PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help?

megs
23-06-04, 14:30
I suffer lots of different symptoms and would like to know if anyone else does cos they really frighten me.

I get tension headaches
aches in my elbows, wrists, hands and feet
have to go to toilet a lot sometimes its loose sometimes constipated
pain in my chest where the triangle is between the ribs (like a dull ache)
chest feels tight when I get up in the morning
in bed at night I feel like my pj's are pressing into me just below my ribs but they're not
some days I feel a bit woozy, (lightheaded, shaky, a little nauseous and feel detatched from everything. This can last for hours.
I feel like I have a lump or something in my throat.
sometimes have a dry mouth other times it waters loads.

Please somebody help.

Megs
xx

hazel
23-06-04, 14:37
Hi Megs,

Don't worry, I think loads of get the symptoms that you described. I used to get terrible chest pains and tightness which lasted for about 6 months until I was finally convinced by Dr's that there was nothing wrong with me physically and as soon as I realised this, they disappeared like magic!! My main symptoms is the one which you described about the lightheadness, nausea and feeling detached. I often feel very dizzy and faint especially in the morning although this too seems to have improved a little since I realised I was not on the brink of heartattack! The feeling detached think is horrible, it can last for days with me and I don't really feel like talking to people when it happens and I am quite irritable. I'm not too sure how to get rid of it really. I often need to go to loo when I am anxious and I get pains in my hands a lot so I hope this reassures you a little.

paul
23-06-04, 16:15
hello megs,i get the dizzy head and tension,in fact most of what you described.it throws me out of sync andits preety bad of recent days.i still try and understand that its the symptoms of anxiety but its tough,take care ,,paul

Caitlyn89
23-06-04, 17:53
Sometimes i get tension headaches not too often though...yes i have the chest pains...yes i have the lump in my throat feeling...and yes same with the toilet....these are all symptoms of anxiety no need to worry :-)

seh1980
23-06-04, 19:06
Hi Megs,

I get a lot of the symptoms you mentioned!! especially the pains in the chest and the lump in the throat. no need to worry, they're just symptoms of anxiety...

Sarah (seh1980)

gingerone
23-06-04, 20:10
Hi Ya Meg
Don,t worry i get these its nasty work. let it go and dont look into i do that and it helps a bit. love christina

c j giff

Carly H
23-06-04, 21:17
Hi Megs,

I get all of the above, there all nasty some days im convienced Im dying because I feel soooooo exhausted from having an attack or worrying about having one!!!! I was so frightened by the attacks and still am but from reading lots about them they assure you that nothing bad can happen while your feeling down so I try and tell myself that, it has helped...

I just hope it helps you to

xx

C.Gregory

megs
23-06-04, 22:58
Thanks everyone. it does help to know other people feel the same as me.
Whenever I feel the slightest thing wrong I look on the internet and always find really bad things. I know I shouldn't do it but I can't help it. Does anyone else do that?

Meg
23-06-04, 23:03
Hi Megs ,

Check on the symptoms page of this website and you find all yor symptoms listed. Do read First steps in the introduction section of this forum.

You are not alone in persistant research into every symptom. Howver you're likely to do yourself more harm than good doing this over and over again.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

megs
23-06-04, 23:16
Thanks Meg
I thought I was improving for a couple of weeks then my mum went on holiday and I have just been getting worse and worse.
I stopped believin all these things can be caused by anxiety and I am convinced every day that I have some kind of life threatening illness.

Megs
xxx

megs
23-06-04, 23:37
Just remembered something else. My heart doesn't seem to bother me. There have been a couple of occasions when it has beat fast but most of the time it feels normal. Does this mean my other problems aren't anxiety related?

Jules31
24-06-04, 11:14
Hi Megs

I don't get the heart stuff either. Well I had a few palps when it all started two years back but not now.

Carly H
24-06-04, 13:19
Megs

You do exactly what I do, if I feel a bit achey or run down im convienced im dying!!! My other half is always saying Carly theres nothing wrong with you, but always finds me on the internet trying to look up my symptoms on NHS Helpline!!!

C.Gregory

megs
24-06-04, 20:09
Hi Carly
Just thought I'd let you know that I have convinced myself I have kidney cancer today cos I've got a bit of an ache in my back. How do you stop thinking the worst?

Megs

Carly H
24-06-04, 22:57
Megs,

I always think the worst, im lucky that my Fiancee will always re-assure me and try and make me see im healthy... have you had the blood tests done at the doctors???? Sounds stupid and I really didnt want to tell anyone but my phobia was Aids!!! I was convienced I had it even though I don t think ive ever met anyone with it!!! Now even though if I get the slightest sniffle I go back to it, and My Mum and fiancee have to remind me that everything was ok with the blood test, but I get like a mental block and forget everything and stop thinking rationally (think thats how you spell it!!) Let me know if this makes sense as sometimes I feel im the only one that feels like this!!??!!

Hope the pains gone now Meg anyway

Speak to you soon x

C.Gregory

stimpy
24-06-04, 23:31
I wouldn't worry too much Megs,

All of those symptoms sound pretty standard to me.

Infact I can agree with a good few of them myself.
Aches and pains in joints, funny toilet moments,
pain in my chest (like a dull ache),lightheaded, shakey, and detatched from everything. Even the funny lump in my throat.

You aren't the only one who feels like this, as we all feel it too.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

megs
25-06-04, 09:11
I had blood tests done when I was pregnant. My doc said if there was anything it would of been found then. I'm 12 weeks post natal now so not to long ago but I'm still scared. Every day I wake up and the first thing I feel is fear. Fear of how I'm gonna feel when I get up, fear of how I'm gonna get through the day and worstly fear that I have some kind of terminal illness. How can I have days when I feel weak, lightheaded, nauseous and a bit shaky and there not be anything physically wrong with me. The way I see it is these thoughts must of come from somewhere, how can I be so wrong about myself. My biggest fear is cancer. How can my doctor know I haven't got it when he does no tests. So far I had blood and urine tests etc when I was pregnant. I've had an MRI scan of my head because I was getting tension headaches every day. I've also had a pelvic exam and smear test recently. But I still feel like I've not had any tests and there is something seriously wrong with me. I'm 24 years old and feel like my life is over. My doc and mum want me to take anti-depressants but I'm too scared because I know I'll worry about all the side effects that I'll feel. I try my hardest but just can't stop thinking this way and I just don't know what to do. Please help.

Megs
xxx

stimpy
25-06-04, 09:52
It is very common for people with anxiety disorder to fear that they are dying of some terrible and terminal illness. - So in that respect you are not alone.
It is also a well known fact that Mr Panic is the master of cunning and can mimick symptoms very well indeed.

Your doctor is right, if anything had shown up in your test results you would have been told
long before now.

The Dizziness, lightheadedness or nausea - is caused by a shallow breathing.
The Trembling, sweating and shaking - is caused by a build up of adrenalin.

Breathing deeply and trying to relax will help these things go away.
There is nothing seriously wrong. It is just that your panic button is switched to on and glowing bright red, even though there is nothing to be afraid of.

Be positive and keep telling yourself everything is okay and it is just panic, nothing more serious than that.

Hang in there, hun and try to relax a little.
You are going to wear yourself out.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

lainey
28-06-04, 10:55
Hi Megs

I get most of the symptoms you described too, i went to the dr last week because of the lump in my throat as i thought i had cancer she reassured me it was all to do with anxiety and by that night it had gone !!! crazy eh. I am also like like you and refuse to take anti-depressants. I now take st johns wort and vit b complex which is good for the nervous system. I still get many symptoms but they are a lot milder than they used to be and i am learning to live with them. When i get lightheaded and jittry i go and lie down for about half an hour and it subsides. I take a quick sniff of lavender oil and some rescue remedy too and this helps me a lot.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Take care
Elaine xxx

megs
28-06-04, 16:18
Hi Elaine

I go to the Dr's on average once a week. I feel reassured for a day or so then start worrying again. What worries me the most are the days when I feel weak and nauseous. This can last all day and happens on days when I don't even feel anxious. How can that happen if I'm not ill?

Megs
xxx

Meg
28-06-04, 17:05
Hi Megs

Sorry you're having such a rough time with your health anxiety .It can be very debilitating. What has your Health Visitor said about it ?

I'm going to challenge you a bit here --

How can I have days when I feel weak, lightheaded, nauseous and a bit shaky and there not be anything physically wrong with me.

If you like, Yes, there is something wrong with you - your nervous system is stuck on red alert and you have an anxiety disorder.

Liz explained the origins of your symptoms and just about everyone on this board will have experienced them too.

weak and nauseous - Anyone at 12 weeks post partum could feel weak and the nausea is likely to be from excess gas being produced in the stomach .

You say you're fearful of a terminal illness . What symptoms/evidence do you have that in any way point to this diagnosis ?

It is statistically unusual for a healthy 24 yr old to have an illness such as you're describing- despite what you may read and hear in the media. Were you triggerred by a story you heard - when did this start for you ?

lainey - well done for managing to reduce the symptoms

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

megs
28-06-04, 18:08
Meg

I think I've been becoming more anxious over the last five years. I was in a bad relationship with a guy who mentally and physically abused me. He also abused my son when he was only a few weeks old. I didn't hang around after that and left him but then I endured several months of him threatening to kill me. He even broke into my mum's house once cos he thought I was hiding from him.

I'm now with another guy who is the complete opposite and treats me really well. I don't feel scared of my ex anymore which I think might be why my fears have gone to something else (my health). This started when I was about 8 months pregnant and started gettin funny feelings in my head every day. I was convinced I had a brain tumor cos I've never really suffered with headaches or anything. Anyway I had an MRI scan and results were normal. Conclusion was tension headaches. But I didn't believe the results at first and when I finally did I just moved on to something else, e.g indigestion, must have stomach cancer. I've been like this just about every day for the last three months.

Sorry to have gone on.

Megs