PDA

View Full Version : Holter Monitor and White Coat Syndrome

Itsallinmyhead416
14-05-13, 22:20
Hey everyone,

Just got fitted for the holter monitor today, I have to wear it for 24hrs and then it comes off tomorrow afternoon. I've been totally scared with this whole procedure basically due to the unknown. The funny thing is, I've been wanting to do this test for a while due to me having a slow heart rate and skipped beats but now I'm just afraid that they will find something. I'm a healthy 26 year old male but I have severe white coat syndrome. Every time I go to the doctor my BP is always high cause I'm so anxious. Today it was 160/80 and my doctor was like "hmmm, that's kind of high". So then he took it again and it went down to 145 over something, which he then said "that's better".

I took my BP at home as soon as I got back from the doctors and it was 115/72. I hate that I get so nervous in clinical settings. I know my BP is normal because he made me monitor it twice a day for two weeks at home and it was good the whole time. Anyone know how to shake this fear? Has anyone tried therapy? Just need some advice. Thank you!

countrygirl
14-05-13, 22:40
If you find a cure for white coat syndrome please please let me know!! I am even worse than you. At my last hospital appt my bp was 165/99 and my pulse was 150 and I had taken 7mg of diazepam as well!!. Like you if I take my BP at home it is about 131/84 and as soon as I left the hospital my pulse was 68bpm.
It has got so bad that I have an awful job at any medical appt not with my own Gp to convince them that it is just white coat syndrome.
I asked my Gp about how to tackle it and he said it is very common and alot of people are as bad as me.

Itsallinmyhead416
15-05-13, 00:36
Well its good to know I'm not the only one. I know how your feeling though, its dreadful to fear every single doctor appointment you go to and having to convince the doctor everytime that it's white coat. One would think it would make you feel better knowing that our BP is normal but for me it doesn't. I just want to conquer this fear all together so I don't have to worry about it anymore!

summer55
15-05-13, 00:46
Yup, I have white coat syndrome as well. Even when I was pregnant and going to the doctor for a baby checkup my blood pressure would shoot up even though I was happy and I did not think I was feeling any anxiety:) I do believe it is very common and more so with people like us!!