PDA

View Full Version : Rib/back pain

kerri
06-05-13, 16:39
Hi I have been having pain in the outer side of my ribs towards my back on the left hand side. I saw an out of hours GP yesterday who said it was muscular but im still worried. I had my BP done and it was good, he listened to my chest and again said that was clear. The pain is still present and seems to be radiating down the whole left side of my body. Occasionaly I will get a shooting pain down the whold left side. Could muscular really cause all this pain?

flori
06-05-13, 16:50
Hi Kerrie,
Muscular pain can be really sore and yes it can travel down your leg.

Hope you feel better soon.

Spot-the-frog
06-05-13, 16:59
I get rib pain and mine is muscular, when I get anxious I tense my diaphram area - sort of top of tummy and this affects my ribs. I am trying really hard to relax this area, but I do it without thinking. It really hurts my ribs....

Takeiteasy
06-05-13, 19:03
My HA started with chest and back pain, that went and then I had arm and shoulder pain, now rib pain both at the sides and underneath.
I've seen my (very understanding!) GP a number of times, had 2 lots of blood tests (everything clear), been prodded, poked, palpated, you name it. It is ALL muscular from anxiety and tension. My digestion is awful too and it's all to do with how I tense up with this anxiety.
If your GP has told you it's muscular, please be reassured by that and that others have it too. Don't worry. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone at all and good luck with cracking the anxiety xx

kerri
06-05-13, 19:10
I have had chest xray and bloods several months ago, But this pain is different, it is normally centred but this is on the outer side and it feels hard to catch my breath. So hard not to run of to a and e

lily413
06-05-13, 19:13
Hi kerri

I had the exact same thing a few months ago. I too was very worried about it. I went to my GP who pressed my ribs (VERY painful!) and said if your ribs are sore when pressed it is muscular and not anything to do with your organs (I was worried there was something wrong with my liver or right lung as it was in my right side). He said I probably slept on it funny or could be tension. I left thinking "yeah right" (sucks having HA, why do I think I know more that a fully trained, experienced GP?!?!) Anyway, after about a week it completely went! This may too have coincided with swapping my saggy, lumpy, ridged old mattress for a firm new one!

Anyway, the lesson here is to remember that the GPs are very qualified to pick up on signs of something serious going on and we just have to trust them sometimes. (Easier said than done I know!)

Hope my similar experience helps.

Takeiteasy
06-05-13, 21:39
Mine is also on the outside of my ribs, on the lower ribs and also like pressure points further up where I can only imagine my bra digs in. However, if I poke the outside of my knee, this is also very painful but my brain doesn't seem to worry I've got knee cancer! Daft how our brains can worry us so much.
Your bloods and x-ray would have shown up anything of concern. It's muscular. I'm going to the gym and doing yoga to try and use up some of this adrenaline, strengthen my shattered muscles and, at the very least, it gives my brain a reason for aches and pains!!
Go back to your GP for reassurance again if you need to, that's what they're there for and will hopefully be supportive x

countrygirl
07-05-13, 14:02
I was just going to post aboutt his as well. I have spinal problems and I get very stiff painful ribs all the time.
They have been particularly bad for past 2 weeks and a few days ago I got sharp pains in my chest just to left of sternum (centre) whenever I move around but they go away if I keep still. I also have pain around bottom of my ribs on same side and my armpit hurts when I move in certain way.

My rational brain is saying its all muscular/skeletal from my spine issues but the ha brain has so far diagnosed breast/lung and spine cancer.

I am off to chiropractor tomorow to see if he can help but I know I will be off to Drs by next week if it does not go!

kerri
07-05-13, 17:38
Thanks for all your replys. Well the pain is still there, it was fine on waking this morning but has got worse as the day goes on. I have been googling all day. Have so far diagnosed myself with pleurisy :blush:. I have made an appointment with GP but cant get in to see him till next monday.

NeNe01
07-05-13, 21:49
I too get this, i was told the same its muscular all to do with your breathing when suffering anxiety, i've been taught how to relax the muscles like clenching fists, pointing feet, clenching chest & stomach muscles, and learning to breath thro my belly rather than my chest