PDA

View Full Version : How did you feel starting Mirtazapine?

Bonnibelle
12-05-13, 12:32
I took 7.5mg last night. I'm only 5ft and 7 stone so thought i'd start as low as I could, plus i've an awful anxiety about starting new meds.

I felt drowsy within 40 minutes. I took it a little early at 7.30pm, I fought the tiredness and didn't nod off until around 11pm, I slept until 4.20am then I lay awake until gone 5.30, then I dozed lightly until 7am ish.

Today I feel awful, really tired, eyes look so tired, woozy foggy head and weak feeling in my limbs. When I walk around I feel like I need to lie down as totally drained. Normal way to feel?

I'm eating, very hungry today, drinking plenty so keeping my energy up. My husband is letting me rest up and he's taking over with the children so at east I can just have a restful day.

I've had a few hard palpitations which I guess Is anxiety related starting new meds. It's been a long month deciding whether to start them.i had a bad experience bad in January to Dosulepin, it caused my heart to race and I ended up in an ambulance so it's left me scared of heart related things and new medications. GP told me Mirtazapine is safe and causes no affects on the heart.

I just hope this is a normal way to feel and it will ease off.

Elen
12-05-13, 12:41
Hi Pearl

The feeling sleepy around half an hour after taking mirt is totally normal. I found that I was best taking it just before bedtime.

I am sure that once you get into a routine your other symptoms will ease.

Mirt is one of the easiest AD as far as side effects go so I would try not to worry too much about that.

Good luck

Elen

Tinalou
12-05-13, 12:43
Hi Pearl I was very scared to start on Mirt as I took one tablet years ago a d it totally knocked me out. When the GP suggested I try it again I was very reluctant but as my depression was so bad and I was't sleeping I gave it another try. I started on 15 mg and the sedating effects get less each day. I ha
Be a very understanding husband who took time off work to be with me as I was so worked up about starting them. I have to say they help me sleep, helped my anxiety and helped reduce my depression. I'm now on 30mg. I HAVE out about 1 stone on and still don't feel my old self, I am normally quite bubbly, BUT I don't feel as dreadful as I did 4 months ago.

Bonnibelle
12-05-13, 13:31
Thank you both.

I just can't believe how groggy I feel, waking about isn't nice today, feel so weak and my head is so tired and wobbly:( I just hope it is normal to feel so dizzy and yuk. I'm not liking it so far;)

Snoodlester
12-05-13, 14:07
I was the same, but I wasn't sure if it was starting Mirt or stopping Citalopram. When I got my new prescription my doctor told me to skip Cit the next day and take Mirt at night. I felt awful for quite a while and I think I'm only now starting to feel better. Sleep is my biggest problem, and it hasn't helped with that. I've been reading Claire Weekes' book recently and wish I had months ago! I tried to behave 'normally' and keep up my usual routines. I felt sleepy during the day, but told myself I couldn't lie down or go to sleep, I had to save it up for the night - but I think having rest when you need it is a good thing. It's great you've got an understanding husband.

Bonnibelle
12-05-13, 14:10
Thanks Snood.

I'm hoping these affects wear off. I should try and carry on as normal but my fear of fainting is stopping me:( I feel very woozy and groggy.

Tinalou
12-05-13, 14:32
The effects do wear off honestly. I drive now which I couldn't have done for the first week. I am also back at work now. I slept for about 12 hours after the 1st dose and went back to bed in the afternoon for 3 hours!

Bonnibelle
12-05-13, 14:39
That's how i feel Tina, like I could sleep now. I daren't drive like this so hubby is going to take the children to school tomorrow. X

Tinalou
12-05-13, 16:57
I just gave in and slept. I hadn't had a decent nights sleep for a couple of months so sleeping right through the night was a pleasant change. After being on Mirtazapine for 4 days I managed a walk up to Mam Tor in Derbyshire, the walk was about 3 hours long and up hill for half of it. xx

Bonnibelle
12-05-13, 17:08
I'm worrying as be only taken half a tablet, so I've had 7.5mg, worried I should have taken the 15 if side effects are worse at lower doses.

I still feel groggy and its been 22 hours since I took the tablet, weak in my legs and just generally spaced out. It's like when I move my head it takes a while for the rest of my head to catch up, lol! If that makes sense;)

Snoodlester
12-05-13, 17:27
That's how I felt - really spaced out. Every time I told my GP that I didn't feel any better she just upped my dose and said give it time! I'm now on 45mg and although the depression's lifted I've got really bad negative thoughts and OCD. As I'm starting to feel better I'm just hoping this will go away. I've been waiting for cbt since feb too. I've just taken the meds as I assume the GP knows what she's doing

Tinalou
12-05-13, 17:34
I started on 15mg and I felt spaced out and dizzy.

When I tried it previously about 6/7 years ago I only took one tablet and could still feel the effects the day after. At the time I was a single mum and had to stop taking it as I had to be able to run my daughter to school, go shopping etc.. I can't remember what I switched to. This time around I have the support of my lovely hubby and my daughter is grown up :).

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:29 ----------

Snoodlester did the depression only lift at 45mg? I'm not anxious any more and my deep depression has gone but I still don't feel back to normal. I don't feel happy or excited about anything. I've been on 15mg for 4 weeks, then 30mg for around 6weeks.

Bonnibelle
12-05-13, 17:46
I'm just too scared to start at 15:( I'm seeing my GP a week tomorrow to discuss the meds. He told me to start at 15 but I didn't feel I could, I was scared.

I just hope the side effects aren't worse at 7.5.

Snoodlester
12-05-13, 17:51
I suppose it's hard to say - I've been taking it since end of feb and the GP and other people I've spoken to say to give it time. I was on 15mg for 2 weeks, then 30mg for about a month before going up to 45mg. So i don't know if it's the dose or time. But my mood crashed again just over a week ago probably due to pms but the doc just said this is to be expected for someone who's anxious but I can't go through that every month - it really felt like I was back to square one. But I have started to feel better these last couple of days - its just the thoughts I can't shift. I've questioned whether mert's right fir me but the GP just ignores it every time I mention it

Tinalou
12-05-13, 18:03
My GP said I don't have to take it if I don't want too!! Because I'm better than I was she suggests I stay on it for now but while I feel better than I was I still don't feel "right". I sadly haven't found my GPs that good for depression. But reading the forums that isn't unusual.

Snoodlester
12-05-13, 18:15
My GP just keeps on about cbt - like the meds are just keeping me going until then, but I've been waiting since February! I've been trying the online cbt but I really need to talk to someone about it as I don't seem to be able to alter my thoughts on my own. I was made redundant in April so I'm wary of paying for therapy in case it doesn't work as its all so expensive and there are no guarantees

Tinalou
12-05-13, 18:29
I pay for therapy at the moment, not CBT though. I have also asked my GP to refer me to my local Mental Health team to see if I can get some help like CBT,that was last week so early days. I have had CBT in the past but I felt the person I saw was probably newly qualified or a trainee and it was not that good. At least if you pay you can be choosey! The lady I see is good helping me see behaviours that aren't helpful.

Bonnibelle
12-05-13, 19:40
I've paid privately to have a counsellor. The NHS said despite me having PTSD and agoraphobia, having 3 children this was urgent I got better, I'd still be stuck on a 12 month waiting list.

My hubby has to coke with me as I'm too scared to go alone, damn agoraphobia.

I just hope at 7.5 I'm not experiencing just side effects and no benefits x

Snoodlester
12-05-13, 19:42
That's what I'm worried about. I've had 2 bouts of suicidal thoughts this year, but still I'm told 'you have to wait your turn'. It appears nothing's urgent when it comes to the NHS

Tinalou
12-05-13, 20:08
I don't understand my GPs reluctance to refer me when the therapist I see privately who also works for the NHS has told me there are plenty of psychologists in my area. I think it comes down to money.Do GP get charged when they refer you?

Snoodlester
12-05-13, 20:58
I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me. Personally my GP's never referred me to anything it's all self referral.

Tinalou
12-05-13, 21:21
How do you self refer? I was under the impression, in my area anyway your GP has to refer you?

Snoodlester
12-05-13, 21:25
My gp's given me leaflets and said you have to call them and refer yourself. Where are you?

Tinalou
12-05-13, 21:34
My gp's given me leaflets and said you have to call them and refer yourself. Where are you?
Bolton near Manchester.

Bonnibelle
12-05-13, 21:38
Yes they do, it costs the to refer you. My gp once threw iron tablets at me as he said they cost pence and a blood test costs £50. The NHS don't he'll at all. I can't work as I can't leave my house, yet I have to find £120 a month to have counseling.

Snoodlester
12-05-13, 21:43
Ah I'm in Bristol so that's no good to you. When I went on the one-day course though the nhs people said they have very little money and are over subscribed. They produced a relaxation cd which they couldn't afford to give away - if we wanted one it was £1!

Bonnibelle
12-05-13, 21:49
I've just had my 2nd dose, so far I'm not as sedated as last night. Last night I was heavily sedated within 30-40 minutes, I took it over an hour ago now. Hope that's a good sign.

Tinalou
12-05-13, 21:54
In my area there are charities that offer counselling so you can "self refer"to them. However what worries me is how good it the counselling going to be? You may get a trainee. I wanted to try a therapy (as reccomended in NICE guidelines) called Mindfulness Cognitive Behaviour Therapy but it isn't offered in my area.I found out the neighbouring NHS authority does it and my GP could refer me but its £350. She wouldn't even look at the info I took with me and only said she would refer me to our PCT when I pressed her for "something". What really annoys me is what NICE recommend and what really happens in the Dr. surgeries around the UK. I feel most GPs really don't have a clue or just don't want to know.

Snoodlester
12-05-13, 21:55
That does seem a good sign :)

Tinalou
12-05-13, 21:56
It is a good sign Pearl. It will lessen each day x

Bonnibelle
12-05-13, 22:06
Would it really lessen on a second dose? Really hope I feel less sedated tomorrow than I did today. Today has been horrible, totally exhausted, spaced out and weak in my legs.

Snoodlester
12-05-13, 22:10
I think you're right Tina. I noticed at my parents GP surgery they have their photos and particular interests - not one said mental health. So I don't think they do really understand or dare I say care

Tinalou
12-05-13, 22:25
It did for me. As I said earlier today I was VERY reluctant to take it as I found it so sedating when I tried it before. I decided to bite the bullet and give it a fair crack of the whip, a bit of feel the fear and do it anyway. Why not give it a week then you will know if the sedating effects will become less for you?

Mirtazapine has not been the solution I hoped it would but I have been abl to return to work and I don't have the horrendous anxiety I was having. I was lying awake at night with my heart banging in my chestand crying every day. Now I take a Mirt and sleep right through.

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

Snood -I wish GPs gave their areas of interest in medicine. You could look around your area and go to a suitable GP. I have 5 GPs in my practice and none are brilliant in this area. Ironically one GP that used to work there was brilliant and she committed suicide (some years ago).I think most GPs are either not interested or find it uncomfortable dealing with an emotional patient.

Bonnibelle
13-05-13, 09:41
I slept well. I got 8.5 hours, woke briefly twice, and I dreamt of One Direction? I'm old enough to be their Mother!;)

Hoping I don't feel as drowsy and weak today so shall see how I go, first challenge, the school run!

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 ----------

I actually feel awful again:(( I just drove my children to school, I found it hard, very very drowsy. I'm now home, fit for nothing lying on my bed. Will this drowsiness get any easier?

I've rung the gp and he's calling me back today. I need to ask if this is normal and if its ok at 7.5 or will it be more sedating as I heard the lower the dose the worse the sedation is:( worrying, as I've 3 children, I can't function like this x

Tufty
13-05-13, 11:00
Hello Pearl,

I started Mirtazapine 4 weeks ago and it is the 10th medication I have tried, 5 in the past year, most of which led to horrible side effects which has left me with a fear of psychotropic mediation. Before starting the Mirtazapine I was very anxious after having a rough time on Sertraline and I was relieved to be taking a drug that would make me drowsy! I started on 15mg and I wasn't able to drive the next day due to the drowsiness but since then I have been able to drive although early mornings would be tricky.

I take mine at 6pm as it doesn't always make me sleepy immediately but by taking at this time I'm OK by 9am the following day. I sleep well every night, initially I ate a little more and have put on half a stone but I think that's more to do with the lack of exercise due to the sedation rather than the eating. The day time sedation is variable for me, some days I wake up at 7, it takes me a little longer than normal to get going but I can go about my day feeling OK yet other days I cannot wake up, a couple of days last week I slept until 10am and then had a few more hours in the afternoon and slept 12 hours at night! After the first 3 days the daytime sedation was minimal, once I am up and dressed I don't feel drugged up but as mentioned I can feel tired.

I increased my dose to 22.5mg last week as I was fed up of sleeping so much and read that 30mg is the therapeutic dose for depression which I now have as the anxiety has changed my life so much. I felt more alert earlier the following days but unfortunately started with increased anxiety which resulted in a panic attack on Saturday so I think there's proof that the lower doses are more sedating than the higher ones, as I hadn't felt too anxious in the first 3 weeks of taking them. So I have decreased the dose again temporarily, I had a lot going on at the weekend which contributed to the anxiety but I will try the increase again when I can have a few quiet days.

I know it's difficult to cope with the drowsiness when you have a family to care of, luckily my children are teenagers and their school is within walking distance, but in order to get better you need to think in the short term. The drowsiness is temporary and it's probably what you need at the moment. I know in the first week all I planned to do everyday was make sure there was food in the house and clean clothes for everyone to wear, walk the dog, cook a meal and try to spend a few minutes with the children, somedays this was a struggle but at other times I could do more. There's always so much to do with a family and home but you need to focus on getting you better and the temporary drowsiness is a message to watch some daytime TV, sleep lots and do the minimum possible. I explained to my family what was happening and what to expect and that took the pressure off me too.

As for 7.5mg dose, I'm not sure that starting that low will help with the side effects it may be actually making the dopiness worse, would you consider taking 15mg? You will feel drowsy the next day but if you plan for your husband to sort the kids out by the 2nd day you will hopefully be feeling less sedated.
Take care
Sam

Bonnibelle
13-05-13, 12:52
Thank you Sam, your reply has been very helpful.

I'm waiting for my GP to call about my dose. I'm sure he will say I need the 15. I'm just scared I may feel worse on 15? The only side effect I have now is the exhaustion, I'm scared going to 15 I may get hallucinations etc....

Starting this want easy, I found it a tough decision as I've awful anxiety about taking meds after 2 bad experiences, that's why I started so low.

I'm tonight for anxiety, agoraphobia and PTSD, I guess I have become a abit depressed too, who wouldn't in my shoes so I hope the meds help it all but the worst for me I the anxiety when I go out, I hope it can help that.

---------- Post added at 12:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

I spoke to my GP, he said 7.5mg won't be more sedating at all. To carry on at this dose for a week and to see him next Monday to review. He said the sedation is normal but it eases with time, I hope so.

Bonnibelle
13-05-13, 19:19
I'm in floods of tears, I'm scared stiff the meds are causing panic attacks. I suffered from anxiety attacks before, shakes, fast heart... But I was just in the kitchen making tea, feeling rough as all day I've felt drugged up and woozy but had to get up and do tea. Suddenly had anxiety feeling in my tummy, it flipped, raced up to my throat, throat felt hot and tight and proper panic feeling hit so I guess it was a proper panic attack:(((( I'm now scared stiff the mirtazapine is causing them. I don't feel I've control as I'm not used to that kind of attack:( Sat on my bed crying and scared. Xx

Snoodlester
13-05-13, 19:36
I was like this too at the beginning, but it has got better. Could your GP perhaps give you some Diazapam or other mild sedative to get through the start up? Looking back now, I really wish my doctor had suggested this to me, but she didn't - I feel like I had to go through it the hard way and it's taken me longer to get the benefits.

I've been going through CBT4PANIC again since my last blip. It's hard, but try and remember these are just symptoms and that they're sending misleading information to your brain - it's a FALSE ALARM. I'm trying to use this as my mantra, feeling in tummy - false alarm, feeling hot - false alarm. I'm still struggling with it, but I'm hoping this will help tell my brain to stop misreading the symptoms.

x

Bonnibelle
13-05-13, 19:44
You had panic attacks at the beginning?:( I really can't carry on if its what mirtazapine does:((( I'm scared now:(

Snoodlester
13-05-13, 19:48
No, I've always had them. You've probably heightened your senses to every little sensation because you're so worried about taking the medication, and you're misinterpreting them. Really do take a look at CBT4PANIC it will help you understand what's going on. Don't be scared xx

Bonnibelle
13-05-13, 19:49
How long did you feel like this? Did it hit from early on? I've only taken 2. X

Snoodlester
13-05-13, 19:54
I was in such a bad place I think I was just maintaining my anxiety through my symptoms, so it took a bit of time. I've been waiting for CBT on the NHS and if I had this, I think I would have got through it quicker as I would have had a better understanding - I'm still waiting, but I'm finding the online course helpful.

My anxiety is sleeping, or rather lack of it, and that's been maintained by my thoughts. I expect you're maintaining yours by worrying about taking the tablets. Easier said than done, but try and remember that they are there to help you, and when you start to relax and accept it, it will get better. x

Bonnibelle
13-05-13, 20:31
Thank you Snoodlester.

So you'd not give up if your anxiety felt worse suddenly? My husband and friend have both said its unlikely after only 2 doses and at 7.5mg to have caused me to feel like that tonight. I hope not:(

It's time to take it and I'm too worried to. My hubby says no rush but I feel I need to so its not too late in the day tomorrow before the grogginess goes.

I feel so unsure:((( I wasn't getting that closing throat feeling when anxious before:( I'm worrying the mirtazapine is making it change and I won't be able to control the attacks:(

Snoodlester
13-05-13, 20:42
No, don't give up. My anxiety seemed to keep evolving, I suddenly noticed things I hadn't seen/felt before. I can't say the medicine didn't do that, but I now think it's probably just being so down that makes us feel like this. I've also been reading Dr Claire Weekes' books - she talks about our nerves being in a 'sensitized' state, and because of this the smallest thing can trigger a panic.
Stay strong - you can do this x

Bonnibelle
13-05-13, 21:46
Thank you.i now have a constant tight throat:( walking around its there, like on verge of panic again:( I hope it goes.

I'm so scared to take my tablet tonight incase it's the meds changing my anxiety:(

Usually I feel worried but rarely do I have shy kind of attack and if I do it's usually a fast heart and shakes, and I go light headed. What I had tonight was different:(( anxiety in stomach that suddenly made my stomach flip with adrenaline, and throat tightened badly:((((

I'm now so frightened why and if it'll happen again. It's just not what I'm used to. I'm a worrier 24/7. I was attacked September by my brother, anxiety hit, anxiety attacks in shops and then I became agoraphobic. That's why I'm on the mirtazapine. X

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:11 ----------

Took my tablet half an hour ago x

Bonnibelle
15-05-13, 09:36
Will this get easier? when does the grogginess and weakness in the day wear off? I feel awful and I can't drive or go out:-(