PDA

View Full Version : Progress Report After 11 Weeks

maro111
06-05-13, 14:03
Hi,

I though I would post how things are going for me after 11 weeks on Sertraline (6 weeks on 50mg, 5 weeks on 100mg).

Background

Im 31 and have always been quite shy. I developed full on Social Anxiety when I started uni in 1999. Uni was very difficult to get through and after finishing in 2002 I had a couple of part time jobs for a year or two. Since then I havent worked. I have pushed all my friends away and rarely leave the house (only doing so with parents). I literally have no life. Ive only had one relationship 6 years ago which lasted 3 months. Over the past ten years I have been on 4 medications (Venlafaxine, Citalopram, Clomipramine and now Sertraline). Venlafaxine was the most effective so far at 225mg but the side effects were too harsh.

I suffer with Social Anxiety, General Anxiety Disorder, OCD and Depression. Most of these run through my mums mum side of the family.

Sertraline Experience

On 50mg the first thing I noticed was that my mind wasn't racing as much and I wasn't going over and over the same negative thoughts quite as much. OCD was no different. At about 5 1/2 weeks I did feel a little more confident about myself and my anxiety improved slightly.

Since being on 100mg my thoughts have slowed down even more and are on the whole more neutral (which is much better than how negative they were). Im not as jealous of other people either. My anxiety has improved slightly due to developing almost a tunnel vision, so that I don't notice people as much around me when im in the garden or care that they are there. I'm definitely more tired and am going for rests in the afternoon, but I think a lot of this has to do with depression, which hasn't improved and I guess wont until I get out of the house etc. I feel lethargic and cant be bothered doing much.

I can be very tired and down until I eat and then become jittery afterwards.

I have found that I have started to watch more documentaries and films which might be a sign that my concentration is improving.

To sum up. I feel more neutral than how I was. I was at a very low point so its been a blessing, especially the slowing of recurring thoughts. My anxiety and depression still rule my life and I am not leaving the house area at all really. I still spend some days in bed.

I hope to see improvement in the next couple of weeks and will update this soon.

Torri
06-05-13, 15:42
I have been on 50 for a year and the last 2 weeks 100, I have just started to notice a change in me....I'm not having a anxiety and I have a bit more energy lol....the last 2 weeks have been horrid I was having dizziness and panic everyday, but I'm glad that's gone, I just hope it's going to continue as I want my life back

maro111
06-05-13, 15:46
I have been on 50 for a year and the last 2 weeks 100, I have just started to notice a change in me....I'm not having a anxiety and I have a bit more energy lol....the last 2 weeks have been horrid I was having dizziness and panic everyday, but I'm glad that's gone, I just hope it's going to continue as I want my life back

Hi. Sorry the last two weeks have been bad for you. I glad you have got through the side effects and hopefully you will get better each day. It may have helped that you were on 50mg for so long

Torri
06-05-13, 15:49
I know I can cope with the side effects, and nothing could be as bad as the anxiety and panic attacks, I am luck to have a supportive hubby and family

maro111
07-05-13, 10:33
Wow I am so tired and lethargic atm. A couple of hours after taking tablet it hits me like a brick wall. Hope it dosen't last. Not sure if to take it at night

reddevil
07-05-13, 11:06
Hi,

They have made me tired and a little can not be bothered etc.

I was hoping this would improve.

Red

maro111
07-05-13, 11:16
Yeah I'm really hoping it will improve soon as well. From what I have read some people continue to feel foggy whereas for the majority it seems to pass. Really struggling to function atm.

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 ----------

I don't seem to get the side effects until after a few weeks which seems to be the time when most people are getting over them. Must just react to them slowly mabye.

reddevil
07-05-13, 11:38
I have to admit, this feeling of being foggy only started last week on me and I think I'm on week four of 150mg, no other side effects apart from the common increase of anxiety / depression.

maro111
07-05-13, 14:20
Once I have established the right dose etc am going to combine it with Paul Mckenna cd to attack it from different angles. I have used the cd's before on their own and have found them to be helpful. I remember on one occasion thinking ' this feels like I have taken medication'. However the cd wasn't enough on its own so i'm hoping the combination will be powerful.

Laheed
07-05-13, 16:03
Hi Maro,

To be honest, my long-term problems are nothing compared to yours. I have never suffered from anxiety or depression until very recently. I'm putting it down to a combination of burn-out and bereavement. I am on my 10th week of Sertaline and feel really good and I'm only on 50mg at that.

That preface is so that I don't get your hopes up too much. But I can't help but notice that you seem to be improving. More than that, you seem to me experiencing similar things to me when I first began to recover. The thoughts come first. They recede and they turn into a battle... you start being able to question the anxious thoughts, which you certainly don't before. The physical symptoms will only start to recede when the thoughts go. Unfortunately however, there is a bit of a lag, so they persist even if your thoughts are distracted. Which of course makes it almost impossible to stay distracted. This is the anxiety trap - or at least was for me. Anxiety about anxiety. But if, as I think I read you say somewhere, a battle is beginning to take place in your head, that's a good sign.

I think you are right with the CD as well. Talking therapies, whatever helps. In my limited experience, it just doesn't feel like drugs can cure anxiety. Only by confronting your fears and having good life experience can it recede. The drugs just help to get you into a place where you can think about doing that.

Can't help much on the depression. The drugs just got rid of mine. Very simple. And Sertraline energised me rather than tiring me out, before it settled down. At the time I really resented that because I found the insomnia the most agonising symptom.

maro111
07-05-13, 19:27
Hi Laheed.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your post!

Firstly, I am very sorry to hear about your bereavement and burn out! I'm really glad that the Sertraline is helping you through such tough times.

Your post have given me a lot of hope and I am really pleased that I seemed to be following your path to recovery. I know that everybody is different and things might turn out differently for us, but its nice to know that I seem to be heading in the right direction. Your definitely right that the thoughts recede first and a battle takes place. Everyday I feel that the tablets are edging closer to winning that battle. I'm finding it more difficult to get upset about the things I used to. Even in the mornings which are always the hardest. I did get down this weekend being a sunny bank holiday and feeling trapped and lonely but nowhere near as down as I would have done without the tablets.

Your right about the lag with the physical symptoms as well. I think that you get so used to the physical symptoms that you expect them to happen even if your thoughts are elsewhere. Its like a involuntary reaction. It might take a little while to adjust to having less negative thoughts and not automatically developing the physical symptoms. Of course, like you say in the meantime expecting the physical symptoms is enough to bring on the anxiety.

I like to think of the tablets as a crutch. They give you the strength to get out there and make changes to your life. If you can flood your head with positive thoughts as well from therapy, hypnotherapy etc then soon enough thought patterns should change. The tablets will stop you automatically reverting to the negative thoughts and the talking therapy can then fill the empty space where the negative thoughts used to be with positive thoughts. Or so i'd like to think :).

Once things start to go right and experience good days the positive vibes and confidence should build and snowball.

I have actually had quite a positive day today. There were two reasons for me starting this thread really. Firstly to let others know of my experiences and secondly to keep a record so I can see how far I have progressed over the weeks. Given the state I was in a few months ago, being neutral now is a huge step forward.

Thanks again and hope you have had a good day!

maro111
08-05-13, 12:51
A bit tired and in a daze today. I had to go out and get petrol for my car and my anxiety was better from being in a zombie state (although i'm not sure if my driving skills benefited as much). I built a flat pack piece of furniture last night and my concentration and ability to approach it methodically was much improved on how it would have been before the tablets. I would always rush through things, be very impatient and do the typical man thing of not bothering with the instructions. Yesterday I took it slowly and calmly and worked my way through it. And I didn't even get frustrated or annoyed with it lol.

I can say at this point that even though I have experienced huge changes yet I certainly wouldn't like to stop taking them and go back to how I was. I am very glad I started them.

One thing I'm not sure about though. I went in the sun the other day and have developed quite large sun spots. This has never happened before. I think it might be wise to be careful in the sun when on Setraline (well I should be more careful anyway).

maro111
08-05-13, 19:24
Have felt pretty low this afternoon. Lonely, sad about the state of my life and worried about the future. Negative thoughts have come through more than they have for a while. Had some dark thoughts. But I can feel the tablets trying to fight them at least. Not sinking quite as low as did before them. Disappointedd also that couldnt answer the phone before.

maro111
10-05-13, 11:01
Wow I'm tired this week. Want to sleep a lot which isn't great. Hoping this will wear off soon. I am starting to care less about things more and more and so the anxiety is starting to drop. Might finally be getting a decent level into my body. The last couple of days the bad thoughts weren't being controlled as much which got me down. Today they seem a little better.

maro111
14-05-13, 12:18
6 weeks into 100mg now. Have more energy and a little more motivated. The tiredness seems to have passed.

Depression does seem to be lifting and starting to feel more positive about things. The main thing that has improved is my ability to concentrate. The intrusive and obsessing thoughts have calmed down a huge amount.

At the moment the anxiety is no better at all which is disappointing but hopefully that will change the next couple of weeks. I found myself hiding by the sofa when the doorbell went the other day which got me down a bit.

Overall though a better week.

Door No.2
15-05-13, 00:01
Hi Maro,

Thank-you for posting about your progress. I'm glad to hear you're sensing some improvement, and I admire you for sticking with it. I hope it continues to help in some way. I get the impression this isn't going to be a straightforward journey, and I've found myself losing heart a bit the last few days. But you've helped me feel like I should stick with it!

I'm into my 5th week on 50mg. Overall the sert has helped me think more clearly, I feel in less of a fog and that I can cope with the big waves when they come. Initial side effects were very varied, some grinding and palpitations, but overall a feeling of well-being and I noticed my negative emotions didn't feel as extreme. Gave my doc a glowing report a week ago. My self-harming thoughts stopped almost immediately, so felt like I was on my way!! So much so that I had a few drinks at the weekend as I was feeling more stable about everything. Over-ambitious, I feel like I've been crumbling for 3 days now! But this is a bump in the road. The tabs have definitely given me a feeling of head space to be able tackle things like CBT a bit more effectively. For all that I felt like I made a good start you've reminded me that this is going to be a longer term thing, and that I shouldn't be in a rush, and that the tabs, as you said, are not the solution but part of the support plan. So maybe it's not back to the drawing board but time to note the positives, cos there are some improvements, I just need to build on them. No problem... :unsure: Best of luck!! :)

maro111
15-05-13, 14:09
Hi Door

I'm glad you have decided to stick with it. It really is easy to lose heart and think that it will never work. It's reading other people posts that has kept me going as well. Unfortunately there are a number of negative posts about Sertraline but these are usually from people who suffered such bad side effects that they couldn't stand them anymore or those that simply didn't give them enough time to work, which is a shame really.

One thing that might be relevant to how you have felt the last few days is that I have read other people saying that after drinking on Sertraline they have felt really down and anxious the next few days. Unfortunately I don't think the two mix very well. Even if its not the alcohol, it will just be a bump in the road as you say. The full effects of a dose are usually felt by 8 weeks or so and most side effects should be gone by then. I am still a bit edgy and not able to relax fully, but at the same time i'm not getting as anxious about certain things ( I would even get really anxious about being sick straight after the tablet so it wouldn't work).

If 50mg is the right dose for you then over the next 2-3 weeks you should gradually feel better and better. I know you wont, but please don't give up until you have given it the full 8 weeks :) and take heart from the improvements you have already made :)

Today I went out to the shops with my mum. I have been a lot happier today..laughing and joking. I even talked to the butcher for ages about Everton. This is compared to a couple of weeks ago when I wouldn't even go into the shop with my mum (the butcher is really nice but an extrovert to say the least which intimidated me). I couldn't face proper social situations yet but in a couple of weeks..who knows?

I am definitely not over thinking stuff as much and the obsessive thoughts are all but gone. They don't hang around at all now. I am in a bit of a daze but I think that might be down to not sleeping enough as well.

Overall I am feeling happier, smiling more, a bit more social. Obsessive thoughts have been greatly reduced and anxiety is slowly getting there.

reddevil
15-05-13, 14:40
Hi,

Definitely stick with it people…..!

They have helped lift my depression and have started to slightly improve with my anxiety.

People around me have noticed a difference even if I have not and my doctor said that I have colour back in my face and I’m talking more confident and calmer.

We are still going to get bad days with good days but when we have a good day, it does feel nice LOL.

Red

maro111
15-05-13, 14:46
That's awesome Red!

Again from reading other people experiences, Sertraline takes a little longer to work on anxiety, so improvements will be seen on the depression side first.

Her Indoors
15-05-13, 16:42
Hi Maro,

I have been prescribed Sertraline for anxiety, OCD (Pure O?) and depression.
I have now been taking it for 9 weeks, 1 day (not that I'm counting!) and don't reallly think it is helping much as my anxiety is still really bad, especially in the mornings.

I have been taking the highest dose 200 mg for the last 4 weeks and am beginning to wonder if it will ever help a little, although I have definitely found my sleep has improved and I generally feel better in the evenings and can relax and watch telly in bed and then sleep, which I couldn't do before I started it. I have been told by a doctor that it could take up to 12 weeks to begin to work, and I think I have read on this site that people can take up to six months to feel better. I don't want to bail out, because just being able to sleep is great, but still have high anxiety and obsessive worries constantly which is severely affecting my life.

I wonder what your thoughts on this might be. I have been reading your posts with interest and found them very helpful and hopeful. I sincerely hope you continue to improve and wish you well.

Kind regards

J xxxxx

maro111
15-05-13, 19:29
Hi J,

At what rate did you increase your doses? That's pretty quick to get up to 200mg. I can only go by what I have experienced myself and tell you what others have written but I would definitely without doubt stick with it. At 4 weeks on 200mg you might still be experiencing the side effects without experiencing the full therapeutic benefits. Its great that you feel better in the evenings and can relax. Sertraline reaches peak plasma level about 8-9 hours after a dose (I think) and so that's probably why when people start off on Sertraline (given that they take it in the morning) they feel better in the evening and back down again by the morning. I am now finding that I am not dropping as low in the morning as I am increasing the level in my body. The fact that it does work for you in the evening is surely a very good sign :).

It sounds like it is starting to work for you already but yeah your right, I have read where people are still feeling better after a good six months.

Please don't bail out yet. I think pretty much everybody has doubts about whether it will work for them or if the side effects are worth it. Only last week I was having such thoughts myself. Today has been the best day for my anxiety since I started the 100mg but I understand that I can still have bad days at this stage. Try to give it at least another 4 weeks before you review things. I know it's so hard to wait for it to work but I'm sure it will be completely amazing when it does! We just have to battle through the bad times to get to the good! :)

Thanks for the kind words!

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

Oh and it is definitely increasing my appetite, which for now isn't a bad thing as was a bit underweight.

Her Indoors
16-05-13, 08:33
Hi Maro,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post and I am really glad to hear you had a better day yesterday. It's always so encouraging when I hear people are improving on medication and there is hope for me too.

It was very interesting what you said that I could be still experiencing side effects, as I hadn't really thought of that and about the reasons why mornings are always so dreadful. Again, I think I have read on this site that as you recover, mornings are usually the last to improve, I certainly hope so.

I was started on Sertraline at 50 mg then after a few weeks increased up to 100 mg, then after a week up to 150, then up to 200 mg after another week. I will add that I was under the care of intensive support as this was happening, as I believe normally people are increased on their meds at a much slower rate than this. I also have been prescribed Diazapam 2 mg to take up to three times a day, but I am now only taking it in the morning and hopefully as I improve, cut it out completely.

I am definitely going to stick it out now, I think in my heart I had really made that decision and reading your posts has certainly helped me greatly, so bless you for that. I have found this forum has been such a comfort, especially as you know that the people on this site really understand how dreadful it is to suffer from this horrible, debilitating condition.

I also found it interesting what you said about the battle beginning with your thoughts, and that now you are feeling more neutral about things. I know medication is not the answer to all our problems, but I am really hoping this will begin to happen to me during the day as well as at night, as it is the obsessive dominating thoughts I have that I really need to be eased which is causing my anxiety.

I will continue to follow your posts with interest and long may you continue to improve.

J xx

maro111
16-05-13, 16:45
Hi J,

I can definitely say that in my experience mornings are the last to improve. It was only a few weeks ago that I was considering taking them at night to feel better in the mornings but now the positive effect is pretty much 24 hours. When I first started it would take me about 2-3 hours after taking the tablet to feel any effect. As time wore on it would take 1 hour, then half an hour etc. And the positive effects would increase during the day.

I never experienced any awful side effects unlike on other ssri's I have tried. I definitely did feel more anxious though. This side effect was strongest when I started taking 100mg and took almost 6 weeks to go away. In fact it was pretty much on the 6 week mark that my nerves settled somewhat. And up to about 5 weeks on 100mg I really couldn't stand leaving the house.

I would be very surprised if you weren't feeling much better in 2-4 weeks.

Im really pleased I have helped you stick with it :) :)

From my experience, the drug is fantastic at stopping the obsessive thoughts. I used to dwell on things so badly. That has improved about 80% and most things just drift from my mind now.

I popped into Chester with my mum today and then to Sainsburys. This would have been a really stressful day for me (not helped by its me that drives). But the Sertraline made it much much easier. I am laughing, much happier and calmer in general. I even said to my mum when we got back that It's so much nicer getting out and doing stuff when not completely stressed out and bogged down physically by it.

This week has been a real improvement. My only concern (well its not that much of a concern is that I am worried about becoming too complacent and unmotivated. I need to build a life for myself which needs a lot of drive.

As of the moment I am not progressing in life but the life I lead is much easier thanks to the tablets. I am a huge worrier, but I am brushing things off more now.

Her Indoors
16-05-13, 19:59
Hi Maro,

I am so pleased to hear how much better you are feeling and that you have managed to get out today. I too have had a better day and have managed to go shopping with a very understanding friend who just "gets me". I think unless you have had experience of anxiety it really is hard to understand.

I had my usual terrible morning of waking up in a panic and that terrible feeling of dread, not helped by the fact that as I have had panic attacks whilst showering I find just the thought of having one starts off my anxiety. How strange is that? I have decided I will now shower and wash my hair in the evenings when I feel more relaxed and have a quick bath in the morning.

This afternoon I actually felt my irrational and obsessive thoughts were beginning to calm and had periods during the day when I completely forgot just how unwell I have been feeling.

Its just such a pity that I am still shaking so much all the time. Have you experienced this? I wonder if it is the medication or if it is just my anxiety is not yet under control, even though at times I felt quite calm and was still shaking. I find it very embarrassing when I have to drink a cup of tea in front of people and I spill it because I am shaking so much.

Strangely I can manage to type ok, but have a real problem with texting because of the shakes, especially in the morning.

I really enjoy reading your posts and they have helped and reassured me that the medication will work for me too, so bless you for that.

I sincerely hope you will continue to feel so much better and improve every day.

Kind regards,

J xxx

maro111
17-05-13, 10:26
Hi J,

That's great that you managed to get out shopping and had a better day! There will be plenty more good days to come! Oh yeah without doubt, if you haven't had proper anxiety you cant understand just what a devastating effect it can have on your life!

What do you think it is about showers that causes the panic attacks? Or does it just happen without you thinking of anything bad specifically happening? Switching them to the evening for now is a good idea. I get nauseous when nervous and suck on mints to help. When I take a shower I can panic a bit due to the fact that I don't have access to mints.

Thats awesome!! and what its all about! Soon the gaps between your bad thoughts will get longer and longer until they are just a memory.

The shaking I would put down to the tablets and it being a side effect. It can make restless and jittery. I shake my leg a lot etc. It should settle down for you. Your body is adjusting to a quick increase in tablets to a strong dose. Your side effects will be stronger that way but you get the benefits quicker in the long run. As they are happening in the morning, it might also be a slight withdrawal effect as your levels drop off until next tablet kicks in.

Today has been a bit of a wake up call. I had the most restless night I have had since starting them. Physically very tired but mentally couldn't calm. I feel really edgy today. Just goes to show that can still have bad days until system fully adjusts. It sure is a long road to recovery, but getting nearer to destination.

Her Indoors
17-05-13, 15:23
Hi Maro,

Sorry to hear you had a bad night, hopefully just a small hiccup and you will sleep better tonight. It's dreadful when your body is really tired but your mind is whirring; annoying and frustrating.

I put the whole shower business down to the fact that when I was at my worst a few months back, I would force myself into the shower, have the worrying and obsessive thoughts, become so dizzy and frightened it brought on a panic attack. I think my mind now associates the shower with something very scary.

I haven't had any Diazapam yesterday or today and I feel fine, my mind feels much calmer too, still feel very shakey though.

How do you find your appetite, if you don't mind me asking? I still struggle with food and completely lost mine when I first started this episode. I am a small build anyway and have lost over a stone, so really need to put on some weight as most of my clothes are now too big for me. I have had lunch which for the first time in ages I actually enjoyed and cooked an evening meal last night and managed to eat most of it, so hopefully I am beginning to recover (I expect I have jinxed myself now and will have a terrible weekend!).

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my posts, and have a good weekend. When you feel down, just remember how much you have helped a complete stranger, a lady "in cyberspace" out there, and feel good about yourself.

All the best,

J xx

maro111
18-05-13, 14:46
Yesterday was a strange day. I was edgy the night before and didnt feel right. I felt really down, anxious and my libido was a lot higher than had been. The whole day was as if i wasn't taking tablets at all. Today feel better again and more in line with how have been feeling. Tiredness after a restless night probably didn't help. Just shows me that still potential to be up and down. Have a review a week on Thurs which will be just over 8 weeks at this dose.

Hi J. I struggle to eat when nervous. And cant be bothered when depressed. I am a bit underweight anyway but since starting the tabs I have lost even more which is a common side effect. Still its better than the 3 1/2 stone I put on with Venlafaxine

maro111
19-05-13, 15:02
Luckily it seems like Friday was just a blip. Feeling quite good today. The fact that its a sunny weekend isn't getting me down as it would pre-sertraline. Starting to feel a little less anxious generally but im not going to let myself get over-excited. I have become lazier in the things that bore me like how cleaning etc. At the same time I am slightly more motivated about things that interest me. I feel my judgement about matters is clearer and I am not letting things bother me nearly as much. I feel lighter in general. Im bored most of the time but dont feel able yet to get out into the world. My brother and his gf visited yesterday and I was laughing/smiling. I felt myself at times trying to be self conscious but something in my head shouted it down.

Her Indoors
19-05-13, 19:04
Hi Maro,

Had an awful day today, so jittery and anxious. I am really upset and shakey. Its exhausting being like this. I sometimes feel like the sertraline is making me worse, yet have had times when I have felt calm. This morning was terrible (as usual) and seemed to get worse after I had taken my meds. I had four days of feeling slightly better now feel as bad as weeks ago. I wonder whether my medication is too strong for me as I am only 8 stone. It was four weeks on Friday that I was put up to 200 mg. Please tell me this is just a blip, can't take much more.

So glad you are getting better though.

J xx

maro111
19-05-13, 20:45
Hi J

Really sorry to hear you have had a bad day. What you describe really does sound like side effects. Its impossible to say how long you will have them but over the next couple of weeks they should settle down. I have read a couple of people mention that correct dosage is related to body weight/size etc but tbh I have no idea if this is true. I think the problem is not so much the dose you are on but the speed at which you have increased dosages. Your doctor didn't really give the lower dosages a chance to work going up so quickly. Your body is having to adjust to them pretty quickly. This is why its normal to increase dosages more slowly so the body has an easier time adjusting. But im sure your doctor knows what he/she is doing.

It will definitely be a blip and you just need to stay strong and you will feel so much better very soon.

I tell myself a little saying I once heard when feeling down about the side effects

"If you dont have the debt, you dont deserve the reward" . We must pay this small price to feel so much better.

Her Indoors
20-05-13, 07:03
Hi Maro,

Thanks for reply. Sorry I am "hogging" your posts, it's just you seem so knowledgeable about this medication, and to be honest have been more help than the medical people I have seen. I am getting pretty desperate and it's frightening when you feel like this for so long. Slept badly last night as well and am terrified I will go back to how I was when I couldn't sleep, eat or get off the sofa. My family need me and I am barely functioning and wake up every morning thinking "here we go again".

Sorry for moaning, glad you seem much better, so I will just stick with it (don't have a choice really) and hope I feel better soon.

Many thanks,

J xxx

maro111
20-05-13, 08:38
Hi J,

Dont apologise, i'm glad I can help :). Sertraline is notorious for taking ages to work which makes it so difficult to start on. A lot of people sadly quit taking it for this reason believing that it will never help them. For the first couple of months or so it can be very discouraging is all you get is side effects without any therapeutic benefits. But the number of times I have read peoples posts saying how amazing it is when it finally starts working is enough to keep me going.

For me personally, I have had so much talking therapy and lived with anxiety for so long, that I am willing to give anything a try and suffer any start up problems if there is the slightest hope of them helping me. My life wasn't worth living before them so have nothing to lose tbh.

I am still way off where I want to be regarding the effects of the tablets, but as long as I am doing something to try and tackle the anxiety I still have that flicker of hope of a better life.

You will get there. Have you not been offered beta blockers?

Her Indoors
20-05-13, 08:54
Hi,

I am literally climbing the walls, anxiety is terrible, worrying thoughts, shaking, cried again last night to my husband. I don't know what to do with myself, as bad as before I started, possibly worse. I'm really frightened.

J xx

maro111
20-05-13, 09:33
Hi,

I think you need to give your doctor a ring and tell them if you are struggling so bad. They can give you beta blockers in the meantime for the anxiety etc.

It sounds like your body cant cope with such a quick increase.

---------- Post added at 09:33 ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 ----------

Its does sound like intense start up effects. The joys of ssri's making you worse at first.

Her Indoors
20-05-13, 09:48
Hi Maro,

And now have a really upset tummy and feel sick:weep: as well. Don't know why this has started up again, thought I was over that.

Thanks for your reply. Going to ride it out. Have got diazapam and think I have some beta blockers somewhere.

Glad you are getting better.

J xx

maro111
20-05-13, 10:04
:( :( sounds like you are going through hell. Really hope it settles down for you very soon!!

maro111
22-05-13, 10:36
I cant figure these tablets out. The side effects have largely settled. Still have moments of heightened anxiety but any positive effects are very subtle. The racing thoughts are the only thing that has signficantly improved. Depression wise...im not happy, positive etc, but I am less sad. Anxiety is slightly improved. Overall, was hoping for more...but still early-ish days. Review next week.

Been on 100mg 7 weeks now.

maro111
22-05-13, 16:59
Hmm mabye I wasn't entirely fair in my last progress report. I had to go to food shops on own this morning and I found it much less stressful than I would have done without the tablets. Plus I have more energy to do stuff..like this afternoon I painted the outhouse. Only a month or so ago I struggled to get out of bed.

I guess when you expect miracles overnight you miss the very real but much more gradual improvements, and you only see them when you suddenly realise that the things that used to stress you dont bother you so much anymore.

Her Indoors
24-05-13, 08:32
Hi Maro,

Glad to hear you feel you are making progress and have more energy.

I am struggling really badly, throughout the day, but the mornings are unbearable. I really don't know what to do anymore. I have been taking the Sertraline for 10 weeks now Tuesday gone, and when I looked on the calendar I realised I have been on the 200 mg for 6 weeks now (today). I can't honestly say I feel very much better, but evenings are generally better and I can now sleep well without sleeping tablets. I am getting very desperate and really can't face lots trips to the doctors again as I am so worn down and just don't have the energy.

I am going to stick it out until 12 weeks, then contact the doctors, I'm petrified about having to go through withdrawl, or will they just swap me from this to another medication? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I really need it.

Many thanks,

J xx

Catya
24-05-13, 08:53
Hello to you all.
I'm on my first week of sertraline so read the posts with interest . Hope you don't mind my joining his thread?
I'm on 50mg this week, to increase to 100mg next. That scares me a little, I always like the lowest therapeutic dose possible. Would you say 50mg is this, or do most people need 100?
Thanks for any responses.

Ducky
24-05-13, 15:42
Hello to you all.
I'm on my first week of sertraline so read the posts with interest . Hope you don't mind my joining his thread?
I'm on 50mg this week, to increase to 100mg next. That scares me a little, I always like the lowest therapeutic dose possible. Would you say 50mg is this, or do most people need 100?

It varies from person to person as we all have different brain chemistry. Just a question of "suck it and see".:shrug:

maro111
24-05-13, 17:13
Hi Maro,

Glad to hear you feel you are making progress and have more energy.

I am struggling really badly, throughout the day, but the mornings are unbearable. I really don't know what to do anymore. I have been taking the Sertraline for 10 weeks now Tuesday gone, and when I looked on the calendar I realised I have been on the 200 mg for 6 weeks now (today). I can't honestly say I feel very much better, but evenings are generally better and I can now sleep well without sleeping tablets. I am getting very desperate and really can't face lots trips to the doctors again as I am so worn down and just don't have the energy.

I am going to stick it out until 12 weeks, then contact the doctors, I'm petrified about having to go through withdrawl, or will they just swap me from this to another medication? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I really need it.

Many thanks,

J xx

Hi.

From my experience, the last week has been better. I didn't feel anything until this week (weeks 7). So far I have made two phone calls and been out everyday to the shops. (The phones calls are definitely something I couldn't have done).

I appreciate you are going through hell. Give it at least two more weeks, then if no improvement after 8-12 weeks go and see your doc. The fact that your evenings are better means that it should work when levels are sufficiently built up. I only lost side effects such as feeling jittery and tired after 6 or so weeks. Its easy to think that side effects will pass after 2-3 weeks as that is what a lot of people seem to say. But There are also a number of people who experience side effects longer. Especially as you have upped them so quickly.

I wish I could say something more positive, but all you can really do is just hang in there. I'd be very surprised if it didn't improve soon.

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

Hello to you all.

Hi,

Ducky is right, its very much an individual thing. Some people find great relief on 50mg, others need 200mg+. Only you will be able to tell after giving each dose a sufficient time to work. It does take a while unfortunately.

Catya
24-05-13, 17:23
Ok. Many thanks for replying.

Her Indoors
25-05-13, 08:11
Hi Maro,

Thanks for your reply and I am so glad to hear you are improving and have been getting out. Your posts give me hope.

I will stick it out for a few more weeks and if no better will contact my GP for advice.

All the best.

J xx

maro111
30-05-13, 12:00
Hi,

Sorry have been quiet. Went a little off the last week or so. This morning was my monthly review with doc. Have been increased to 150mg as 100mg is pretty subtle for me. Doctor says can go up to 200mg but is trying to keep dosage as low as possible due to my history of side effects with these types of meds. Will hopefully find the energy to start updates again.

Im quite woozy already after first morning of increase.

maro111
04-06-13, 00:12
150mg so far is much more effective for my anxiety than 100mg. Been on 5 days and absolutely no sides effects from the increase

Her Indoors
05-06-13, 08:33
Hi Maro,

Glad to see you are improving and the increase is helping with your anxiety and you aren't having any side effects. Great news.

I am beginning to settle as well and am feeling a bit better. My advice to anyone starting on Sertraline would be to stick with it, it does seem to take a while to kick in though. Good luck to anyone starting on it and I sincerely hope you will begin to feel better soon.

J xx:)

TJSMITH
05-06-13, 12:07
Interested to find out how you get on I been on 100mg ten months doing well but always have an underlying fear and being new to meds confused as to wether this normal and rest has to wether the rest needs to cone from me

maro111
05-06-13, 20:00
Hi TJ

100mg didnt do much for me after 8 weeks so was moved upto 150mg. From day one at 150mg my anxiety has much improved over the 100mg. Still there a bit but hopefully will get better and better. Only been on 150mg a week. Also no side effects at all from increase.

TJSMITH
08-06-13, 10:46
Hi there
T

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 ----------

Hi
Maro how you getting on?? I took the 150mg this morning after ten months as the anxiety still underlying. I'm a bit worried about se but encouraged by your posts

Her Indoors
08-06-13, 14:57
Hi there all,

Glad you are improving Maro, great news.

Stick with it TJ hopefully your anxiety will get under control very shortly too.

I am feeling so much better and have done over the last few days. My appetite has come back and I am much more positive. Anxiety is so much improved (even the mornings!) and I am looking forward to things again and the obsessive thoughts and worrying are so much improved. It did take a while and I am so glad I stuck with the Sertraline, so thank you for your encouragement both of you. It was only a week and a half ago that I was feeling hopeless and dreadful, but with the support of my family, friends and this medication I am recovering well. I think I may have to be on medication for a long time (if not forever) but I am beginning to get my life back so I will just have to accept that.

Good luck both of you and take care.

J xx:hugs:

maro111
10-06-13, 11:56
Thanks J.

So glad you are feeling much better. So pleased for you..you went through such a rough time!

Yay the mornings are better for you as well!!

How long was it on 200mg till you started to feel better?

Im a week and a half into 150mg and anxiety is a little improved but depression isnt. Pretty tired now as well. Strange thing is, from day one of 150mg the anxiety went down.

Ive taken so long to reply as tbh its made me so that cant be bothered doing anything. Im a little forgetful and in a daze. Hoping this will pass in time

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Really dont want to become lazy. Then again im not sure how much of it is the depression

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

Ooh and i have on a couple of occasions said things which have been inappropriate. Nothing bad but need to careful of that. Its like you just dont care!

Her Indoors
11-06-13, 09:12
Hi Maro,

Had a really good week last week and now this morning I am feeling panicky again. I have just taken my meds and am hoping I will settle in a while. I didn't sleep terribly well last night and awoke feeling anxious. Had such a good week too so am really upset, hopefully just a setback for me. Having obsessive thoughts again as well.

Started to improve noticeably after about 7 weeks on the 200 mg, evenings and sleeping improved a long time ago.

I hate it when I get panicky as it takes a long time for me to settle (sometimes into the evenings). This anxiety business is a rollercoaster, isn't it? I was told by a doctor that just because we have setbacks it doesn't mean we are back to square one. I thought because I had such a good week, I was "cured", now I realise I am still only just recovering and it will take time and lots of courage. I had a good week, so I know I can feel better.

Take care, and thanks for your messages, they give me comfort.

J xx

Her Indoors
12-06-13, 08:31
Hi All,

Oh dear, having a terrible time again, feel very anxious and panicky again, obsessive thoughts and worries, not coping very well at all.

Had a really good week now in a pit of dispair again. Not sure what to do, or if the Sertraline is the right medication for me. What is the best medication for OCD/anxiety? I am not bothered about gaining weight or anything, just want to stop this crippling anxiety.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, I am getting desperate.

J xx:weep:

maro111
12-06-13, 10:07
Hi J

Please try not to worry. I think blips like this are common for the first months. The fact that it has been working shows that it should do the job. The blips will become less and less with time. I know its super hard but try and stick with it.

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 ----------

After nearly two weeks on 150mg im jusr getting some side effects. Increased anxiety. Hopefully wont last long.feeling not very positive either

Her Indoors
12-06-13, 12:40
Hi Maro,

Thanks for your support and for the reply, sorry to hear not great for you either at the moment. I feel so disheartened. That'll teach me for boasting about how much better I was feeling. Usually I am very pessimistic about saying I am feeling better, I guess ups and downs are to be expected with this horrible condition. I can't believe I went to town on my own on Monday, but struggled with even getting out of bed and ready yesterday. I was due to go out today, but had to cancel as was so panicky and tummy playing up again, I'm sick to death of having my life ruined by this chronic anxiety and panic. Sorry end of rant, and not helpful.

I will stick it out, no choice really, too worn out to face more appointments and horrible "start up" symptoms again. Resorted to taking some diazapam this morning as got myself into such a state after not taking any for a week.

Anyhow, enough of me, take care and try to stay positive (easier said than done) Hopefully we will both feel better soon.

All the best.

J xx

Her Indoors
05-07-13, 10:56
Hi there Maro,

How are you feeling now? Hope you are ok and are settling and your meds are working for you.

Kindest regards.

J xxx

Camike88
14-07-13, 00:50
I have been reading through both of your posts and was curious as to how you are both feeling?

Her Indoors
15-07-13, 11:21
I have been reading through both of your posts and was curious as to how you are both feeling?
Hi there,

I am a bit worried about Maro, as we haven't heard from him for a while, hope he is ok and coping, really hope he is improving.

As for me, not so good, struggling a lot and still very anxious, hopefully will get some advice as to what will be done to help me, I really need it, and perhaps a change of medication.

Hope you are well and thanks for asking, means a lot to me. Best wishes.

J xxxx

Camike88
15-07-13, 12:03
I really do hope something works out for you. I recently had a strange episode where i felt depressed and anxious out of nowhere. Ive been very worried and tried two medications for a couple days but I almost feel like I cant go through the start up/withdrawals... I have been feeling a bit better the last couple of days so I hope its just a passing thing. I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated! Hopefully Maro is doing alright.

Her Indoors
15-07-13, 12:23
I really do hope something works out for you. I recently had a strange episode where i felt depressed and anxious out of nowhere. Ive been very worried and tried two medications for a couple days but I almost feel like I cant go through the start up/withdrawals... I have been feeling a bit better the last couple of days so I hope its just a passing thing. I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated! Hopefully Maro is doing alright.

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better, perhaps you are on the road to recovery and that's great. Likewise, let me know how you are getting on (if you don't mind) and take care. If they change my medication, I am really not looking forward to the change over as I had a horrible time when I first started on the medication, but then again I was very anxious.

I sincerely hope you keep improving and lots of luck to you.

J xxx

maro111
21-07-13, 22:50
Hi J and Camike88

Really sorry I have been quiet and many thanks for your concerns.

The 150mg dose is working much better for me anxiety wise and obsessing wise. Depression wise its not been too great. I have been really tired and lethargic (and tbh a bit lazy) on the increased dose but that finally seems to be passing. I find that when I need a boost i can take 200mg without any ill effects, but I know that isnt the right thing to do.

How are you both doing today? Is the 200mg not working for you J?

Her Indoors
21-07-13, 23:58
Hi J and Camike88

Really sorry I have been quiet and many thanks for your concerns.

The 150mg dose is working much better for me anxiety wise and obsessing wise. Depression wise its not been too great. I have been really tired and lethargic (and tbh a bit lazy) on the increased dose but that finally seems to be passing. I find that when I need a boost i can take 200mg without any ill effects, but I know that isnt the right thing to do.

How are you both doing today? Is the 200mg not working for you J?

Hi Maro,

Lovely to hear from you and I am glad to see your anxiety and obsessive thoughts are easing, that's great news. Hopefully your depression will begin to ease soon too, now you are feeling better.

I had been feeling a little better too for a few days, then today when I was cooking our roast I felt really panicky and strange, and my intrusive thoughts started all over again and I felt terrified again. I had to take some diazepam to calm myself before it all escalated and I wouldn't be able to eat anything. I am really upset because I haven't taken any for five days, now I feel like I am back to square one.

I have been referred to the Recovery Team and have had my Sertraline reduced to 150 mg and my Mirtazapine increased to 45 mg, with a view to swapping me over to Clomipramine, I believe, which hopefully should be more effective for my OCD/anxiety. I don't know what to do now, as there are times when I feel I am getting better, then periods when I just feel panicky and terrified again. Mornings are still pretty terrible though, but I am sleeping and eating better now and haven't cried in a week.

I just don't know what to do now regarding my medication, whether I should stick with my current tablets or switch to their suggestion if that would be more effective?

Hope things continue to improve for you, very best wishes.

J xxx

Charlie11
25-07-13, 09:50
Sorry to jump in. I'm also on sertaline 200mgs and mirtazipine 45mgs have been on the sertaline for 4 wks and I know it is a short time but I can't bare the anxiety that I have all day. I dread waking up in the mornings. I also have diazipam which I feel isn't working anymore as my anxiety is so bad. I haven't eaten for 3 wks except a banana a day and yogurt drinks. Really nausea and upset stomach. Anyone any advice. My psych is losing her patience with me as she says I am looking for a magic pill that doesn't exist.

Her Indoors
25-07-13, 10:28
Hi Charlie,

My advice would be to try to stick it out with the medication for a little longer (believe me, I know just how hard it is) to give yourself a chance with the tablets. I completely understand about the unrelentless anxiety, that's how I feel for the majority of the time and it is horrible. Have you got support/family/friends to comfort you? I really hope so. I completely understand about the eating problem, hopefully when your anxiety gets under control your appetite will improve also. Have you tried those build-up type milk shakes, the strawberry ones are usually quite paletable and maybe switch to full-fat milk if you don't already have that for the extra calories?

Try to distract yourself with the television or play computer games, crosswords, puzzles anything that you can concentrate on (again very difficult, I know) just to give yourself a break from your thoughts. I am sorry to hear your doctor doesn't seem to be sympathetic, perhaps you could find another, as comments like that aren't helpful. You aren't well and you need support and help to recover, that's her job after all.

Message me whenever you like, I completely understand how you feel.
Kind regards.

J xxx

Charlie11
25-07-13, 11:26
Thank you for your reply. I have support from my husband and family. I'm scared they are going to run out of patience with me. My mum is elderly and really worried abt me it's not fair on her. This has been going on for a year now was on Prozac for 8 months. Which when I look bck seems to have been working better than the sertaline. I am going to try hypnosis today will try anything.:weep:

Her Indoors
25-07-13, 18:06
Hi Charlie,

Glad to hear you have support from your husband and family, actually your situation sounds very much like mine, I too have elderly parents and worry about the effect all this is having on them. I had a massive panic again this morning and had to call them over to be with me and they were brilliant. I feel guilty and worry that if they need me I won't be able to help them so I really have to get better. I am slightly better than I was and usually feel better in the evenings and I do sleep well, it's the waking with the panic and I can't cope with.

Hope the hypnotherapy goes well and brings you some relief, would be interested to hear about that as it's something I have considered myself. Quite frankly I would do anything to feel better in the mornings.

Take care.

J xxxxx

Charlie11
25-07-13, 18:23
It's the same for me as soon as I open my eyes its there but for the last 3 wks it's lasted all day and night thankfully after taking my mirtazipine I'm able to sleep. If that stops working I don't know what I will do. I have just tried 10 mgs of diazipam hopefully that will calm me down a bit. Thank u for your support today. I don't know abt the hypnosis but I will go bck next wk she asked me to write a story abt my anxiety which I find difficult to do as I have no motivation and don't know were to start.

Her Indoors
25-07-13, 23:25
It's the same for me as soon as I open my eyes its there but for the last 3 wks it's lasted all day and night thankfully after taking my mirtazipine I'm able to sleep. If that stops working I don't know what I will do. I have just tried 10 mgs of diazipam hopefully that will calm me down a bit. Thank u for your support today. I don't know abt the hypnosis but I will go bck next wk she asked me to write a story abt my anxiety which I find difficult to do as I have no motivation and don't know were to start.

Hi there Charlie,

Sorry you are having such a tough time, hopefully the diazapam will give you some relief. That's good that at least you are able to sleep, I think Mirtazapine is supposed to be very good for that. I have also been given diazapam and find it helpful in easing my anxiety, although I really try not to take it if possible. I think I have read or seen somewhere that mornings are usually the last thing to get better with anxiety, so perhaps we just have to give it some time, it's the pits though, having panic and anxiety as soon as you open your eyes.

Perhaps you could just jot down a few notes for the therapist if you find writing a story too daunting; I know what you mean about motivation, I am really struggling to do anything very much at the moment.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.:bighug1:

J xxx