PDA

View Full Version : fasting blood glucose of 6.6

Eek
07-05-13, 07:46
So I had my fasting blood glucose taken and it's 6.6 :( normal is under 5.6 and diabetic is 7.0 so I'm nearly diabetic. I now have to have a glucose tolerance test to see if I'm diabetic. If I am I get to thank my olanzapine (zyprexa) for something else as it can cause diabetes and unfortunately it doesn't go when you stop taking it. I'm really worried now that I'm going to have to go on medication for diabetes especially as it interacts with my other medication (fluvoxamine) - sigh what doesn't interact with it? It seems every drug on earth interacts with fluvoxamine even caffeine which I don't have at the moment any way because of my insomnia.

sarahsarah
07-05-13, 08:01
You might not be diabetic, just wait and see after the glucose tolerant test. I had similar results in a fasting test, did the GTT and I wasn't diabetic. It was certainly a wake-up call for me to do more exercise and watch my diet better and since making those changes, my fasting blood tests have always come back within non-diabetic range. I know I still have the propensity to develop diabetes at a later date and that did frighten me a lot but I know know there are worse things you could have to cope with than diabetes and if you manage it well, it doesn't have to change your life for the worse.

I know you're worried about your medication but even if you are diabetic, you might not be put on any drugs to control it. I suppose essentially what I am saying is don't worry about it until you get the GTT results back, then take it from there if you need to xx

countrygirl
07-05-13, 13:40
Before your glucose tolerance test if you hve time eat a low carb diet ( not a no carb diet!) and see if this improves your results. It may be that you have a choice in that if you stick to a low carb diet this will be enough to control your glucose intolerance.

If you already have a low carb diet ignore above!

Ats666
07-05-13, 15:14
Cain ask why they tested your fasting glucose? Did you have symptoms? I've had mine done today and I am worried sick over the result. It was picked up during a full blood test that my non fasting was 7.2 :weep:

Eek
08-05-13, 02:39
I have mine tested regularly because of my medication, it can cause diabetes. I've just come off the medication now, but it seems that it's already affected my blood glucose adversely.

not sure what is good or bad for non-fasting but you're only .2 over what would be considered diabetic on fasting so my guess would be that your fasting glucose will be fine.