PDA

View Full Version : Can't sleep - anxious about deep vein thrombosis/PE! :(

eastofeden
10-05-13, 02:06
I thought my health anxiety was getting better but recently it's taken a downward turn.

My calf has been getting shooting pains and crampy sensations and I get surges of pain in my foot, heel and thigh that make me jump out of my skin!

I've had leg pain a million times before but this has lasted 9 days and seems to be worsening. When I'm walking around I'm okay but kneeling or sitting in a chair that compresses my thigh gives me this aching jolt. I'm not exaggerating and have been taking strong painkillers and it still hurts :(

It gets bad at night too so I'm scared to sleep. I've never felt this pain before. It feels like there's some kind of blockage or twist in my vein. It goes everywhere in my leg in different spots.

Has anyone experienced a dvt before? What were your symptoms?

I've seen 3 different drs but all said no swelling so it can't be dvt. But i heard some people are asymptomatic?

Also my chest is starting to hurt though that could be anxiety.

I had a doppler of the thigh 3 weeks ago which was clear (though d dimer was elevated).
Could a clot have developed in that time? I don't want to wait until things get worse. It's more painful everyday. Bending and standing on toes hurts too.

I'm 20 tomorrow. I don't take the pill or anything though I do work 8 hours at a computer everyday. Oh and I just found out the hospital doesn't do scans until next Tuesday. Ugh. My dr is sick of me and I'm afraid to go back. I'm so nervous. What do you think this is?

cbornet
10-05-13, 03:07
Hi there. Right off the bat I can see that you are 20, like myself. Effectively your chance of DVT/PE are pretty much zero. Also, the fact there is no swelling at all or redness in the area means it is definitely not DVT, in addition to the fact that you said it is all over your leg. I think it is a musculoskeletal issue myself. Or just plain anxiety. It's amazing all the pain and twinges and things that we can literally make ourself feel because we are so focused on it. Try not to worry. It is definitely not DVT! Promise you that :)

eastofeden
10-05-13, 04:37
Hi there. Right off the bat I can see that you are 20, like myself. Effectively your chance of DVT/PE are pretty much zero. Also, the fact there is no swelling at all or redness in the area means it is definitely not DVT, in addition to the fact that you said it is all over your leg. I think it is a musculoskeletal issue myself. Or just plain anxiety. It's amazing all the pain and twinges and things that we can literally make ourself feel because we are so focused on it. Try not to worry. It is definitely not DVT! Promise you that :)

Thank you, your words are reassuring to me. I've had 3 doctors examine my leg and one said it might be nerve pain. It does sound a lot like sciatica since I get it in my butt though I am still a little concerned. I'm trying to keep moving and not sit still for too long. Its just strange how it doesn't seem to be getting better. The dr said the chances of a clot developing in that timeframe after being checked over are tiny but there's still this nagging doubt in my head. I read about girls who have suffered the same thing and were ignored by their Dr and it turned out to be DVT even though the nurses were adamant it was nothing. Almost all of these young girls were on the pill but then I'llm not exactly a health nut myself. I could lose some pounds. If it doesn't feel better by Monday I'll go again but I just wish they'd do a full ultrasound so I could sleep a little better. This week has seem a nightmare of anxiety just when I thought I was making progress! Thank again.

cbornet
10-05-13, 04:42
I know exactly what you mean. I seem to have relapses just when I think I'm getting better. But yeah I really wouldn't stress about this. You don't know the history behind those two cases, and it could run in their family, they could have other health conditions, etc. Thats the things these articles don't really tell you! haha