PDA

View Full Version : Endocarditis

Frankie123
02-05-13, 06:39
I am absolutely terrified of developing endocarditis. I have an aortic valve heart problem. Recently have developed a tooth abscess and the few teeth I have left are all rotten due to my fear of dentists and haven't been for years. Am seeing a dentist today but am terrified that I have left it too late and will now develop endocarditis because I know bad dental hygiene is a big risk factor. I am so frightened at the moment.

xtremx
02-05-13, 08:39
Hi Frankie

Yes endocarditis can develop due to poor dental hygiene and and the onset can be slow or quick.
I have myself gone down the I have endocarditis route before as not long after a dental visit (the 1st one is 15 year) I developed splinter hemorrhages and also I was born with a heart defect.

So I went and seen my doctor who order a quick and simple blood test called a esr blood test that measures for inflammation and he also listened for a mummer.

But nothing came of it.. So if you are worried at all about endocarditis please go see the doctor as it is all very good posting on nmp but something's are best left to the doctor and this is one of them. But as you have said you have had bad teeth for a very long time and if endocarditis was to develop I would have thought it would have long ago and you would know about it as you would be very ill.

I have spoken to someone who's husband was hospitalized with it will I was worried about it and that was of a comfort as it is treatable if caught in time.

So pop to the doctor for a quick chat and they should be able to put your mind at ease.