PDA

View Full Version : cognitive behaviour therapy

chesta
08-05-13, 19:47
hi, just wondering if anyone has had cognitive behaviour therapy and wht are your thoughts of it ? :)

Snoodlester
08-05-13, 19:57
I'm still on the waiting list for CBT, so I don't know yet!

almamatters
08-05-13, 20:01
I had CBT 8 years ago and thought it was a great help. I saw a councillor one to one for 8 sessions (the waiting list was not that long at that time probably about 6 weeks) . I enjoyed talking about my worries and getting a logical response to help deal with them. I was referred for GAD, HA and mild OCD. My confidence levels had improved by the end of the 8 sessions and I did manage to break a few of my OCD rituals. My HA is still bad though. Hope it goes well for you if you go ahead with it.

healthanxietygirl
09-05-13, 19:00
I had CBT 8 years ago and thought it was a great help. I saw a councillor one to one for 8 sessions (the waiting list was not that long at that time probably about 6 weeks) . I enjoyed talking about my worries and getting a logical response to help deal with them. I was referred for GAD, HA and mild OCD. My confidence levels had improved by the end of the 8 sessions and I did manage to break a few of my OCD rituals. My HA is still bad though. Hope it goes well for you if you go ahead with it.

What sort of things do you do at CBT...? im hoping to start soon

Tessar
09-05-13, 22:00
Hello. Just to say I did CBT about 10yrs go and still use the skills everyday. I will come back again tomorrow and post some more info about it. I always recommend it to people as I found it so ery beneficial. It turned my life around.

Moley
09-05-13, 23:06
I am under going CBT at the moment I am finding it very helpful. I have been going since September last year which is very long time compared to normal, but this is due to me suffering from severe depression aswell as anxiety. when my mood is low we just talk. when I am not so bad we do lots of challenges to help me see that things are not as bad as I think. I am finding that my anxieties are not so bad and I am managing to do more things than I ever have been able to do. Without the help of my therapist I would never have been able to do these things. Me personally I am trying to find the right medication to control the depression so that I can fight my anxieties back to the normal level so that I can deal with sorting out my depression.

Hope this helps

Tessar
10-05-13, 10:23
Moley, that sounds like a really good relationship you have with your therapist. It's such a good way to approach things because you are getting support along with tasks that will help you recover. In fact, more than just recover, if It's anything like it was for me, you will be more confident from the whole experience & able to reflect much better on life & what it throws at you. Hopefully too you can try a few things that you never thought you would manage in life - that's how it panned out for me. All in good time though because it does take time.
The things I am working on at the moment are going very slowly but that's because I'm trying to change negative beliefs I've had since childhood. At the same time I am trying some scary things too! But as I said, all in good time!!

up a ladder
12-05-13, 08:31
I went through a course when I was at my absolute worse and without a doubt it helped me.

shotokansho
12-05-13, 13:55
I've also had CBT, unfortunatley the waiting lists are long, I was lucky my psychiatrist rushed mine through as I was very ill with my mental health at the time. I did find it very helpful, but if your looking for things that have happened in the past it may not be the right route for you as CBT focuses on the here and now.
I have recently finished a course of CAT (cognital anaylatic therapy) and I found that more helpful because it took me back to my past and helped me to dead with things that have happened to me.

Tessar
12-05-13, 17:46
That's interesting because when I did CBT, it covered my past and how that affects my present and the CBT skills enabled me to cope better.

Edie
12-05-13, 17:59
I did some CBT with a therapist about 5 years ago. It helped me loads, gave me coping skills. It really does seem to help so many people, so I would recommend you give it a try!

klausrothschild
12-05-13, 23:47
had my very first CBT session today, unfortunately due to travelling I have to put it off a while longer before I do it properly :) already feel a bit better

Tessar
13-05-13, 09:34
that's excellent..... dont put it off altogether though because it will help you even more than it has already...