PDA

View Full Version : DVT fears? Can I ask for a blood test?

Anxiety Jim
29-04-13, 20:01
I for the past few hours I've had a pain in the back of my left left, just below the back of the knee, it's like a sharp pain, and my left leg from the knee down feels swollen. I can't feel the pain when lying down but it hurts when I'm standing or walking.

I've had a DVT fear before my Dr felt my leg said it felt ok, then later that night I rushed to A+E in a panic, they did a d-dimer said it was fine after a few hour weight and sent me home.

I'm obese and I was sat down at my computer on an uncomfortable chair for about 3 hours then stood up to go to the toilet and thats when I noticed the pain.

By coincidence I've got a nurses appointment tomorrow for blood pressure check up. I will mention the pain to the nurse, but does anyone know how I can ask for a blood test? Whenever i mention one of my fears to a dr/nurse they examine me and talk about it etc, and all I ever seen to do is nod along and then leave, even if my concerns haven't been eased at all, so I end up going back in a few days, but still just nod along to what they say.

Also, has anyone had a DVT before? What happened?

Thanks,

fluff
29-04-13, 20:44
You poor thing, I like your carrot btw :-)
I think just ask if you could have a blood test. I know exactly what you mean when you say the doctors talk and we just have to nod and leave reminded me of times ive been and do that :-)
Sorry I havnt been much help hope they help you more tomorow good luck x

Anxiety Jim
29-04-13, 20:55
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Maybe with it being a nurse I've seen once a week for a while I might have a bit more luck, I'm going to try to psych myself up for it. Or maybe write it down.

fluff
29-04-13, 20:58
Yeah you go for it and ask her I understand how you feel its difficult asking because they know we have anxiety and I always think they' ll just judge me on that

Anxiety Jim
29-04-13, 22:15
OK now the pain at the far left of my chest has came back (which I had yesterday) and I've only just connected it to the DVT fears, and I've been short of breath the last two days, which I'd put down to anxiety.

I'm working my self up into a right mess... :-(

eastofeden
06-05-13, 15:33
My d dimer was high last week. I've been to the dr 3 times since asking for a retest and they keep saying no! I don't understand. They give you all these tests when you don't need them, then when you do, the say no?! I feel like a fool. They said don't come to a and e but ask your gp instead. That means another week of waiting anxiously! Ugh. They're acting like I'm wasting their time when im in serious pain. Let us know how you got on, Jim.