PDA

View Full Version : Hot flushes - is anyone else getting them?

becuille
07-05-13, 21:19
Been taking Fluox for 9 weeks, (6 weeks at 20mg, 3 weeks at 40mg). Tonight, I've been having what I can only describe as hot flushes. I just feel like I'm burning up from the inside and can't cool down no matter what I do. Then it subsides.
Of course, I'm making myself anxious that there's something else wrong with me, so I was just wondering if this was a common side effect?

jelly2010
07-05-13, 21:52
I'm finding the opposite - I get chilly and shivers. Maybe difficulties with temperature regulation in general is a side effect?
J x

Janine
07-05-13, 22:06
I had hot flashes at five weeks really bad, I had some diazapan for when it got unbearable and would not wear off, it lasted for about a week to 10 days on and off.

becuille
07-05-13, 22:09
jelly, it could well be that.

Janine, glad I'm not the only one. Well, not glad you had to go through that, but you know what I mean. lol. They're horrible. And every time it happens, I panic. The doc has been reluctant to give me more Valium because she gave me some when it started on these but I think I'm going to try her again. It's frustrating because I've got no history of abusing Valium, but the docs can be soo cautious with it.

Janine
07-05-13, 22:20
Yes they are horrible, no my doctor does not like giving it either and I only took one

when I was desperate, but looking back an also from what I have learnt I wish I had been easier on myself and used them more at the time.

I am propanolol though which is a beta blocker and that really helped with the anxiety and when the hot flashes started he upped it to 160mg slow release which I still take with my fluxotiene as I know if it wasn't for both meds I would not be good.

xx

becuille
07-05-13, 22:35
There's nothing wrong with taking Valium as long as you're sensible about it. I've been getting it prescribed on and off for 6 years and I've never developed any issues or abused it. It's just a good last resort kind of thing. Right now, I could just do with some time of not feeling anxious. It would really help me get my head together. I think GPs are just scared of a court case if anyone gets addicted. It's frustrating to me though because one glance at my medical records will tell them I've never abused it.

I'll maybe ask about beta blockers and see if that could help.

Spot-the-frog
08-05-13, 14:22
I'm not taking fluoxetine but am on week 5 of citalopram just gone up to 40mg and am having terrible hot flushes, perhaps it is this type of drug? I just let it wash over me, it's a bit like a menopausal hot flush not nice but will do no harm.

becuille
08-05-13, 15:20
Thanks, Spot-the-frog. It maybe is just something all SSRIs can do. You're right about just letting it wash over you. After about my 10th one last night, I realised they weren't going to harm me and relaxed a little. I'm looking forward to them stopping though because they're not nice, like you say.

Bond Girl
08-05-13, 17:52
Yes! I have hot flushes & I'm on week 3 - feel like my body is boiling from the inside! Horrible!!

Happiness Runs
09-05-13, 01:23
I moved from Fluoxetine onto Citalopram because of hot flushes and inside on fire sensations. I am still quite sensitive to hot and cold though.

janzenz
09-05-13, 01:31
Ditto spot the frog... week 4 citalopram and flushes... Not sure if they are anxiety waves or hot flushes... Hard to tell difference... But all make me feel anxious anyhow! Hopefully will settle... Dont remember getting this when on citalopram a few years ago... Ahh. the wonders of the human body...