PDA

View Full Version : Relationship OCD - anyone else suffering?

CatherineH
03-05-13, 19:56
Hi - I have been married nearly 40 years but have recurring relationship OCD (can't think of any other way to describe it but it's out there on the internet, mainly from the US). I sometimes feel very panicky that I might not really love my husband. It sounds crazy but things can trigger it (and then after a while I feel OK again!) - usually comparing us to other couples we know (comparing is another obsession of mine!) or seeing something on television. We have talked about it loads and he tries to reassure me, but as with all obsessions the reassurance only works for a limited time before a 'what-if?' emerges. He's a lovely man - honest, totally trustworthy, kind, and the only person I can truly be myself with, who loves me unconditionally, and we share life philosophy, political views and ideals, as well as trips to theatre, countryside, walks etc. Because I am often anxious and depressed (I have a diagnosis of Borderline PD too) I get irritable and snappy and then feel terribly guilty about it and worry that that means I can't feel love. There are things we don't share - he isn't romantic and isn't that interested in clothes, for instance - and while that doesn't bother me much of the time, now and then it does, and then I worry that 'if I am so anxious about things like that I don't really love him'..... He puts up with a lot from me - I am not easy to live with though I do try to recognise my faults and we talk a lot. My depression and anxiety mean that I often don't feel happy or content and I feel so guilty about that and wonder if it's my marriage at fault that's causing it - even though I had issues of self esteem from my teens and have never felt OK about myself. I have such a lot to be thankful for but I wish I could shake this recurring anxiety - one of several obsessive worries! We've come through a lot of hard times bringing up two children, one of whom had a rare disability and mental health problems and I was hoping that once they were independent and we had more time to ourselves, I would feel better and more relaxed. The opposite has happened - I feel worse, more anxious, depressed and guilty and full of self loathing. I could go on, but I think that's enough for now - would welcome any constructive thoughts or contact with anyone who's been through anything similar.
-

Sarahrose19
14-05-13, 00:37
HELLO there

i though i reply to your post i know i know how hard rocd is its soul destroying from the second you wakeup to the moment you fall asleep the anxiety strikes fear and unknowing into your life. i am a rocd sufferer and i believe i am at a really hard point right now i don't have much anxity with is apparently common with rocd i just thought id let you know your not alone look at all the other people on here were all in the same boat your thoughts are not yours. (intrusive thoughts) meaning you have no control ive them. Feel free to email me or private mail me id really like it id you did and tell me more about your issues xxx

all my best x

Kimmangel
14-05-13, 10:51
ive been suffering rocd since i entered relationships im now 34 and have decided to get help now, as ive just found the nicest guy and its already starting to show its ugly head again . its the worst feeling in the world to just feel so empty and no love towards your partner while your in your anxitey mode . when im haveing my anxiety free days i just love my man with all my heart and im all over him . and i wish it could last like that forever but any hr day my rocd will be back and i have my wall up again. i was with my ex for 12 years and couldnt cope anymore and left as the rocd was tiring me out . but i dont want it to rule my life especially now ive found the most perfect guy . im now seeing a councilor to help me , im also on lexapro for anxiety and hoping to try accupuncture