PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with anxiety all the time

Caramel
02-05-13, 13:13
Hey everyone,

Well, I'm back again because I know you guys are the only people who truely understand.:)

I have suffered with GAD and panic attacks most of my life - there was never any trigger for it, it just got worse and worse as the years went on.

It has now got to the point where, back in August, I had to give up my job as a teacher, because the anxiety meant I couldn't go on courses or take the kids out on trips etc.

I can get out and about, but I have to work my way up to it, and if I ever try and make plans I find it virtually impossible to do them. Because of this, I haven't been able to find myself a job because I don't feel I'm reliable enough to do it - I don't think I would even get to an interview for a start!

As time has gone on, I can feel myself getting worse and worse - I'm on my own all day while my husband works, and of course, my mind is working overtime. For example, at the moment I can't stop obsessing because I've been having a problem with a tooth, but the dentist can't find anything wrong. He thinks it may be anxiety-related (!) and has referred me to the hospital, which is miles away. I can't stop thinking about the stupid tooth and all I can think about is the hospital visit and how on earth I'm going to do it. I had the dentist this morning, which is literally 2 minutes up the road, but I was up the entire night with horrendous panic attacks just because of it.

I can't seem to get a grip on anything and I'm so scared. I can't eat properly because the anxiety makes me feel sick, which makes me feel worse and so weak. I feel like I'm trapped in a vicious circle I can't get out of.:weep:

NE21 worrier
02-05-13, 18:26
Hello Caramel,

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it at the moment. I also suffer from anxiety and, like yourself, I get frustrated at how it has restricted my career and my life generally.

At this stage, I think you need to take a step back and, as frivolous as it sounds, not even give too much thought to your work situation at the moment. Your health is more important than anything so you need to get sorted out first.

RE: your tooth. Although the visit to the hospital sounds like it is going to be tough for you, my advice is for you to follow this up, just in case there is anything which needs to be fixed. The only way you're going to know if something needs doing is by going.

Of course, it might be the anxiety finding a way to get through to you, or it might not be. But, regardless, I would be looking to get that situation sorted out by visiting your GP. Perhaps some medication or therapy would help - be open and honest with your GP about how you are feeling. They are there to help you, not judge you.

Finally, as I have discovered, your anxiety will be worse if you spend a lot of time alone in the house with your own thoughts. It is best to get out, go for a walk or, if you're fit enough, a run. Exercise is meant to be excellent for anxiety. Also, I have contacted my local branch of the charity Mind, and they offer various projects aimed at improving your confidence. It might be worth looking at their website to see where your local branch is, and what they can offer you.

Obviously, you don't have to follow all of my advice to the letter but I hope some of this helps. You don't deserve to live a life of anxiety, but in order to succeed, you must take some action to help yourself.

Peter x

Caramel
02-05-13, 19:06
Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to give me such lovely advice. I have 2 dogs, so I do make myself take them out every day. Funnily enough, I was looking at Mind's website earlier, so I think I will get in touch with them and see what's about.

I saw my GP yesterday - he prescribed me Fluoxetine (I am currently coming off Venlafaxine) so hopefully that will help a little after a while. I am also on the waiting list for CBT, so am hanging on to that hope too.

I hope that you are feeling well and are on the way to recovery - it really helps to talk to others in the same boat. :hugs: