PDA

View Full Version : Advice anyone ? I don’t know what else to do?

Hologram
03-05-13, 12:48
Hi folks here goes. I have for as long as I can remember suffered with my nerves I have taking valium to calm this in the past and have been on a few different anti depressants on and of for the last 15/20 years, I have been at the doctors recently as my anxiety/panic has became worse leading me back into a depression. I am on 20mg of prozac and 80mg of propranolol per day, two weeks in and feeling sick every day and the two drugs have not helped much with my sweating or Anxiety ether. Anyone else know how long these drugs will take to take effect on me? Or anyone else in a similar position? My Doctor said 2 to 3 weeks and has referred me to a psychologist which is a bit scarry if I am honest. I don’t know what else to do to help myself, I am a wreck.

hanshan
03-05-13, 13:07
Another possibility is pregabalin, which is licensed in the UK for generalized anxiety.

Hologram
03-05-13, 13:38
Hi Hanshan and thanks very much for the reply
I have never heard of this drug so had to google it, Do you think this is a better drug for my situation than the two drugs my doctor has me on at the moment? Or should I give it the 3to4 weeks and just hope the Prozac and propranolol start to shift my Anxiety/Panic?

Edie
03-05-13, 14:38
Prozac can take up to 8 weeks to start to work, so I wouldn't give up on it yet. It can work sooner than that, so hopefully you won't have too much longer to wait. You're doing the right things, seeking medical help and waiting for psychotherapy. It's tough waiting it out, but you've taken that difficult first step so you're on the way now.

granny85
03-05-13, 16:37
Doc told me the pills could take 8 weeks, so he gave me some others, which I have to take a quarter of, if I feel anxious, until the others kick in! Hope you soon feel a bit better x

hanshan
04-05-13, 01:12
As suggested above, give the Prozac, propranolol and psychologist sessions a chance to start working. Some doctors will give you a temporary supply of a benzodiazepine until the Prozac has an effect (if it's not working within 6 - 8 weeks, it probably won't).

Pregabalin can be taken with an antidepressant, so you can add it on to Prozac. No-one can say if it will be right for you - it doesn't work for everyone, and can come with side effects. Mostly, they are temporary, but some can stick around, like weight gain and lower libido, which have caused people to discontinue.

Good luck.

Hologram
06-05-13, 14:33
Thanks for you comments guys there much appreciated, I have decided to try and hold these meds down for another few weeks and at least until I have spoken with the psychologist.

I have been reading up on Pregabalin and its suggests that this drug would most probably not suit anyone who had been taking sedatives, which would rule me out, but I will still mention it to my doctor on my next visit.

Once again thanks for your comments. John