PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Omeprazol for anxiety stomach issues

lofwyr
09-05-13, 18:33
Hey folks, I have some stomach issues that are surely anxiety related.

The main one lately is CONSTANT hunger pangs, resulting I expect, from an excess of stomach acid. Thanks anxiety, appreciate that.

Even when I just have eaten, still hungry. I feel like I am turning into a vampire or something, and food no longer fills the void. It is hell, but I have gotten over the worry that I have stomach cancer or something, and have actually accepted that it is anxiety.

Now, to battle this, I have bought some Priolesec OTC (the non perscription kind, an American brand name for Omeprazol Magnesium ). It is 25mg a day for 14 days, and it says that it takes 1-4 days to have an effect. I just took day three's pill, so I am only part way in. The thing is, yesterday I noticed a huge relief of the hunger pang symptom for most of the day, so I thought things were working. Today, however, is terribly. I feel like I am starving, in spite of having eaten a good, solid breakfast with lean protien and good whole grain carbs. What I have eaten for years which keeps me filled until about 11 AM normally. It was like I never ate anything.

So it was a setback. I was wondering if anyone else has experience with Priolosec of drugs like it for things like this, and if they had relapses while still going through the 1-4 days of build up?

bibliophilic
09-05-13, 18:45
I used to get symptoms of like that from acid reflux; I'd also get gnawing, raw pains that would be relieved by eating something starchy. Have you tried ranitidine? It always worked better for me and you can use it in conjunction with Prilosec. Also, Tums sometimes offered some relief. And chamomile tea. :D Good luck!

lofwyr
09-05-13, 22:57
I have note. I normally have (had?) an iron stomach. No matter how nervous I got, I could eat and drink pretty much anything. But then, I am no longer 24 years old either. =-)

I will give zantac/ranitidine a shot if prilosec does not kick in better soon. I have no heart burn, but my stomach definitely is overactive with acid this past week. Drives me bonkers feeling hungry all the time.

I have also heard of charcoal tablets, anyone have any experience with them?

Magic
10-05-13, 15:57
I take zantac on prescription, as I take aspirin, and have anxiety-- they suit me fine- but I am hungry all the time. I have never tried charcoal but I heard they were like eating dog biscuits.
My husband takes omeprazole, has done for years. I wonder if it is those that has made him put weight on!!!!!