PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety issues & Diazepam - Please can you advise me?

Mr Average
09-05-13, 12:19
Hello everyone. If it's okay, I could really use the benefit of your experiences, wisdom and naturally caring natures. I’m feeling _very_ down and alone with this….

My partner has been suffering from anxiety over the last few weeks, for the first time. Although she is a long term depression sufferer, in the last year she has been totally free of all meds for depression so these latest symptoms have come almost out of the blue, so to say. Anyway, mid last week she was prescribed two anti-depressants [60mg Prozac/day & 15mg Mirtazapine/day] for low mood and long term anxiety management. All well and good. Or not…. The anxiety kept ramping up and she ended up having a severe panic attack and emergency doctor call out on Saturday afternoon. She was in a truly SHIT state; crying, shaking, wishing she wasn’t here etc etc and it went on for hours….. to be honest I am a little traumatised myself by what happened... The emergency doctor advised that the Prozac had probably caused a bad reaction, increasing her anxiety, and this is what potentially caused the attack. He prescribed that she reduced the Prozac to 20mg /day, continue with the Mirtazapine and also prescribed 9x2mg Diazepam [one to be taken 3 times a day for three days]. This would help her till she could get to our GP after the bank-holiday weekend.

Our GP had a long chat with her on Tuesday morning, stopped the prozac, prescribed Sertraline, continue with the Mirtazapine and she was also prescribed 28 x 2mg Diazepam with a take one three times a day instruction. The doctor has suggested that as the Sertraline kicks in over the next few weeks she will need the Diazepam less and less. My partner is currently finding that 2 x 2mg a day is actually enough to greatly reduce the symptoms and it is really making the difference to her anxiety & agitation symptoms. Here’s the thing, I have read countless horror stories about Benzodiazepines, including Diazepam, and I am aware that the potential for withdrawals/addiction is horrendous. I am worried that all we are doing now is suppressing symptoms that will come back later and possibly much worse. I’m scared for her and my little family [we have three young children] and worrying incessantly about what we will do if she does not bounce back? I’m not sleeping right now, feel tearful in the office and am struggling to concentrate. As you can imagine, I could really use any advice/encouragement that you can share with this troubled soul.

Her current situation is as follows…. She wakes up every morning very nervous, has extreme agitation and then as the day goes on she gradually improves till evening time where she seems to be almost ok. But is this just the diazepam doing it’s thing? We are going to get her some free CBT therapy which will either be a series of telephone counselling sessions or, if she needs it, 13 x face to face sessions, which I hope will help.

So, today....I got up this morning and left her sleeping, so that I could sort the kids out for school and then get to the office. As I had not heard from her until just a moment ago, I was quietly hopeful that she was having a better morning than recently. But, she has just called me at work as she has only just woken up and is feeling lots of anxiety and agitation occurring at the same time. She was very tearful on the phone and upset and it has taken me back a bit. I know I should be able to be a rock for her, but it’s honestly like a punch in the gut when I hear her upset like that. I also know that I will spend the next few hours worrying when I really need to concentrate on what I’m doing here. DEEP BREATHS….. It’s silly really, because we had a nice evening last night I was hoping things might be better today but they’re not. Maybe I should expect the worst and hope for the best, no painful surprises that way.

So, her dad is going to come and pick her up now and take her over to his place to relax and spend time with her little nephew who is also there. Thinking about it, I’m wondering if she should have maybe taken a diazepam earlier this morning as she has not even had one when she called me. I’m thinking the Sertraline will probably increase her anxiety like the prozac did although it should fade in due course.

I wish she was okay and not hurting.

I don’t know. I feel lost, maybe I’m over blowing this but…well, I don’t know

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

kittikat
09-05-13, 12:49
Firstly, let me say I am so sorry that your wife is going through this terrible ordeal. It will be quite traumatic for you to see as a non sufferer, but what a kind and supportive husband you are...she is very lucky to have that support from you.

It is very normal to go through periods of heightened anxiety during the start up of antidepressants. This can last anywhere from a couple of weeks to a month or more. But it WILL get easier for her. GP's often prescribe diazepam to relieve the start up side effects of the anti d's and they can be really helpful in reducing anxiety and side effects.

I have been on Diazepam daily for over a year now, I was on 15mg a day at my worst and I tried various anti d's which just made me worse so I couldn't take them. Since finding the right anti d, (I have been on this now for around 9 months) my anxiety is significantly reduced and the side effects have been minimal. I have very slowly reduced my diazepam doseage as I have felt better and I am currently down to 7mg a day.

Provided that your wife follows the GP's advice, I feel sure that the benefits of Diaz will outweigh all the negative issues surrounding it. It really was a wonder drug for me and was always my intention to reduce once I felt that my anxiety was more manageable.

When your wife comes off the diazepam, it should be a slow reduction, and she should be fine doing it this way. Talk to her GP about any concerns you may have to help put your mind at ease too.

I hope she gets the relief she needs and that it helps you to know she will get there. It certainly wont happen overnight and there will be ups & downs, but with your support, medication and therapy, you are both doing all the right things to help her move forward in her recovery.

I hope this helps a little. I wish your wife well, I know how frightening it is but it doesn't have to be like this, they are just negative thoughts and feelings that spiral out of control. Once you 'learn' how to deal with the fear, it does become easier to manage, and to be honest the worst thing she can do is fight against it. I know that is easier said than done, but she will learn how to manage the symptoms better in time. All you can do is be there for her and reassure her when she needs support, and you seem to be doing a brilliant job of that now.

Kitti :)

Annie0904
09-05-13, 12:55
It is lovely she has such a caring, supportive husband :) Prozac didn't work for me either and mad me worse after just taking one. The other meds do take a while to kick in and this is probably why the doctor has also prescribed Diazepam to help through the first few weeks. I was prescribed the same dose. I am sure that in a few weeks she will start to feel the benefit of the meds and will improve.In the mean time just keep on being there to support her. I know my husband says he feels helpless when I am in such a state but honestly just knowing he is there for me helps me to feel better.

Caramel
09-05-13, 14:41
Hi Mr Average,

First of all, I just wanted to say what a wonderful person you are - you are being her rock, even though you may not feel like it right now and are doing all the right things. I went through something very similar a couple of weeks back (with myself as the one with the anxiety) and was prescribed Prozac and Diazepam to help me stay calm. Fortunately, I haven't had a severe reaction to Prozac as your wife did, but you did the right thing in seeking help and changing the meds.

Please don't worry about the Diazepam. I too was prescribed 2mg doses and it is an extremely low dose, so the chances of your wife becoming addicted are very minimal. I actually find that 1 mg is enough for me! I have only taken a couple here and there when things have been really bad but have had no problem with not taking them again. It is just there as a support to get her (and yourself) through this awful time, but it WILL pass. I am feeling better every day, but still struggle a little in the mornings, but again, this too will pass eventually.

Of course you feel lost - my husband does a lot of the time too, but just knowing there is someone there who cares about you so much is more helpful than you will ever know.

It is very hard on partners of sufferers because of the frustration and helplessness that you feel, but things will get better. Just carry on doing what you are doing and enjoy the calm moments as and when they come. You will find over the next couple of weeks, these moments will appear more and more. Give it time, it WILL get better.

Please come back for more support if you need it - we are always here. :)

jonny
10-05-13, 09:06
Hey,

A little relapse is not uncommon but for me personally, after a year without issue, i would be hesitant to start taking the anti d's once again.
I took them for 15 years but have been without them for 5 now and feel fine. BUT i do take diazepam from time to time when i get the 'small relapse'.

Don't worry too much about the Diazepam, its a very small dose, and it is what she needs. It really is a wonder drug. The problem with anxiety is that it feeds itself so she needs these meds to break the cycle. Once she learns she can control the symptoms with it as and when required the rest of her time will most likely be worry free.

Mr Average
10-05-13, 10:40
I just wanted to sincerely thank each and everyone of you for being there for me [a stranger], offering your thoughts and kind advice, which have certainly given me some much needed perspective and food for thought. So thank you.

Yesterday morning was not a good one as she had extreme panic with agitation and briefly thought about suicide to escape the symptoms. The diazepam calmed her down as they day went on and she seemed to bounce back a little bit. This morning she decided to take a diazepam immediately upon waking to try and prevent the morning anxiety landing and I don’t know if that was a good idea or not.

Anyway, I will keep checking in if that’s okay, updating and seeking your advice where appropriate. I hope you all are well and life is being kind to you.

Thank you.

Mr A

bounceback11
10-05-13, 12:09
Hey man

Just wanted to say well done and stay strong! I've had two bad periods of anxiety in my life and was lucky to have people like you around me who helped me get through it. I just wanted to backup what others have said in that the first few weeks of new meds are always the hardest. Although diazepam should take the edge off they'll still cause some problems in the beginning. I took escitalopram for eight months and the first two weeks were crazy. Just know that being with her and being strong for her will be helping her massively and I'm sure she appreciates it.

Good luck!

Annie0904
10-05-13, 12:28
When my anxiety was at its worst I often said to my husband that I wished I could die. I would never have acted on those thoughts though. It is just so hard and frightening when you are in a constant anxious state and you feel you might be better of dead. I know it must have been very upsetting for my husband hearing me talk like that but it was more about how frustrated I was at how I was feeling and those feelings not going away. Morning anxiety is the worst and that is when mine is really bad. I find that if I sit up as soon as I wake up, put the TV on, make myself a cup of tea (or hubby makes it for me if I am home) it helps. The longer I lie in bed the worse the anxiety gets.

Caramel
10-05-13, 12:49
When my anxiety was at its worst I often said to my husband that I wished I could die. I would never have acted on those thoughts though. It is just so hard and frightening when you are in a constant anxious state and you feel you might be better of dead. I know it must have been very upsetting for my husband hearing me talk like that but it was more about how frustrated I was at how I was feeling and those feelings not going away. Morning anxiety is the worst and that is when mine is really bad. I find that if I sit up as soon as I wake up, put the TV on, make myself a cup of tea (or hubby makes it for me if I am home) it helps. The longer I lie in bed the worse the anxiety gets.

I'm very much like Annie - there are times when I wish I could go to sleep and never wake up, but as she says, I would never actually act on that. It truly is just desperation talking because you just want it to stop. At one point, I got to the stage where I was actually looking up what happens when you are sectioned, which of course would never happen either!

The mind can be a very powerful thing, both in a positive and negative sense and sometimes, it can just be overwhelming is all. :) Stick with it, things will improve.:hugs:

Mr Average
10-05-13, 15:36
I guess my real worry now is that in ten days or so she will have no Diazepam left. If the Sertraline/Mirtazapine are not relieving the anxiety by then and the GP refuses to offer more Diazepam, she could be in a very bad way indeed in short order. If this happens, what do you advise we could/should do?

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

Morning anxiety is the worst and that is when mine is really bad. I find that if I sit up as soon as I wake up, put the TV on, make myself a cup of tea (or hubby makes it for me if I am home) it helps. The longer I lie in bed the worse the anxiety gets.

Yes, that sounds like my partner. At the moment she is sleeping in bed later each morning because I think she wants to avoid the symptoms :( Perhaps I need to encourage her to develop a morning routine?

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

At one point, I got to the stage where I was actually looking up what happens when you are sectioned, which of course would never happen either!

I did wonder last weekend whether she would/should be sectioned for her own safety etc. Is it right that this is not a possible option?

violet12
10-05-13, 16:08
Hi, just wanted to say that I feel for you both! I am going through a very similar thing at the mo and being supported by my ex. I know he feels helpless a lot of the time and its a huge burden for him to carry which only adds to my distress!

Like your wife I have battled with depression for most of my life but only occasionally had bouts of anxiety. This current bout of GAD & health anxiety have really frightened me. Being aware of myself behaving in such unfamiliar ways. Being afraid of anything & everything. The negative thoughts & mind chatter and feelings of de-realisation. These are all things I have not experienced before and are very frightening. I truly thought I was losing my mind and would end up being sectioned, which of course, only adds to the cycle of fear.

Please be assured, your wife is receiving the right help and she has your support. I'm sure the GP will prescribe more diazapam if you wife acknowledges that she is aware of the addiction risk and is only using them when absolutely necessary. I also think that there is a good chance that she may be feeling some benefit from the Sertraline by then, so please try not to worry unduly!

The one piece of advice i'd like to give your wife is not to suffer in silence, as I did for too long! As soon as I admitted how I was truly feeling to my GP things changed immediately! I'd spent too long trying to hold it together when I knew inside I was falling apart.

Has your wife been given the emergency crisis team number? I found that really helpful when I was feeling desperate.

I wish you both well. Please keep us posted on her progress

Violet x

Caramel
10-05-13, 17:05
Hi,

Oh no, no, no - what I meant by that is that those are some of the really bizarre and negative thoughts that can circle around your head when you're in the throes of anxiety and panic, but none of it actually really means anything or is true. :) She isn't a danger to herself or anyone else, even though she is going through absolute hell. .xx To people on the outside, it probably looks like the person is really losing it, but honestly, all it is is fear and adrenalin hyped up to maximum levels. We aren't going mad, we are just really, really frightened.

You've done all the right things and, even though you must be finding it so difficult, all she needs is a bit of time to let things run their course and give the drugs time to work. She will still be her, just with a little bit of extra help. xx This is not permanent remember - she will get better.

I really think you would benefit from talking to someone - here are some umbers you might find particularly useful;

Anxiety Alliance are open from 10am 'til 10pm - 0845 296 7877
No Panic have the same opening hours - 0800 138 8889
SANEline is open 6pm - 11pm - 0845 767 8000

All of these have people who will know exactly what you and your wife are going through and will also be able to give you confidential impartial advice, as well as allay any fears you are having. I only suggest this because you might want to be able to have an actual physical conversation with someone as well as using this forum.

Your GP won't refuse her anything if she needs it, and it sounds like you have a good one, so don't worry about the Diazepam.

The fact is, this is just panic and it will go away. It isn't physically possible for the human body to go on like that forever and no one ever went mad or insane from having it. It cannot physically harm you and it will stop.

What is it they say? Truly mad people don't know they are mad. xxx

Annie0904
10-05-13, 22:19
Regarding sectioning, My doctor would never even consider it unless you are a real risk to yourself or others and I think it would have made me worse. My 'safe' place was my bedroom. I didn't want to be any where else.
I think a morning routine is a good idea even if it is just sitting up in bed on waking, shower and back to bed. Do you think she would join us on NMP? It may help for her to talk to others who are on the same meds and feeling the same feelings?

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

I agree with Caramel..my doctor actually said to me...you are ill, not mad! The best place is home with the security of family. It is as Caramel said just some of the daft thoughts going through our head that we are going crazy :) It is just the fear of fear!

Mr Average
13-05-13, 10:12
Your GP won't refuse her anything if she needs it, and it sounds like you have a good one, so don't worry about the Diazepam.

Thank you Caramel for your kind words and advice, it's sincerely appreciated.

I'm just worried that the GP _will_ refuse more Diazepam, the Sertraline and Mirtazapine won't have stopped the anxiety and she will be left with no way to handle/manage the breakthrough anxiety. Maybe we/she could ask for respiridone? Does anyone know if that's fast acting?

The fact is, this is just panic and it will go away. It isn't physically possible for the human body to go on like that forever and no one ever went mad or insane from having it. It cannot physically harm you and it will stop.

But will it stop? Is it possible that she could suffer from this for the rest of her life?

Lilharry
13-05-13, 11:49
It will stop, but it is hard road. It won't stop overnight. She will have moments of feeling really good, but then it might all come flooding back out of the blue. It's normal and you have to try and see it for what it is. Keep reminding her that it will pass and when she's having a bad time, try and see it as a blip. Remind her that she is doing all the right things to get better and she is taking good care of herself. Make sure you take care of yourself too and that you have a good support crew around you to share the load. Look up some relaxation techniques online, or do some yoga together - there are some great beginners yoga classes on YouTube. Buy her some essential oils and run her a bubble bath. All of theses sorts of things will give her some time out and they will be good for you too. What she is going through is really really common. You're not alone, but it is extremely hard on you. It's awesome how fantastic you're being, but you're only going to keep it up by taking care of yourself too.

Mr Average
13-05-13, 12:04
It will stop, but it is hard road. It won't stop overnight. She will have moments of feeling really good, but then it might all come flooding back out of the blue. It's normal and you have to try and see it for what it is. Keep reminding her that it will pass and when she's having a bad time, try and see it as a blip. Remind her that she is doing all the right things to get better and she is taking good care of herself.

Thank you :)

I just spoke with her and she has just got up out of bed [midday]. As per the last few days, she took a Diazepam at 7am this morning and then went back to sleep and I really don't know if that's a good idea or not. Maybe she could wake up when she wakes up and then see how she is feeling as to whether she needs one, rather than having one just in case?

Aside from the Benzo family of anti anxiety drugs, does anyone have any pointers, cautions or thoughts on what alternatives there are for this illness?

Hoping you are all ok out there.

Cheers, Mr A

Lilharry
13-05-13, 12:47
The benzos are great for fast acting sedation during a panic attack. They are perfect for what your partner is going through right now. I don't know of any other drug that works like this. I have been using alprazolam, which is similar to diazepam, for a severe bout of anxiety and they have really helped. I wouldn't see it as a long term solution though, just to get through the rough times. There is another drug that can help with a racing heart, called propranolol. It's a beta blocker and could be something to try, though it doesn't necesarrily help with anxious thoughts. It works best for people who's anxiety is brought on by rapid heart beat, shaking, sweating etc. Other than that you're into the various anti depressants, which she is already trying, but these take some time to start working and it may take time to find the right one for her. I wouldn't be too concerned with the diazepam if it is helping, just go with your doctor's advice. She's using it for what it's intended. Hang in there, things will get better, but we're talking months rather than days.

Mr Average
13-05-13, 16:04
Again, big thanks to those who are helping me. I fully appreciate that some of you will be struggling with far harder issues than I am describing, so big appreciation for tolerating my moaning and for the kindness of your support. It -is- really helping me..

Mr Average
14-05-13, 14:39
So to update.....Mrs A has only just had one diazepam, her first one today which is good. She got up with me this morning before I left for work/the school run with the kids and made me a coffee which was nice. She seemed calm and happy and things seemed a little better. However, she has just texted me to say that her mum cant collect the kids after school tomorrow and that means that Mrs A will probably need to do it herself as we have no other options.

This will be the first time in about ten days that she would do it and she is anxious about seeing people at the school and possibly having to answer questions from one or two other mums about how she is feeling etc. I really can’t get out of work tomorrow and I just know she wants me to take the afternoon off. Thing is, even if I could [which I can't] what happens the next day and the day after that? It might sound a little harsh, but my current thinking is that she may have to ‘grit her teeth’, collect the kids and then simply go home.

Annie0904
14-05-13, 15:14
I can see how hard it will be for her but yes she may have to do it. My husband works away so sometime I have to do things which I really panic about. I am not sure how old your children are or if your wife drives but could she meet them in the car or round the corner from the school so that she doesn't have to stand with the crowds?

Mr Average
14-05-13, 15:19
Thanks Annie, the youngest is 7 so she will need to collect her and then wait in the car for the other older two to walk down. My suggestion to her is that she parks early, relaxes best she can and then walks up to collect our youngest just as they are ready to let them out, thus minimising exposure etc.

Annie0904
14-05-13, 15:26
Yes I think that sounds like good idea. Once she has done it a few times it will get easier. She should take some Bach rescue remedy with her too...that is what I use. You can get it from the chemist and in the online shop on this site. It is natural and cn be taken with meds.

reenymac
14-05-13, 16:03
Hi Mr average, I don't think that the docs will just completely stop the diazepan....they will prob try and get her to cut down on them, ask your doc about hydroxine, it's an antihistimaine I take it for anxiety and I find it helps lots the doctors are often reluctant to give benzo's out because of their high addiction rate, but I thnk in the case of your wife, they will give her another prescription.

Take care Reeny

Mr Average
15-05-13, 11:08
Thank you for the Tip, Annie and for the advice, Reenymac!

Latest update---Mrs A spoke to the GP on the phone yesterday to arrange a new appointment as they only gave her 14-days of Sertraline at the last one. Apparently, the GP will sign her off work for another two weeks [means no sick pay/less money for bills but that cant be helped I guess] and will discuss her medications etc. Due to work and timing issues I _cannot_ be there with her, but we are going to go through it tonight and maybe even have her take a small list of points to raise with the Doc, if she wants/needs to.

This morning she awoke anxious again and with tightness in her chest. She seems resolved to collect the kids after school today but I'm still expecting a call saying she can't do it. For some reason, her anxiety this morning really affected me and whilst the kids were eating breakfast I hid in the kitchen for a bit as I felt like I wanted to cry. Guess the stress of this whole thing [plus my dad is terminally ill with cancer] has gotten to me.

I hope you are all well out there and life is being kind to you.

Annie0904
15-05-13, 12:33
Will your wife be able to claim statutory sick pay?
I am sorry it is starting to affect you so much, I know my husband worries about me when I am so ill but it will get better. I am much better now than I was and your wife will get better too.

Mr Average
15-05-13, 14:45
Will your wife be able to claim statutory sick pay?

Yes, I hope so.

I am sorry it is starting to affect you so much, I know my husband worries about me when I am so ill but it will get better. I am much better now than I was and your wife will get better too.

Thanks again Annie :bighug1:

Mr Average
17-05-13, 10:24
So, Mrs A went to the GP yesterday afternoon and this is what transpired;

·She has been given a referral for exercise [aerobic, swimming & weights] to help combat the anxiety [reduced rates I think]
·Her Mirtazapine is to remain at 15mg/day
·Sertraline has been increased from 100mg to 150mg/day
·She has been issued with a further 28 Diazepam with a ‘take up to three a day if necessary’ instruction and guidance that she should “only take them for 5 days out of any seven”, so perhaps miss the weekends out etc?
·She had a good chat with the Doctor and the next appointment is booked for the first week of June to check how she is doing.

Does that all sound A-OK? :unsure:

reenymac
17-05-13, 11:02
Hey Mr Average....to me sounds like a great plan and I think the fact that your wife is knowing what is going to happen to her is great,....light at the end of the tunnel :)
Take care
Reeny

Mr Average
21-05-13, 09:59
Thank you Reeny! :)

starburd
21-05-13, 21:48
Just wanted to say you are supporting our wife,
I've recently been suffering from anxiety and been prescribed diazepam, same dose as your wife......
My gp told me initially to take it up to 3x a day then after two weeks asked me to try and reduce if I could, they have been very supportive and explained drawbacks of diazepam but it works when things take turn for worse:-)
I know my husband has been lost at times over the last few months but you will get through it.....:-) :-) :-)