PDA

View Full Version : Just booked a holiday arghhh !

lashes
08-05-13, 18:38
Hi all just booked a holiday and I'm so scared I feel totally unprepared to face this ! My cbt therapist says I should just go but now it's actually booked I'm so scared about the flying the being there gettin lost all these crazy what ifs flying round in my head ! I know il probably panic on the plane but since dojng mh cbt im atarting to believe i wont die or faint or anything . And also when we were signing the forms she asked about medical conditions and things are you supposed to say about panic disorder and anxiety !?i didn't hope that dosent matter ? X

SDP
08-05-13, 20:26
Well done on booking the holiday, I understand your fear its a daunting feeling. Two years ago I went to states and on the run up to the depart date I was very anxious so bad I wanted to cancel.
In the airport I was severely anxious was preparing myself for getting wheeled of the plane down runaway, strangely once on the plane I actually calmed down almost like I'm here now nothing I can do about it. So holiday went great with minimal panic, worst part was the months of worry about going.
If you continue to use the cbt techniques you've learned you will have a great time.

:)

Tessar
08-05-13, 22:12
Ok lashes. D'you know what? I have been in exactly the same situation as you describe. I recall going through all sorts of stuff with my therapist both before and after booking my first foreign holiday.
I was really scared about how I would feel on the plane, what if I couldn't cope with the flight? What about other people on the plane? Would they freak me? Will I survive the whole thing or go into meltdown? Just like you my mind was running riot. Well guess what? I survived. I didn't run away at the airport (like my friends thought I might) and you know why. Because I feel now, looking back, that one of the hardest parts was actually booking the holiday. Facing the initial fear and agreeing to do it.
Yes, on the day you go you will be understandably nervous but I feel you really can do it. I say that because you have already come this far. I believe in you. Also you can believe in yourself, which I feel you are already beginning to do because you have taken this scary step. Well done you for achieving something so great. I am really proud of you and you also should feel proud for yourself.
I don't know if you like having lots of information about flying or not? I did alot of research which helped me feel somewhat in control as I understood about the plane, how it's laid out, and all sorts of stuff. It just meant I was more knowledgable. I read up too about the aspects of what I was scared of. This also helped as did sharing my fears with my therapist.
It's so good to read your post.
Recently I did the most amazing thing and flew on my own for work. You,know..... The fear of doing it was far worse than going ahead on the day and doing it.
This is why I feel you are already much of the way there.
I,had to put depression down on our holiday medical insurance and that was fine. I was still covered.
I,am just so pleased for you (can you tell???). Oh, when do you go???

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

strangely once on the plane I actually calmed down almost like I'm here now nothing I can do about it. So holiday went great with minimal panic, worst part was the months of worry about going.
If you continue to use the cbt techniques you've learned you will have a great time.

This sums it up.... It really was like this for me.....each time I have flown since, I have got better.

Annie0904
08-05-13, 22:21
:yahoo: Well done on booking it :) I am the same at the moment, booked it now panicking about going and mine is just a few weeks away. If we had the courage to book it then we have the courage to go! We WILL enjoy our holidays! :D

Tessar
09-05-13, 09:21
Yes Annie we WILL enjoy our holidays. Definitely!!!!
Special congratulations & a HUUUUUUGE WELL DONE
to all people who have booked holidays.....

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:
:scared11: :biggrin: :scared11: :biggrin: :scared11: :biggrin: :scared11: :biggrin: :scared11: :biggrin: :scared11: :biggrin: :scared11: :biggrin: :scared11::biggrin: :scared11:

lashes
09-05-13, 11:26
Thankyou for all ur lovely replys !your all so nice on here it's so great being able to get advice from people that understand , You have really given me confidence tessar flying on your own is amazing !i can't believe I've booked it ! Its my first holiday with my partner he's been so patient he's wanted to go for 5 years and to see him so excited in the travel agents made me so happy ! We are going in September to Tunisia for a week and yes I like to know everything knowledge is definitely power ! We got the gold travel insurance and its a gated resort so nice and safe ! Its not quite sunk in yet that its booked i think nearer the time i will be more nervous I just keep thinking am I ready for this is it the right time but really when is the right time ive been waiting so long for recovery to come to me but i need to go towards recovery .I think I'm the kind of person that needs a push out of my safe zone and every time I've left it recently I've had a lovely time and plus I now know that whatever happens I won't die or faint or go mad I'm sick of living my life around panic and what ifs I think aswel what's helped is I'm not as embarrassed about panic attacks and anxiety now I just to go to great lengths to hide it which obviously made it worse but coming on here you feel normal and my friends and family I have told apart from my dad have been very supportive .i really just need to put down the chocolate biscuits now though if I want half a chance of getting in a bikini!x I know we will all have amazing holidays !

granny85
09-05-13, 19:44
I am reasonably OK ON the plane - my problem is the queuing up to check in!! I KNOW (if I am on a bad day) that I will pass out in the queue, so don't bother any more! Same in supermarkets, leave the trolley & go!

Annie0904
09-05-13, 20:03
I am reasonably OK ON the plane - my problem is the queuing up to check in!! I KNOW (if I am on a bad day) that I will pass out in the queue, so don't bother any more! Same in supermarkets, leave the trolley & go!

At least if you pass out in the queue they will rush you through quicker...maybe I should try that..it has worked in the hospital waiting room before :)

lashes
09-05-13, 20:09
granny85 you really cant pass out from panicking !i believed i could for many years and i never did you only think you will because your dizzy :)

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

but yeah annie if all else fails then thats a good plan B lol x

shotokansho
09-05-13, 20:11
Hi there!
I have been the same as you but like others I managed to cope with it and overcome my fears. The first time was three years ago and I actually cancelled it, to my friends utter dissapointment. I booked another one and for two weeks before the holiday I felt sick to the stomach and was so anxious. I made it to the airport and had a few beers and a stiff drink, I just about managed the flight but still felt anxious while I was actually in Spain. My last holiday I started to feel that same sickness so I went to my GP and she prescribed me two weeks worth of Diazepam, at quite a low dose. They helped me so much and I had no ill effects from it. I had a great holiday too!
It's really good that you have booked your holiday, don't back out and just think about the wonderful time with the people you are going with, and just think about the tan you will come back with to show off.

Kez xx

sarahblonde32
09-05-13, 21:04
hi, i am having the same worries, i have paid a deposit for a holiday now im not sure i can go. im not so worried about the plane, im worried about getting ill :( im so worried about getting an upset tummy abroad!!
aargghh sarahx

lashes
09-05-13, 21:33
I have so many worries and the getting ill thing ! Intend to panic when im ill but if you do get a funny tummy thats all it is nothing serious I'm just going to take some of those rehydration sachets that you out in water and just watch what I'm drinking and make sure foods cooked well :) you can do it ! X

Tessar
09-05-13, 21:48
At least if you pass out in the queue they will rush you through quicker...maybe I should try that..it has worked in the hospital waiting room before :)

Good plan, just make sure if you put it on that it looks plausible! I would probably end up laughing or something. I hate the queuing too. Though when I did my local flight the other day, the lady at the desk was calling me and I was soooo nervous I didn't hear her!

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

hi, i am having the same worries, i have paid a deposit for a holiday now im not sure i can go. im not so worried about the plane, im worried about getting ill :( im so worried about getting an upset tummy abroad!! aargghh sarahx

I know where u r coming from Sarah. Re tummy: if your stick to the rules such as drink bottled water, don't use ice, also I think Salad should be avoided. Those sorts of things help. Also acidophilus can help keep things stable too

Re: the flights... It really is mind over matter in the end. I was nervous before doing my first flights for about three years. This time I flew alone, a first for me. But what I have learned from this is, you really can do these things if you put your mind to it and the rewards are most definitely worth it. I was saying in my post earlier that I like to do alot of homework before I go. I feel more in control then. You can do it Sarah. We Can help you.:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

I have so many worries and the getting ill thing ! Intend to panic when im ill but if you do get a funny tummy thats all it is nothing serious I'm just going to take some of those rehydration sachets that you out in water and just watch what I'm drinking and make sure foods cooked well :) you can do it ! X

WE CAN ALL DO IT :bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:
It's brave to face your fear, it takes real strength and courage and we can help each other get there.
Also, in addition to having an amazing holiday (& one you never thought possible) when you accomplish something like this, it really boosts your overall confidence. You grow in strength and other things can become possible.