of the diaz as you need. Though there is probably good reasoning behind taking the same amount each day for a short spell.

Another bad day but have survived it!