PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a good book?

hanj16
30-04-13, 15:02
Hi everyone,

I have alot of time on my hands at the moment and one way I fill this time up is by reading. I love to read about pretty much anything and everything - autobiographies, the classics, crime thrillers etc.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a book that they have particularly enjoyed reading?

Thanks
Hannah :)

MARK1971
30-04-13, 16:11
Hi there, try the century trilogy by ken folley or any of his books... Guaranteed to occupy the busiest of minds ;)

flori
30-04-13, 16:12
Hanj. dont know where you`re from, but in the uk there was a programme ` Call the midwife` It was based on the working life of midwife Jennifer Worth in the 1950`s . Her books are Call the midwife, Beyond the Shadow of the Workhouse and In the Midst of Life. I have read the first 2 and am about to start on the 3rd.
I find them interesting but shocked at how families were treated in the workhouse late 1800 and to 1950`s. My opinion, they are good books.

Granny Primark
30-04-13, 16:15
The promise by Daniel Steele. Its the best book ive ever read. Also there is a book called Flowers in the attic. Its part of 3 and there was also a film made of it. Im pretty certain that its a true story.

clio51
30-04-13, 16:18
Any susan lewis books are good, I find was I get chapter in I can't put them down.

Edie
30-04-13, 16:45
Hannah, You might like Read It Swap It, which is an online book swapping club.

Carlos Ruiz Zafon writes some really good novels. I recently read The Midnight Palace by him, which was good.

Kells81
30-04-13, 17:02
All the penny Vincenzi books are amazing and they are nice and big so they take longer than just a few nights to read which I love!

hanj16
30-04-13, 20:00
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I'll start working my way through them all and see what I think :)

Pipkin
30-04-13, 21:09
Hi Hannah,

If you like crime thrillers, try Mystery Man by Colin Bateman. It's really good, very funny with real suspense too. I'm not usually a laugh aloud person but this really got me going.

In a completely different genre, Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden is wonderful - so detailed and beautifully written. I would highly recommend it.

Pip x

little wren
30-04-13, 21:57
Hi Hannah - 'Memoirs of a Geisha' is a very interesting read - One of my all time faves is 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII' by Alison Weir - if you like accurate, historical, novels which can really give you a feel for the Tudor courts and the way women were pawns in a game of power. There are so many I could mention (I love books), it will take you a while if you are planning to read all the ones recommended here :winks:.

Tessar
30-04-13, 21:59
My partner reads alot of crime fiction. How much "detail" are u able to tolerate on, shall we say "the gory" side. Only, i think what she reads can be quite graphic so perhaps i'd have to check with her rather than just tell u wots on her bookshelf!

on a different note, sometimes she reads autobiographies too.... This one was really good she said.....it's not all Humour, there are serious bits in it too. In fact, there were many times when she was reading it that she wanted to read bits to me. That's a sure sign it was a good book.

Dear Fatty by Dawn French

Dawn French is one of the greatest comedy actresses of our time, with a career spanning nearly three decades and encompassing a vast and brilliant array of characters that would eventually establish her as a national treasure.

She first appeared on the British entertainment scene as part of the groundbreaking alternative comedy group, the Comic Strip, which marked a radical departure from the more traditional comedy acts of the time. Later came the all-female Girls on Top with Jennifer Saunders, Ruby Wax and Tracy Ullman. Then, as part of the wildly successful duo, French and Saunders, Dawn helped create a repertoire of brilliantly observed recurring characters parodying popular culture and impersonating everything from Madonna and Harry Potter to The Exorcist. Dawn's more recent role in The Vicar of Dibley again has showcased not only her talent but also her ability to take a controversial issue and make it mainstream and funny. From her early years as an RAF child to her flat-sharing antics with Jennifer Saunders, from her outspoken views on sizeism to her marriage to Lenny Henry, Dear Fatty will chronicle the fascinating and hilarious rise of a complex, dynamic and unstoppable woman.

bernie1977
30-04-13, 22:18
Hi Hannah,

For crime fiction I like Martina Cole, you can them up fairly cheaply second hand from amazon or eBay.

I also like the books from the Tudor era by Philipa Gregory

little wren
01-05-13, 06:17
Hi Hannah,

For crime fiction I like Martina Cole, you can them up fairly cheaply second hand from amazon or eBay.

I also like the books from the Tudor era by Philipa Gregory

Have you read 'The Other Boleyn Girl' Bernie - highly recommend it :)

bernie1977
01-05-13, 09:14
Have you read 'The Other Boleyn Girl' Bernie - highly recommend it :)

Hi Little Wren, yes I've read The Other Boleyn Girl. I've read all of Philippa Gregory books and eagerly await a new one coming out!!

hanj16
01-05-13, 10:59
Thanks ever so much for your book ideas everyone, I really appreciate it. Little Wren you're right it's going to take me a while to get through all these but I love a challenge :).

Hi Tessar, in regards to gory detail in books, it really doesn't bother me at all so I'd be happy to hear your partners recommendations :). Have you or your partner ever read the PJ Tracy crime thrillers? PJ Tracy is a pseudonym for a mother and daughter writing team. They write in such a clever and witty way. They are definitely worth a read.

Thanks again guys, I'm going to add all these books to my 'To Read' list! :D

Hannah

sg1985
03-07-13, 22:21
I've just finished Jon Ronson's books, they were quite interesting, particularly The Psychopath Test. Well worth checking out if your interested in his kind of stuff.

noeoe
21-02-14, 06:42
I just finished reading Time Traveller's Wife, worth reading