PDA

View Full Version : anyone who has been on citalopram please read!

worried 101
04-05-13, 22:28
Hi there. i have been on citalopram 40mg for about 2 and a half years.i felt ready to come off this dose and went down to 20 mg with no problems.im now on 10 mg and the doctor was happy for to come off it entirely after this months supply is out.i was just wondering how long it takes for thos drug to be completely out of the body as me and my partner want to start trying for a baby bit dont want to until its completely safe to.i meant to ask my doctor on my last visit but it totally went out of my mind as was so happy that i will be able to be citaloptam free!just wondered if anyone else out there might know the answer?
Thanks guys!xxx

Sparkle1984
05-05-13, 00:12
I think it's probably best to call your doctor or pharmacist to be sure.

Citalopram has a half-life of 36 hours. This means the amount in your body decreases by half every 36 hours. So, to calculate half-life I think it will be something like this:
after 36 hours: 5mg is still in your system
after 72 hours: 2.5mg
after 108 hours: 1.25mg
...and so on.

So it should be out of your system in about a week or so.

I can't guarantee my above calculations are correct; I'm providing them for information only, so it's best if you check with a qualified medical professional before you make any decisions. :)

worried 101
05-05-13, 19:12
ah thanks for that...think i will go to the docs just to be on the safe side but thanks for the help!x:)