PDA

View Full Version : DWP Work Activity Group

Nechtan
02-05-13, 12:26
Hi all,

Not posted in a while but looking for some help. I am agoraphobic and have been for a number of years now. At the start of the year I got my form from ATOS to fill in and sent it back stating how my agoraphobia stops me not only from getting out to work (also said I have no problem working from home if they can find me work) but I cannot even go to the dentist if I have toothache, doctors if I am ill, take the kids to school, etc. Yesterday morning I finally recieved a letter from DWP saying I have been put in a work activity group which I must attend or my money stops.

Has anyone else had this happen? I didn't even get an assessment, just plopped straight into the fit to work category. Its not possible for me to attend. Is an appeal the only oprion?

Thanks

bernie1977
02-05-13, 12:46
The same thing happened to me and I wrote a letter asking for the decision to be reconsidered and I filled in form GL24. I was put into the support group without having to go through an appeal. It was lucky as well as my benefit is contribution based and you only get paid for one year if that's the case. So that basically means if you've kept your NI contributions up to date you are penalised for this, whereas if you've never paid a stamp in your life you can claim forever more, madness!!

In my letter I went into great detail about panic disorder and agoraphobia affects me. I joined benefitandwork.co.uk and downloaded their guidelines on ESA and it shows you which mental health descriptors qualify you for the support group. Three applied to me, so I hammered home every point to try and make them understand.

Had my renewal forms through recently so I've got the whole carry on again. Provide as much supporting evidence as you can from your GP or letters from mental health workers if you have. Get your Doctor to write that you're unable to attend surgery due to panic and agoraphobia.

If you need anymore help feel free to ask

Nechtan
02-05-13, 12:52
Hi Bernie,

Thanks for the info. That really is a big help and eases some of the worry. I will have a look at that site, download the info and get that letter sent off. My wife suggested talking to my GP who has been supportive over the years so as you have suggested it too I'll book a call with him.

Its a real pain because not only is this money crucial but for the first time in years I am actually making progress and fear this bloody episode would send me all the way back again.

Again thanks for your help,

Cheers

bernie1977
02-05-13, 13:00
You're more than welcome. I think it's about £18 a year to join work and benefits but it's the best money I've ever spent. You can download the ESA manuals and the DLA/PIP ones. Don't know if you're already claiming DLA but some of that is applicable for agoraphobics and anxiety sufferers. New claims for that have just changed to PIP. The forms are a nightmare but those manuals make it really clear the points you need to make.

Good luck

Dazza123
02-05-13, 13:50
I was put into the WRAG after my last assessment for 6 months and clearly told by the DWP that I would be put into the work programme (which is apparently voluntary) I got help from an advice service, refused to attend work focused interviews, and on reconsideration they put me into the support group for a year.

Definitely get help with the appeal, even if its only a letter from your doctor, it all helps.

In the meantime, if they demand you attend work focused interviews, maybe ring them and ask if they can be conducted over the phone, some will do this, and it will make it a lot easier for you mentally.

Good luck!!

Nechtan
02-05-13, 20:53
Thanks for that Bernie, I will definitely give it a look. And cheers also Dazza. That is good to know as that is my case too and even a telephone interview would suit me rather than having to go to another town. The two of you have been more help that you know.

flori
03-05-13, 01:45
Hi, ask for them to look again at your claim and I hope you submitted every bit of supporting evidence you have. I was put straight in to the support group with no medical. I also have chronic asthma, so maybe that helped.
It really does make anxiety worse going through all this with ATOS.
Good Luck

Nechtan
17-05-13, 14:27
Sorry for the late reply flori, thanks for your response. I did contact the GP but he said its not their policy to write a letter but would support me when DWP contact them. He put me in touch with a council department who help deal with appeals so they are helping at the moment appealing the decision on the grounds of "social preclusion" rather than agoraphobia.

As you said it does make the anxiety worse. I have been doing the CBT4Panic course and for the first time actually making progress and had real hope I was on the road to recovery. Today though I am a total wreck after dealing with this. Feel awful and constant cycles of panic. The sooner it is over one way or another the better.

All the best

Lost2010
19-05-13, 22:32
Hi Nechtan,

Sorry to hear you're getting messed about by the DWP - been there so share your frustration!! I claimed ESA for a very short period and actually asked to be in the work group (although I couldn't attend) as I was hoping for help finding work from home. Initially they followed the line of 'if I could attend the assessment on the other side of London I could claim but if I didn't then I couldn't claim' - if I could get to the other side of London I would be able to work!!

Anyway, long story short...it's a real pain but you will get it sorted. My advice would to do everything in writing and not on the phone and keep copies of everything you send (proof of postage from the Post Office is good, if someone could do this for you?). In addition to having a record of everything, it gives you more time to include everything rather than rushing it on the phone and possibly forgetting things. I think there are two appeals processes (at least) so you will have the chance for them to reconsider. Also, if they insist on interviewing or assessing you they will do this via home visit if you need them to (although you do have to push for this a bit).

Ultimately, try not to let this set you back. Unfortunately the system isn't really set up to deal with this type of illness but this doesn't negate the fact that you're a genuine claimant. I kept a lot of the paperwork from when I appealed so feel free to PM me if you want to