PDA

View Full Version : Would a Change do me good?

expecto patronum
25-09-06, 12:45
I was feeling better on Friday- even though I had the same dizziness all the time it seemed easier not to fixate on it so much and I had quite a good day- and while I was feeling better I came up with a plan for trying to make myself a bit happier: At the moment I am pretty down, dealing with this constant off-balance feeling; because of this I really don't enjoy my job (admin) although its something that I do enjoy when feeling good (ie before the last 6 months) Both my concerntration levels and my confidence are not very good as I feel constantly distracted by the dizzy symptom and the worrying about it, and so I feel stuck in a situation where I can't do my job very well (and its been noticed and commented on that I don't do it well) and I am very quiet and un-self confident with people.
My plan is this; I only earn £175 pw (4 days) at the moment, and it suddenly occured to me that there was a way I could move down to london and make the same amount while looking for a full-paying job in textiles (I have a degree in fashion/textiles but it can take months or even years for graduates to find jobs) : I could live with my aunt and work for this textile studio that I did a placement for before, they would give me a placement paying £100 a week and as I am a graduate I could see if they would let me do a 4 day week for them, giving me a spare day a week to research for my business plan that I'm doing. Being in London would also be much better for doing on the spot research and I could meet up with my friend who I'm setting it up with. I could see my boyfriend on Saturdays and get a waitressing job on Sundays, make time-and-a-half wages which would pay for my therapy costs. Having an enjoyable and creative job and hopefully making some friends and having a social life wouldn't take away the biggest problem in my life but it would make me a bit happier.
BUT; I don't know if I'm ready, is it a good idea to make such changes when you're in a vulnerable state?? The other issue is finding a therapist who I think will be as good as the one i've lined up to see where i live now.

net
25-09-06, 16:13
i'm all for change thats positive and if the pros outway the cons then go for it
but do you want to make a change cos of how you feel now and once you start to feel less vulnerable will you regret your decision

if you know you will be happier in london and have a good support network there then do it

my personal opinion is carry on with making the plans but give it more time before doing anything so you can make sure its the right decision for you

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

expecto patronum
26-09-06, 14:44
Thanks, yeah you're probably right I should give it some time to think about it.

maynooth
26-09-06, 21:03
Hi Rosie indecision is a major problem for anxiety sufferers.We are always changing our minds especially when it comes to changes which are going to effect our future.The thing I find annoying is that you can never tell which one is going to be best for you as we're not psychic.I think the best thing to do is not to be impulsive.Stop thinking about the problem for a while.As thinking about it constantly will wreck your head.Some times when I have to make a major decision I think ya definately I should do it, then two minutes later I think no I definately shouldnt do it.Also I think if you are thinking that a change will solve your anxiety you may be only setting yourself up for disappointment.Some times its the person that has to change and not the environment.If you have peace of mind it doesnt matter where you are.Any way best of luck Jon

"You have to live with fear to live without fear!"

clickaway
26-09-06, 23:19
Sounds like this move has some good potential.

Is there any way you could so at least some of it as a trial?

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

W.I.F.T.S.
27-09-06, 13:11
I can totally see where you're coming from. I've been weighing up leaving my current job for years, but I've been holding out for a decent job to come along (fear of making a mistake). It's now got to a point where I know that I want to leave and I'm having panic attacks everyday before I go to work. Bravely, I think, I've decided to take some time off sick to look for another job and to try and unwind- I'm not intending on going back to my old job.

I think that you're in a similar situation, you know that there is something that you want to do and you feel disallusioned with what you're currently doing....but it's that agonising 'should i?', 'shouldn't i?'.

I know that when I have another job and I'm moving towards doing something with my life (my ambition is to qualify as a football coach and to not have to worry about money so much), that it will be a huge weight off my shoulders and that I'll feel so much better. I know it's scary, but follow your dream, don't stick with something which is safe but unfulfilling because that will be what's causing you to feel stressed, depressed or anxious.

In some ways I wish that I hadn't moved home because now I feel trapped here. I get very anxious going out of town, but then that soon melts away and i enjoy a change of scenery.

You've got your aunty and mate for support. In the excitement you might even 'forget' to be anxious or depressed!!

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

expecto patronum
27-09-06, 16:46
Thanks for your replies. I still can't decide what to do...argh, indecision!!!! Anyway I have a 'meeting' tommorrow with my boss and the head of personnel so I may not have to make the decision myself!!