PDA

View Full Version : Lymphoma fears again!

lily413
04-05-13, 15:26
I know this is a little long winded but if anyone wouldn't mind taking a look at this I would be ever so grateful!

I am majorly worried that I have lymphoma.

It all started with an infected ear piercing a year and a half ago which caused a lymph node just below my left ear to swell (about 2cm) with a feeling of pressure and tenderness around it.

It took a month or so for me to realise the earring was causing the swelling and pretty much as soon as I took the earring out, the pressure and tenderness stopped and the lymph node reduced, although not back to normal size.

The lymph node is located right between the corner of my jaw and the big muscle going down the side of my neck, so when I look up I can feel the lymph node easily but when I look down it is hidden behind the corner of my jaw and the band of muscle.

Back in February this year I started feeling this same pressure again although I'm not sure the lymph node got much bigger (it's been slightly larger than the one on the left since the earring infection) I also had tension down the left side of my neck, possibly due to carrying a heavy bag on my left shoulder every day, or perhaps from anxiety. This lasted about 6 weeks then went.

I now have the exact same thing again, and I think the lymph node is a little swollen. It's approx. 1 cm or maybe a little more. It's hard to tell! I didn't mention my lymph node to my chiropractor but did tell him about the tension down the left side of my neck, and he said I had a muscle spasm.

I know that with lymphoma the symptoms can come and go, so I am worried that my symptoms match.

I have had various doctors check the lymph node out over the last year and a half (all of whom thought I have nothing to worry about) and the doctor I saw this week sent me for blood tests just to be safe. Should get the results middle of next week.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is this:

Is there a possibility that the combination of the lymph node being previously quite swollen and now a bit enlarged from the earring infection and the fact that it is located in an area that is squeezed between the muscle and my jaw and the fact that I carry my heavy bag on that shoulder be the cause of the lymph node irritation??

This has all been a HA issue for me on and off for the last year and a half and I am getting a bit desperate to get to the bottom of what's going on!

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Thanks for listening!

countrygirl
04-05-13, 20:25
If you have had a swollen lymph node due to infection then they can stay swollen for years or they can go up and down for years afterwards. I know this as when I had chickenpox when I was 28 yrs old ( have never been so ill) I had huge swollen lymph nodes at back of head where neck meets. These lymph nodes did reduce in size once I was better but they were noticeable for years afterwards and if I felt them they would swell up at the slightest touch.
I seem to remember it took about 10 years for them to go back to normal and my Dr said in alot of people they never do.

I have known three people with lymphoma of varying kinds and all had very significant symptoms. I am not going to list them for obvious reasons.

Your node sounds just like the ones I had following severe infection.

lily413
05-05-13, 09:26
Thank you countrygirl, your post is really helpful.

Uncertain27
05-05-13, 11:57
If you have had a swollen lymph node due to infection then they can stay swollen for years or they can go up and down for years afterwards. I know this as when I had chickenpox when I was 28 yrs old ( have never been so ill) I had huge swollen lymph nodes at back of head where neck meets. These lymph nodes did reduce in size once I was better but they were noticeable for years afterwards and if I felt them they would swell up at the slightest touch.
I seem to remember it took about 10 years for them to go back to normal and my Dr said in alot of people they never do.

I have known three people with lymphoma of varying kinds and all had very significant symptoms. I am not going to list them for obvious reasons.

Your node sounds just like the ones I had following severe infection.
If you don't mind me asking, did the people you know get cured?
I'm scared of this at the moment because I'm sure one of my lymph nodes is huge, and I'm also tired but that could be something else.

countrygirl
05-05-13, 20:01
One is alive and kicking 20 years later. OF the other two one died within 8 months and the other lived with a chronic version for over 30 years.

Not sure how this info will help you but didn't want to ignore your question:shrug:

Again all i can say is that in each case their symptoms were significant and the GP's knew from initial visit that something very serious was going on.

Uncertain27
05-05-13, 21:26
One is alive and kicking 20 years later. OF the other two one died within 8 months and the other lived with a chronic version for over 30 years.

Not sure how this info will help you but didn't want to ignore your question:shrug:

Again all i can say is that in each case their symptoms were significant and the GP's knew from initial visit that something very serious was going on.
Thanks. I was just asking because I was curious mainly, it was separate from the part about being scared myself. :blush: Although I suppose it's a bit reassuring to hear that it's not necessarily a 'death sentence' if you do have it. :)

eastofeden
05-05-13, 21:55
I know this is a little long winded but if anyone wouldn't mind taking a look at this I would be ever so grateful!

I am majorly worried that I have lymphoma.

It all started with an infected ear piercing a year and a half ago which caused a lymph node just below my left ear to swell (about 2cm) with a feeling of pressure and tenderness around it.

It took a month or so for me to realise the earring was causing the swelling and pretty much as soon as I took the earring out, the pressure and tenderness stopped and the lymph node reduced, although not back to normal size.

The lymph node is located right between the corner of my jaw and the big muscle going down the side of my neck, so when I look up I can feel the lymph node easily but when I look down it is hidden behind the corner of my jaw and the band of muscle.

Back in February this year I started feeling this same pressure again although I'm not sure the lymph node got much bigger (it's been slightly larger than the one on the left since the earring infection) I also had tension down the left side of my neck, possibly due to carrying a heavy bag on my left shoulder every day, or perhaps from anxiety. This lasted about 6 weeks then went.

I now have the exact same thing again, and I think the lymph node is a little swollen. It's approx. 1 cm or maybe a little more. It's hard to tell! I didn't mention my lymph node to my chiropractor but did tell him about the tension down the left side of my neck, and he said I had a muscle spasm.

I know that with lymphoma the symptoms can come and go, so I am worried that my symptoms match.

I have had various doctors check the lymph node out over the last year and a half (all of whom thought I have nothing to worry about) and the doctor I saw this week sent me for blood tests just to be safe. Should get the results middle of next week.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is this:

Is there a possibility that the combination of the lymph node being previously quite swollen and now a bit enlarged from the earring infection and the fact that it is located in an area that is squeezed between the muscle and my jaw and the fact that I carry my heavy bag on that shoulder be the cause of the lymph node irritation??

This has all been a HA issue for me on and off for the last year and a half and I am getting a bit desperate to get to the bottom of what's going on!

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Thanks for listening!

hi there, my lymph nodes in my armpits and groin get painful, hard and swollen when i'm on my period. absolutely no idea why but it's only before and during my totm. not any other time. have you checked whether there is any correlation to when it is at it's worst, and your menstrual cycle or ovulation time? also, i've heard people who've had things like mono or other fevers can have swollen lymph nodes for a while before they start to calm down. it's a sign your body is trying to protect you from further infection. which makes sense because of your infected ear piercing and the fact it swelled at that time. your blood test should clear things up. i'm sure you will be fine. x

lily413
06-05-13, 10:16
Thank you for your reassurance eastofeden. I am expecting my period in the next week so maybe that has something to do with it! I'll monitor the situation!