PDA

View Full Version : Dizziness - any ideas?

chrismanc
09-05-13, 21:37
Hi Guys,

My first panic attack started with dizziness. I was making my way into Manchester on the train and felt dizzy and unreal. By the time I got to the station this had escalated to a full panic attack and I ended up in A&E believing I was having a heart attack. Four hours later I was home, feeling slightly embarrassed that I had called 999 and taken the services of an ambulance on a Friday night.

Since then I have had CBT therapy, 6 months of fluoxetine and done loads of reading. I haven't had a panic attack for a few months now and in general don't feel anxious. However, dizziness is the one symptom I don't seem to be able to shake off. It doesn't scare me anymore, it doesn't escalate into panic and I know it is caused by anxiety but its bloody annoying and I wish I could get rid of it or learn how to make it go away when it does come.

I frequently feel dizzy and have slightly blurred vision at work but have noticed that when I am fully absorbed or distracted it goes away (most of the time I am not fully absorbed at work - just bored - hoping to change careers starting in September)

So, I just wondered if anyone had successful beaten dizziness or at least learnt any techniques to make it go away?

I would be grateful for any ideas anyone may have.

Thanks for reading

Chris

Arnie365
10-05-13, 13:47
Hi Chris

rather than starting a new thread straight away I thought Id post on yours. When you say dizziness what is it you experience?

I have been having what i can only describe as a surge in my head, almost like a rush of chemicals or something. Not like a head rush when you stand up, I dont almost black out, its just the whooshing feeling. Sometimes it starts at the bottom of my neck and comes up and over the top of my head to my forehead. Others times it just washes over my whole brain.

I do call it dizziness as it does sometimes have a feeling that i might fall forwards or something though my actual balance isnt really affected. I thought it might be vertigo but my doc doesnt think so because I dont feel sick or actually lose my balance.

It is really frustrating. Like you, it isnt triggering a full panic attack but it does get my adrenaline rushing when it happens. Fortunately Ive had quite a bit of CBT so I dont go into panic mode but just cant get a decent explanation of what it is.

I really hate when all the doctors can say is its caused by anxiety but guess sometimes thats all they can say as there is still much to learn about the body.

chrismanc
16-05-13, 19:15
I get exactly the same feelings. It whooshes into my head and once there tends to stay for a while. It can make me feel quite weak, light headed and fatigued. Like you I call it dizzy but its not the same feeling you would get if you stood up too quickly. I sometimes feel like I could faint but know I won't so am usually able to carry on with what I am doing and just work through it. Once it's happened though the feeling tends to last for a couple of hours and can start to wear me down.
I had the feeling towards the end of work today which then made the drive home unpleasant and I feel like I had to focus twice as hard on driving which is exhausting. I suppose this makes the tension mount and the odd feeling in my head last even longer.
I know it's definitely related to anxiety as the feeling usually goes away if I have a few glasses I wine when I get home. ( I realise this is not the healthy way to sort anxiety but it works for me!)

Horace
21-05-13, 23:13
I get this too.

I feel like my head is full of cotton wool and I feel wobbly on my feet! I went to a chiropractor because my neck was so tense. He has mobilised my neck and it has made a difference. When you have anxiety your muscles tense up which can restrict blood vessels and nerves. Since I can move my neck properly it's helped me to do relaxation exercises.