PDA

View Full Version : Not really feeling effects?

Bmouthboyo
06-05-13, 23:22
Hi Guys,

I have a fear of flying which I think is more the fear of lack of control and being up so high and not having the option to get off if needed. I have had mild panic attacks where my brain is going haywire and I am hot and very very panicky but not like breaking down or noticeable to others. it all came from briefly being stuck in a gondola when skiing 12 years ago. i have flown short haul since but always dread the thought of panicking mid flight.

I have a long 11 hour flight soon and so my usual tactic of getting drunk will not really be an option so I went to my doctors and she prescribed me 10 5mg Diazepam tablets.

I have never taken benzo's before etc and so wanted to try them out so I know what to expect, so last night I took half to start, hour later no effect, so then took other half and a whole one (10 mg total), didn't really notice much and so 4 hours later took another 5mg. So at that point over space of about 6 hours I had 15mg and although relaxed a little I guess did not really notice much.

Now obviously I was at home in comfort of my room so nothing really anxious to test it against. I watched some YouTube clips of planes with turbulence and didn't really worry etc but I would not have before either with the flight not for another 3 months. It is also worth mentioning I am 220 lbs and am no lightweight when it comes to alcohol etc.

I am not sure if i should now go to doc and tell her it doesn't seem to have an effect on me, take higher dose or if it was just because I was not in a anxious situation. I do not really suffer anxiety at any other time other than flying. I was expecting from what i read online to feel very sleepy which i didn't really, and expected to be very careless and happy which I also wasn't particularly.

Any advice?

Cheers

Bryan86
07-05-13, 22:36
Hey man. I found myself in a similar situation, panic over flying etc. after developing an anxiety disorder and then had to take a flight without meds, where I flipped out. Anyway, I really wanted to fly so I was also prescribed diazepam. To be honest when I took them I didn't really feel anything or any different until it got to getting on the plane, at which point I felt pretty chilled out but basically just not bothered with the situation. That first flight was about 3.5 hours I think and it was fine, flew plenty since then on the same dosage without any incidents. I usually take 12.5mg per flight and I weigh about 190 I reckon, so not that much smaller than yourself. With a long haul I guess it's just a case of take a few, and as they have a good half life, and then bang a few more half way through the flight, that's what I'd do anyway! Have stuff to keep you occupied and distracted too, I normally just bring my iPad loaded up with tv shows, music, games etc. and it keeps my mind busy and stops it drifting into places I don't want it to go! You'll be fine mate!