PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a very short delusion? Or intrusive thoughts? Need advice.. Please

iheartdrift
14-05-13, 21:08
Hey, I have bad anxiety problems and developed a fear of possible schizophrenia. I'm always worried that I'm not thinking straight or is the way I'm thinking normal, basically testing myself to see if my thoughts are normal.

But anyway, to the point. I had this idea the other day when my gf and I were driving in my car. We were honestly talking about sex, and all of a sudden her mom calls her phone right after we discuss a certain part of our sex. And a crazy thought popped Into my head "what if she knows what we did?" And felt for a few seconds that she knew what we were talking about. Then it turned into a full blown panic attack because I then realized there was no way and that's totally dumb for me to think, but It made me think of a delusion and triggered the panic attack...

Again, earlier today. My gf and I were video chatting with each other and she was in the bathroom. I seem her look over at something and my thought was "there's someone in there with her" the idea came and stayed for a few seconds as I was panicking, then I realized that's just dumb, there is no one in there with her. But the thought was more of a feeling really. Made me feel like she was in there undressing in front of someone.. I know she would never do such a thin and no it isn't even plausible but it made me panic cause it reminded me of delusional thoughts..

It's always random things at random times. But I never like truly believe it's true after I have the thoughts. And it more just feels like it's really happening but snap out of it within seconds.. Then it turns into fear of schizophrenia.. Anyone have any insight? Does this happen to anyone else?

PanchoGoz
14-05-13, 21:46
These thoughts happen to everyone for a split second. Thank about the thought patterns different types of people would have.

Start with the brief thought of your mum knows what you were talking about.

Schitzo/paranoid delusional person:
Thought - there might be bugs in the car - I always knew mum was weird - I will have to start watching for other signs we are being stalked - that explains the helicopter too - now my girlfriend is looking at me weirdly -

Anxious person
Thought - no that can't be right - why did I think that - I must be schitziphrenic - no I'm not I can't be - was it a delusion - why did I think that - panic

Normal person
Thought - .....(forgets they had thought)

iheartdrift
14-05-13, 23:04
Thanks a lot man... That makes perfect sense actually. Makes me feel much better.
I just can't help but to obsess over the thoughts :/

Only difference is that they weren't just thoughts that "popped up" with no meaning, I'm like partially convinced at the first thought of it.. As if it were real. Then tell myself no it wasn't... That make sense?

---------- Post added at 15:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

Can a delusion last a couple seconds?

PanchoGoz
14-05-13, 23:48
It's not a delusion...a delusion is something that you really believe in that you don't fear about thinking. You couldn't have that brief thought without contemplating it and looking at it's angles a little bit...it's just anxiety that prolongs it and spans it out.
It's a bit like how an arachophobe see's hundreds of spiders a day that we don't notice.

You can train yourself to choose which thoughts you want to pick up and which to drop. It takes time and effort though. If you feel yourself gettina carried away with unhelpful thoughts, distance yourself from them, notice your breathing for a moment, then look at them again more objectively.

I seem to be chief schitzo poster on the forum tonight :D

iheartdrift
15-05-13, 00:16
Lol very valid points.. Thanks so much for the reassurance! Do you have a Skype? Inbox me if you do :) You seem to be a lot of help and would appreciate a friend like you :)

I do see that you have been coaching people through schizophrenia scares, you are awesome! You do a great job!

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

Do you have any input on my other post? About the "I get uncomfortable seeing violence/evil things" ? It's on the OCD forum

---------- Post added at 16:16 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

Lots of people have viewed it but no replies :(

PanchoGoz
15-05-13, 00:23
It's the same principles for your other posts, it's not the thoughts themselves that are the problem, they just come with anxiety, it's how you react to them.
It may help you to have a look at the link to CBT4Panic in my signiture, it's more for panic attacks than OCD but has a very helpful workbook on obsessional thoguhts and you would find it very helpful :)
You're understandably wanting a lot of reassurance when you don't know much about anxiety, but remember to give yourself a break from it in the day and keep distracted. Focusing on the problem only makes it worse, it's better to let it just float away :)

iheartdrift
15-05-13, 03:33
Thanks so much for the words! You are a great help!

iheartdrift
10-06-13, 16:47
Just wanted to give you Guys an update on my current state. I started taking the prozac about 5 weeks ago. And have noticed a huuuuge difference :) these sort of intrusive thoughts don't bother me so much anymore, I learned to easily forget them. I'm way more happy and excited about things, enjoying life much more, don't have a 1/3 of my intrusive thoughts as I did. And also my anxiety has for the most part calmed down about 80%. One thing I have noticed tho is drinking is not a good idea... During the buzz, I'm totally fine. But AFTER the night of drinking, I have horrible anxiety :(((( minor panic attacks and a lot of anxiety. It lasts about 2 1/2 days... Anyone have similar experiences with this?

Invisibletouch
11-06-13, 15:40
Yes the same thing happened to my son. He is on meds for Ocd with intrusive thoughts and found that when he had a drink he then felt a lot worse the next day. He does not drink at all now. It is known that it is not recommended to drink alcohol when on this kind of medication.

Im really glad that the meds are working well for you....:)

serlee
14-04-15, 16:26
These thoughts happen to everyone for a split second. Thank about the thought patterns different types of people would have.

Start with the brief thought of your mum knows what you were talking about.

Schitzo/paranoid delusional person:
Thought - there might be bugs in the car - I always knew mum was weird - I will have to start watching for other signs we are being stalked - that explains the helicopter too - now my girlfriend is looking at me weirdly -

Anxious person
Thought - no that can't be right - why did I think that - I must be schitziphrenic - no I'm not I can't be - was it a delusion - why did I think that - panic

Normal person
Thought - .....(forgets they had thought)

Hello PanchoGoz,

I've been suffering for Pure O thoughts after a panic attack I had while high. I had been smoking weed for a year before and had been totally fine, even tried LSD about 3 times. but then I started fearing I was going to become schizophrenic, and I have had all sorts of crazy thoughts that linger in my head and feel real. Most of them have gone away, but sometimes when theyre bad,well I can't even explain how painful it is.

Right now Im dealing with thoughts that theres cameras around me and I constantly think that. Sometimes I can fight that yet it seems like my perception shift for a second and I truly believe them. I also have had thoughts recently that theres a chip in my brain controlling my emotions. I know there is no logic to this, I know it, yet these thoughts become ingrained in my head so quickly. I'm just worried that after 22 months of dealing with this madness and not doing drugs anymore btw, I'm finally aobut to become delirious or delusional. I was wondering if you know of anyone who this has happened to, or if anyone has recovered, and how. Sorry for the long post, Ive been classified as OCD before. out of the three categories I just wanna be the first one. Thanks PanchoGoz

PanchoGoz
15-04-15, 17:04
Hi Serlee. Weed amplifies your mental state so if you are already known to have OCD then it may make it a lot worse. LSD mixed in with that and you are likely experiencing some unwanted side effects of recreational drugs. It may be worth reading up on these and see if they fit the description. You should also talk to a doctor if you can for some reassurance on what it is and possible treatments. You could look into medication or therapy. The doctor will be able to determine the problem better.

It's hard for someone on a forum to say whether this is delusions or just anxiety. It could be at first these thoughts were proper side effects but now it's just memories of the thoughts and obsessional thinking. (you try not to think the thoughts and you make them worse because of this). Deffo see a doctor.

In the meantime, why not try some relaxation exercises to see if you experience the thoughts less in a relaxed state of mind? It could be constant high adrenaline playing tricks on you.