PDA

View Full Version : Should I complain about CBT

PITITA
26-09-06, 14:13
Can't believe its me again here...i just posted a minute ago how low I feel but there is another thing that really bugs me.

Okay I hate to admit but ist MY FAULT eniterly. I went to see my Gp in february to tell her about my anxieties, and I could't help but feel that she did not simpathyze with me or the fact that I lost my brother to suicide and she just almost looked at me as if i was just seeking attention or was hipohondriac. It also could be my distorted thinking though, I don't really have a clear perspective on things these days...
All in all I went there I told her i was feeling really anxious and it was affecting my life big time and would like to be put on the waiting list for CBT. She told me that being in London it does take some time to access CBt because there is a huge demand for it...etc. But since I wasn't pushy really I just walked away thinking she did put me on the waiting list. Weeks went by and i started to wonder what happened because I never received a confirmation letter from her saying that I am on the waiting list, and I rememebr that everybody adviced me to go back and just ask if i am on the list, but I didnt which is entirely my own fault. i did not actually explain to her how desperate I was really i just asked her for CBt therapy politely.
Now 8 months has passed by and i had to go back to her because I was having a really bad cold last week and so I thought its better she checks me to see if its viral infection...etc. and i just asked her in a friendly manner how is the list for CBT where am I on the list...and she gave me a funny look and she said i will sort that out for you, and what she meant by that is that I was not on any list at all!!!!!! She still DID NOTHING while I was in the room, meaning she just bl**dy smiled at me and just said that...I will sort it out for you, like she did the first time, and now Im feeling enraged and terribly angry, because this woman just took 8 months away from me like that and even now she is just saying she will sort it out, but what does that mean? Am i goin to be first on the list and get access to it soon, or is she putting me on a list for another God knows how many months?
i know its my own fault really because i did not move a finger for 8 months , but naively I thought that its all in order and the waiting list is just that long and probably they don't send me a letter until i am first on the list...etc.
What does everybody think? What shall I do? I know if I go back and complain to her its gonna come back on me that I WAS THE ONE WHO DID NOT DO ANYTHING for 8 months, she will probably say I just asked her without giving too many details..etc. What do I do now? :(

"Our thinking creates problems that the same type of thinking will not solve" Albert Einstein

net
26-09-06, 15:56
i've discovered if you dont make a nuisance of yourself they do nothing.

there is a long waiting list anything up to 2 years i'm finally starting my therapy on thrsday after waiting 2 years for phsyciatric assessment and nearly 2 for actual therapy.

go back and say your not coping tell her how bad you feel and that you need help desperately that way she should do something but if she doesnt seem to bother with you i would seriously consider finding another gp

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

Louise
26-09-06, 16:27
Hello, firstly, I know from my own experience how annoying doctors and psychologists can be, but you need to calm yourself down now and think about this before you act. Personally I would ask to see the doctor again, taking someone with you who will just sit and listen to the conversation. Write down some questions before you go and don't leave until you have some answers. Yes, you will have a long, long wait for therapy or even the assessments to take place, but you do have the right to ask be referred to the mental health team for assessment if you are finding it hard to cope alone and you should get a straight answer from your doc, it sounds like she is being very vague and that's not acceptable.
You are not making a fuss, I had to stamp my feet to get some help too, don't know why but maybe your doc isn't all that interested in the mental health side of the profession, maybe her area is kids or the elderly, they often do have their favourite areas of medicine. Go back and if necessary ask to see another doc. Good luck.