PDA

View Full Version : Worried, worried, worried...

star2sparkle
01-05-13, 10:29
I hope someone may be able to offer pearls of wisdom, they would be appreciated :-)
I suffer from what I class as mild agoraphobia (can get about, though not walking and not alone) and anxiety, sometimes panic attacks and specific phobias.
Okay, so a friend wants me to go on an evening out. This is good, have been out before and survived! Normally locally and this time, it isn't quite so local but to a city (worse places for agoraphobics!). I will be driving (so have some control) but it will take a good hour to get there, may have to pick someone up on the way...may not be able to park that close to the club (that worries me) and, well, this is way out of my comfort zone.
Today I am doing a trial run by driving there with my step son and back again, practising all I know about acceptance and being limp, etc, etc...trying to gain a positive memory so that I feel like I can do it on Friday, looking at the parking...but I am just not sure at all.
The place I am going to could be really busy (which is eek! to me) and what if (the typical what ifs) I get really anxious when I have three people that need to go home, don't understand anxiety at all and probably want to stay out? And just simply, what if I have a panic attack, if this situation triggers one?
I must be mad to even consider doing this but equally, I really want to do it, make it a positive experience. I have tried educating my friends about anxiety but you know what it is like with people who really don't have empathy!
Does anyone have any ideas...or should I literally abandon the idea...I just don't know :-( I just don't want to be an agoraphobic for the night but can I really take a night off?

Thank you

aggiecuttler
01-05-13, 14:14
you are being very brave stepping out of your comfort zone, i can offer one peice of advice and that is a carry things in my bag which make me happy, little bits and bobs which give me peice of mind, and i take it everywhere, i also write a journal every day and this helps so much i look forward to writing it at the end of the day and seeing how over time things have changed. if you are driving then when you are out, keep telling yourself you have a get out clause your car, you can always go back and sit in there i keep books in our car snacks etc and a blanket make it a haven, and it may give you some peice of mind good luck