PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding in smears worried!

jaynehal
07-05-13, 18:55
Hi there

Worried again!

This is my 2nd smear today as my other in Jan this year was inadequate my nurse said it was prob too much blood for them to read the result.

So just had another and surprise surprise I bled quite a bit again, but seem to remember that I have bled on all my smears but the results could be read then, do you think it's to do with my cervical erosion??

Anyone else have this problem please x

Munchlet
07-05-13, 19:36
Hi Jaynehal

Absolutely your cervical ectropion can cause this. I've had so many problems with smears over the years, bled nearly every time, bled during and after intercourse etc, spotting during periods and it was all down to an ectropion.

I had the ectropion treated but over the last couple of years I was having the same problems again, heavy spotting in between periods, quite heavy bleeding after intercourse I was so worried as the doctor just kept saying it was my ectropion. Anyway in the end they referred me to the hospital again and they treated the area with silver nitrate and said it was an ectropion and possibly some polyp cells, but they biopsied it (which was normal) and since it was treated it's settled down.

I know it's worrying when this happens but an ectropion can definately cause these symptoms and more, as long as you are having your smears then you'll be fine. Besides my doctor said they can tell most cervical abnormalities just by looking during your smear.

Take care

jaynehal
07-05-13, 19:46
Thank you feel sick with worry, just keep thinking its going to be inadequate again, and it's embarrassing as well when it bleeds all the time, hope it comes back ok this time! Do you think they can read some samples with blood on then?

Thanks for the lovely reply xx

Murdock
07-05-13, 19:58
I have similar problems. Always bleed on smears, often after intercourse (TMI) Not had an inadequate due to it so they've always been able to read them. Starting to think the bleeding might explain my borderline result just last month. Been an issue all my life. GP can't explain it, seen a gynaecologist last year who said everything was fine. Had an internal scan, and nothing showed up. Colposcopy scheduled on Thursday due to borderline smear but when tested the sample showed no HPV so not expecting anything to show on that. It sucks and it's embarrassing but I think it's just the way my body is. Maybe you just have a sensitive cervix?

Munchlet
07-05-13, 19:59
I believe all surgeries do the liquid based cytology now and the reason they switched to this was because the cells are on a brush which gets put into liquid, they are then able to separate everything so they don't get blood or anything they don't need mixed up with the cells.

I remember reading that this form of testing was a lot better for this reason as it makes reading smears easier and far less women get called back for inadequate smears.

The other thing is the brush is a lot harsher than the little wooden thing they used to use, honestly they only had to touch me with the brush and my cervix would bleed, which might explain why you are bleeding more it's obviously not kind on ectropions which are very delicate cells anyway.

It must also be more accurate or get more cells or something as I remember having an abnormal smear years ago (before they did LBC) and when I went back for a repeat in six months the nurse said because you are a recall we have to use the brush on you??? At the time I didn't ask why but thinking about it, that must have been because they get a clearer sample and I'd had an abnormal one.

I know it is horrible I worry sick everytime I have a smear but the good thing is you are having them regularly and that is the most pro-active thing you can do to look after yourself :yesyes:

jaynehal
07-05-13, 20:36
Thanks again I'm very miserable tonight was just hoping it didn't bleed again but no such luck, it didn't make the water very red though like last time so fingers crossed, they must be able to read some blood ones as she said bleeding was common, but I did bleed a bit!

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

Anyone else had quite abut of bleeding on smears!

jaynehal
08-05-13, 11:18
Still worried today how soon can you get the results!