PDA

View Full Version : Scraed I breathed in some fiberglass!

LostinThought
04-05-13, 17:59
I'm in a right state of panic right now.

I was crawling around in the attic this afternoon, moving some boxes around and trying to find some things. I was up there for probably an hour, at ten to fifteen minute intervals (it was warm so I came down a couple of times to cool down).

Afterwards I noticed my arms were itchy and felt prickly, especially when I rubbed them. I mentioned this to my mum and she told me I had probably rubbed against some fiberglass insulation. Being the fool that I am, I went online and Googled it, and found out it can be very bad to breathe this stuff in!

I did not sneeze or cough once when I was in the attic. I am pretty sure the fibreglass where I was searching was covered up because the walls were covered with silver foil, but I could be wrong.

My dad has been working in the loft most weekends for months, getting it ready for conversion, and I have never seen him wear a mask or comment on the insulation. When I asked if I could have a look in the loft, he said it was all okay and didn't mention anything.

However I still cannot shake off the fear that I have breathed some of it in. To tell the truth, I have not sneezed or coughed at all, no itchy throat, no wheeziness. My nose is a little stuffier than I would like perhaps. I took a cold shower and my arms no longer itch.

If I have not coughed or sneezed so far, do you think I will be alright?

Annie0904
04-05-13, 18:09
I am sure you will be all right. You would have to be in much more closer contact with it and working with the product for it to cause you any real harm. I have handled it before and it does make you itch but unless you were cutting through it or in close contact for a long length of time then you won't be at any risk.

LostinThought
04-05-13, 18:39
Thanks, Annie. I am actually usually very sensitive to dust and stuff - my mum will spray air freshener and I cannot go in the room for 10 minutes without coughing. The fact that I felt fine in the attic is a good sign, I think.

http://tinypic.com/r/2nl4ap1/5

I was working in a little artificial crawl way, created by my dad when he boarded up the main 'room' of the conversion. The crawl way continues a few feet to the right, as does the silver wall of foil, which I was working right up against. If you look on the bottom centre you can see some of the insulation poking out =/ I don't recall seeing any of this near me though, just lots of silver foil.

Can't believe I went up and took a photo, and I just realised I spelled 'scared' wrong in the title >.<

Annie0904
04-05-13, 19:04
There is no way that would have caused you any harm apart from maybe some itching if you have touched it. My husband used to be a joiner and has handled it many times in the past and it has not affected him.

LostinThought
04-05-13, 22:19
Phew, well that is reassuring. Thank you, Annie. I have calmed down a bit now. It seems whenever I get an unpleasant idea in my head I just can't seem to shift it out by myself.

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

Panicking again. I just had a strong tickle in the back of my mouth that wouldn't go away when I coughed. My lips have two tiny cuts, top and bottom and bleeding very slightly.

I just ate Indian food. My dad said spicy food can cause lips to crack and it's nothing to do with the fiber glass. I am convinced some glass fell out of my hair and onto my plate when I was eating, and now it is in my mouth and throat :(

Annie0904
04-05-13, 23:06
I am quite sure the cuts on your lips have nothing to do with the fibre glass. Although it is called fibre glass, it is nothing like glass and could not cut you. Put some lip cream on your lips if you have some. they may just be a bit dry.

LostinThought
04-05-13, 23:30
Stupid me :doh: Thanks again, Annie. I understand it is just fiber and could do no such thing, but in my panicked state jumped to conclusions (as usual).

Seriously, thank you, Annie. My parents, my mum in particular were very impatient and called me pathetic. They don't understand health anxiety at all...

mikewales
05-05-13, 08:01
Looking at the pic where you were working there is no loose insulation there. Fibreglass can be nasty to breathe in if you are working with it a lot and cutting it up, then it is better to use a mask, but you don't need one if you are just doing general stuff in the attic and not working with it. It will itch a bit if you touch it, and is worse if you rub your arms because the fibres scratch them.

xfilme
05-05-13, 19:01
I had the same fear in January. I spent about 5 hours helping my dad sorting out his attic and it triggered off my dust allergies. My arm came up in a huge rash where i must have been leaning on fibreglass. The next day I found it was sore when I took a deep breath and I did the same as you and freaked out because I thought I had inhaled it. It lasted for about 3 weeks and scared me, then just vanished. I dont know if it was fibreglass that got to me, or if it was the dust that made my chest sore (as I have severe dust allergies) but all I can say, is its absolutely fine now :)