PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Anxiety Med please?

mrslala
01-05-13, 19:40
Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this is the right sub forum to post as didnt know if I should post it under medication.

I was wondering from experience what the best anti anxiety med would be please? I have tried nortriptyline but the weight gain was too much my doc took me off it - despite trying to diet so much and excercise.

Wondered what the best anti anxiety med would be please ?
Thank you
x:)

doctorjohn
01-05-13, 19:41
not got a lot of experience in that field but DIAZEPAM/VALIUM short term is wonderful

flori
02-05-13, 01:14
Diazepam works for me. But has to be used sparingly. 28 roughly 3 months.

Dazza123
02-05-13, 10:17
I've tried them all and suffered bad side effects from them all. Been on sertraline for a month, with high dose of diazepam to help them settle, just starting to feel slightly calmer now so looking like it might work.

PanchoGoz
02-05-13, 10:39
There is no best med, it depends on you on a person and it is different for everyone. You will have to try a few that the doctor recomends and decide between short term treatment or a longer course.

hanshan
02-05-13, 12:51
Short-term, I'd have to say a benzodiazepine like diazepam (but there are many varieties, including the related z-drugs). These really do work quickly to relieve anxiety. However, doctors worldwide are under strong pressure not to prescribe these on an ongoing basis, so you'll probably find it hard to find someone who will continue to prescribe these.

The usually recommended medication these days is an antidepressant, an SSRI or SNRI or NaSSa or whatever. I have to say, I've never really found any of these much chop for anxiety. First, you have to wait a couple of weeks to see if it's working (hardly useful for a panic attack happening now), and even then the results are pretty dicey.

For me, pregabalin has been the best medication for general anxiety. I noticed an effect fairly quickly. Furthermore, it has low dependence potential, so it can be prescribed long-term.

Rennie1989
02-05-13, 19:26
We are not doctors and cannot tell you what is the 'BEST' anxiety medication on the market. Each medication works differently for different people, person A may have a drug that works for them that causes discomfort for person B. Or, like me, none seem to work at all. It's just trial and error unfortunately, there's no magic pill yet.