PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotic-related Diarrhoea...

PhoenixGrey
05-05-13, 14:55
Anybody had it?

And I'm talking about after you finished antibiotics... I finished them two weeks ago on Monday... :-/

Before anyone says it yes I am seeing a doctor about it, I'm just seeing if anyone else has had the same...

eastofeden
05-05-13, 21:16
i have this problem with macrolide antibiotics.

are you taking one of those that has a name like erythromycin?

if so then diarrhea is a very very common with these and you should be assured in the fact that it is a short term side effect. it's not going to go on forever. there is probably some of the drug left in your system. i don't take these antibiotics anymore for this reason. i prefer the usual ones like penicillin.

PhoenixGrey
05-05-13, 21:27
It was flucloxacillin, but it was 250mg for 7 days then 500mg for 7 days and at the same time I took a 5 day course of antivirals, so I'm really hoping it was all that. I got allergic conjunctivitis as well so I've been shoved onto antihistamine eye drops as well. Keeping my fingers crossed! Having less movements now, keeping hope alive! It's all I've got left! :)

eastofeden
05-05-13, 22:50
It was flucloxacillin, but it was 250mg for 7 days then 500mg for 7 days and at the same time I took a 5 day course of antivirals, so I'm really hoping it was all that. I got allergic conjunctivitis as well so I've been shoved onto antihistamine eye drops as well. Keeping my fingers crossed! Having less movements now, keeping hope alive! It's all I've got left! :)

mm, all that medication is bound to be quite hard on your tummy. antibiotics always are. try drinking yakult and actimel, because antibiotics kill off the good bacteria as well as the bad, so you should try to replenish these good bacteria with probiotics. it will probably help your gut feel better too. don't panic! side effects like this are temporary. you will be right as rain soon. if you have the runs, anxiety will make it worse by upsetting your belly. just give it a few days :)

Tessar
06-05-13, 08:36
I know that many people will get this, often I see Acidophilus recommended as this helps to restore healthy bacteria in your gut