PDA

View Full Version : More results confusion...

ChrisMayo
14-05-13, 16:27
Me again...! Hope everyone is well today.

I phoned my Docs today to see if my gastroscopy results had come in, they said they couldn't see them, so passed me on and said that they had come back and did I want to book a Doctors appointment to discuss them, I said could I not find out if they were ok over the phone and she said she wasn't a doctor...

I told her I'd previously been told my Colonoscopy over the phone and that it was fine, and she said oh, well, I can pass you back to the receptionist.

I got passed back to the receptionist and asked to book an appointment to discuss test results, I then asked if I would have been told if it was serious by now and she said "no", and I said that I thought people were contacted if it was anything to worry about, and she said "Oh, well if it's urgent then the results would be marked "urgent"" but didn't say anything about mine.

Bit confused as the secretary who had the results didn't say anything, neither did the receptionist. I'm now going in on Friday, but worried that something needs to be discussed, even though it seems the appointment was voluntary rather than necessary.

Any thoughts?

Mr m anxious
14-05-13, 16:42
Hi there
This is normal really, bare in mind doctors receptionists have a reputation
for being snotty / awkward. I've had n endoscopy done in he past and I had to see the doctor for results, turned out I had a slightly swollen dudonium which is very common, nothing gastro tablets couldn't sort out.
Hope this helps

AlexandriaUK
14-05-13, 16:42
Hi from what I am lead to understand in theory only the Dr is allowed to give you the results of tests as their have been cases of wrong info being given over the phone, it all comes under the duty of care that they have to adhere to now, things like cholesterol they say no further action but thats my Drs.
I am sure that he wants to see you to reassure you that all is well, not that we believe them LOL and especially if you suffer with HA you would come of the phone and an hour later ask your self, I hope that woman got the right result, patient etc.
So dont worry, when my result was bad I was rung and asked to go in.

ChrisMayo
14-05-13, 17:21
Thank you.

They didn't specifically ask me to come in, but the "secretary" asked me if I wanted to book an appointment as she couldn't analyse the results, and the receptionist didn't seem to have the results, so I'm not sure if they knew what they were looking for.

The same happened with the colonoscopy but they said to call back when the Dr had commented on them.

Hopefully if I go in on Friday they'll be able to tell me more, and at least then I can ask any questions.

I'm hoping because it's been three weeks and no letter or phone call, that it's nothing urgent, and they did say it would be marked "urgent" if that was the case, but the receptionist wasn't very clear / helpful either way.

Fingers crossed!