PDA

View Full Version : Is mono ruining my life? Swollen lymph nodes / lymphoma fears

AllIhaveisme
15-05-13, 01:49
Some of you may recognize my story but quick recap: 10 weeks ago almost, I started getting swollen lymph nodes. They started in my neck, now groin and above collar bone as well. I have had 3 CBC's done, red blood cell morphology, chest xray, all normal/clear except Im anemic. Out of nowhere this happened and then insert major anxiety, depression and panic attacks here (which Ive never had before). They initially tested me for HIV, Monospot was done, Hepatitis, and thyroid. All negative/normal.

Ive never been really sick except once years ago I had the actually flu and was down for a week miserable. Well, in the beginning the dr's really thought mono, even after negative monospot and said we'd retest but it appeared to be behaving like mono (nodes up and down, I did totally have sore throat that seemed to go away and come RIGHT back within a few days to a week), but no fever, no weight loss, no appetite change, etc.

These nodes are progressive, I get new ones all the time, and have taken over my life. I seriously have thought I was/am dying and it has almost cost me my job and completely derailed my life (add to that Im currently in a divorce and left full time with 3 kids, 2 jobs, a house, horses, and basically everything... on my own). It's been the most horrific thing I have ever been through and Google has traumatized me to my core.

So, last week I went back to the dr and he said he wasn't ready to biopsy or be aggressive YET because I have no night sweats, fever, chills, loss of appetite or any other symptom of lymphoma. I asked him to test me for Lymes and redo my mono test but this time with the longer test (which im told over and over is MUCH more reliable than the monospot). The nurse calls today.... POSITIVE! Ok, well positive for exposure of mono. GREAT, Im like so excited we have an answer right?... wrong.

I ask her to have the dr call me. He says I don't have an acute infection so that cannot explain my swollen nodes. :weep: And he tells me to follow up and let them know immediately if I develop night sweats or any of those symptoms. So, basically he cant say when, but sometime in the past I have been exposed to mono. But up to this point, Ive been relatively healthy. Is it possible this exposure started all of this and Im recovering now? I WAS so tired all. the. time when this started and my energy has returned so I feel like Im getting better except these damn swollen nodes.

What... the.... eff? I cannot take this anymore. I am so tired. So tired of being tired. So tired of lumps and bumps and obsessing and fear and all this crap. I just feel like giving up and letting whatever this is take me over. Ugh!

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

Also to add, I had a pink and black tattoo done the day before the first node appeared. It is on my back, and up my neck. The dr's have given me conflicting opinions on if this is related to the tattoo.

Patrick8
15-05-13, 04:28
I'm sorry you're going through this! Don't give up! Take confidence in the amount of time you have seen doctors and in the fact that they think you are o.k. Them telling you to watch out for all those symptoms is largely precautionary. He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't say that.

If you're feeling better lately and the doctors aren't worried than the battle is almost over!

PS: Not a doctor but I have heard nodes can take QUITE a while, years even, to reduce in size sometimes after fighting an infection. So maybe your explanation of mono could be true?

Freaked
15-05-13, 15:07
You sound like me; I didn't suffer from anxiety either until some virus 3 months ago seemingly turned me into a cripple. Now I'm always freaking out and can't tell what symps are real and what are anxiety.

Your problem could very well be mono recovery. They tested me for remains of mono (negative) because they thought it might explain my prolonged weird illness. My mom had lymphatic cancer and she was quite ill by the time she got a swollen neck lump. All the same, do go back and push for biopsy if you start feeling unwell and just to be sure. I know how stubborn doctors can be.

AllIhaveisme
15-05-13, 15:15
I really appreciate both of your responses! Freaked, I sure hope you get an answer soon, this is daunting. Have you been checked for other Virus's?