PDA

View Full Version : Why do people want to reduce/come of medication?

Snoodlester
11-05-13, 19:31
I've seen a lot of posts recently about people wanting to reduce their medication and even come off it for good. I'm just wondering why? Surely if it gets to the point where 'if it's not broken, don't fix it?' If someone had a heart condition that needed medication, surely they'd take it without question?
Just wondering...

nomorepanic
11-05-13, 19:36
I always felt that the medication changed me and I wasn't myself so that is why I stopped it.

I didn't like what I thought it was doing to my brain!

Edie
11-05-13, 20:00
I think for some there is a stigma about being "on medication," and they don't want to take it any longer than necessary.

The other issue I can think of is side effects that may be difficult to tolerate. Some people do just fine and don't get many side effects, and in that case I can see the sense in staying on the medication as long as it helps. But for others, the side effects may be very severe. Something like extreme drowsiness may be tolerable instead of crippling anxiety/depression, but one you start feeling mentally better may just feel like a further barrier.

For me, I don't take any medication directly for my anxiety/depression as I have an unusual reaction to antidepressants and end up severely depressed. The only thing I take now is occasional sleeping pills, as when my insomnia gets really out of control and when I am sleep-deprived I find it hard to function and keep my thoughts under control.

But I do agree with you about, "if it's not broken, don't fix it." If the meds are working well and not causing you troublesome side effects, it's probably best to stay on them!

jayjoe18
12-05-13, 13:33
Great post! I always wonder this myself, someone once said to me if you had a physical health condition you wouldn't think twice about taking some medication to help it, so why isn't it the same with mental health.

Rennie1989
12-05-13, 13:45
Medication just made me 'artificially happy' and no SSRI worked for me. Tbh I can't understand why people want to stay on medication, it's a lot better and healthier (physically AND for the mind) that people control their anxiety and depression without medication. Changing simply things in your day-to-day lives, like spending more time in the sun or cutting out caffeine can work wonders on mental health.

I am not saying that people should not be on medication as it really helps people to take control again but it should never be the long-term answer.

BubblegumUK
12-05-13, 14:53
I was on some kind of psych med for 11 years. Since coming off mine last year the problem i was prescribed them for (low moods/depression, mood swings) has improved massively, as has my motivation, energy levels and i feel more stable than i ever have in the 11 years i was on them.

My anxieties have increased, but one of the reasons my health anxiety has increased is because of a side effect brought on by the medication!

I have been told by the GP many times to take something, but after so long relying on chemicals i'd rather go without.
Yes its more tough and i will have a lot of anxieties about things, but i'd feel a greater sense of achievement dealing with it naturally and knowing that when my anxieties have gone, it will be because of my own doing, not medication.

I don't believe their is anything wrong with taking medication, sometimes it can be very helpful, especially when things get very tough. I just think its important not to rely on them and feel you need them forever because unlike certain physical health conditions, certain mental health conditions like anxiety can be treated without, it can just be very tough.

I'm pleased i came off mine, they're not for me, but everybody, and everybody's situation is different.

almamatters
12-05-13, 15:31
Weight gain, scared of becoming totally reliant on them, want to be naturally calm and happy.