PDA

View Full Version : Questions about phobias

dojo45
01-05-13, 22:15
Hi, my name is Phoebe and I am in 8th grade. I'm doing a project for my English class about phobias and I would really appreciate if some people would be willing to answer a few questions about their phobias. I myself have emetophobia and I'm interesting in learning about other peoples' perspectives and lives.

Are you male or female?
How old are you?
What is/are your phobia(s)?
How long have you had it? Do you remember how it started?
Have you ever sought out professional help? If so, do you feel that it worked?
Have you ever used online or other self help methods to try to cure your phobia?
What type of things does your phobia prevent you from doing that most people have no problem doing?
Would you describe yourself as ever being depressed?
Do you have any other anxiety disorders? If so, do you think they have stemmed from your phobia?
On a scale of 1-10 (1 being barely and 10 being all the time), how often does your phobia prevent you from living your life normally?
Do you feel that people take your phobia seriously?
Do you have any advice for others who are suffering from a phobia?

Thank you so much! :)

annette1
08-05-13, 12:59
Yes of course Phoebe, happy to help.

1. female
2. 56
3. meat, feet
4. 5yrs, it started when i developed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
5. Yes, I have had 3yrs psychotherapy. It was a great help, she encouraged me to face my fears instead of avoiding them.
6. Online, no. Self help, yes.
7. Shopping in meat aisle, eating out, cooking. Feet, couldnt have them uncovered, wore socks & closed in shoes for 2yrs.
8. Yes
9. I have PTSD, my phobias are part of that
10. A while ago I would have said daily, I am more in control now & can cook & eat beef & lamb. Dont think I will ever be able to eat chicken though. Feet- i am fine with feet now, it has taken strength & determination to get to that stage.
11. A big NO!
12. Work with a professional to help you to understand why you have the phobia. It is possible to recover from phobias, but you do need help. Don't expect others to understand unless they have a true phobia.

dojo45
09-05-13, 00:59
Wow, it sounds like you've been through a lot. You are very courageous to try to cure your phobias while dealing with PTSD. Thank you for your response :)