PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please... Bad Doctor

saintanselm
09-05-13, 19:55
Dear All,

I need some advice before I proceed on an issue. I suffer from GAD and have had two bouts of PTSD ( 2004 and 2006.) Its resulted in my having to take time off work. Most doctors I have seen have been really sympathetic and really good but recently I think I've had a disaster and I want to know if anyone agrees.

I had an appointment to get a new prescription with this new doctor. She saw I was on diazepan and said she wanted me off them. I replied that if she looked at her records she would see that a 28 supply sometimes lasted me three months so there was proof I used them sensibly. She was insistent so I said I'd like to see a NHS psychiatrist as it should be there call and she said she would write to them. Two days ago I got a call from her that the NHS psychiatrist couldn't help me and I should be referred to a drug abuse programme?!?!? So I replied I'd quit taking the diazepan ( I use it more of a comfort blanket) and she was like good. Then she said she wanted me back at work. I'm not joking when I say I have never met a more unfriendly or unsympathetic doctor. I am actually planning on going back to work soon but I still have very bad anxiety from time to time which leads to panic attacks at work, which are nothing nice. I thought about her phonecall and it got me really angry. She obviously wrote to the psychiatrist saying I had a prescription addiction , so they won't see me now ( even though I can prove I don't), and she's changing my medication and she's acting like a psychiatrist.

I'm going to insist on seeing the letter she sent them and, if it doesn't mention my PTSD or GAD, I wondering if I have grounds for a complaint.

Any help greatly appreciated.

M

Spot-the-frog
09-05-13, 20:20
Wow she sounds like a right cow! Is there any way you can make appointment with another doctor at the practice? You could also put your complaint in writing and send it to the Practice Manager?

I see a great doctor, but when I first had my recent problems I had to see whatever doctor was available and she was useless. I saw her twice and was not happy with her, my OH came with me and couldn't believe how rubbish she was, so vague and she even went on about my asthma (until I told her I had never had it in my life!). Luckily I just switched back to my usual doctor and he has been great.

BTW I was supposed to go back to work today after 7 weeks but had a relapse on Friday so I saw my doctor and he has signed me off til the end of the month, and has given me a phased back to work cert working 10-2pm for the whole of June, he also said to come back if I wasn't ready to go back part time. He even made an appointment himself for me to see him in 3 weeks.

Karen x

Edie
10-05-13, 08:14
She sounds like an idiot. I've had a similar experience with my GP. I've taken 28 Zoplicone sleeping tablets since June and my doctor said I was clearly addicted and refused to prescribe any more. I've had similar issues over taking a very low dose of codeine for my IBS, as recommended by the gastroenterologist, but the consultant has written to my GP now to tell him to keep prescribing it. But I'm still not allowed any sleep. My GP suggested taking extra codeine to help me sleep, but that just seems stupid.

I would try seeing a different GP at the practice. Doctors are supposed to make you feel better, not worse. I don't understand why some of them are so nasty. I hope you can find a decent one again.