PDA

View Full Version : Acute Awareness of Pain

Patrick8
15-05-13, 04:06
Hi everyone! There's two things that have been bothering most over the past year. Wondering if anyone does the same?

1. Every day I find myself searching my body for lumps, bumps, and tender spots. It's useless because when I find them I don't know if they have always been there or are new, what they are, etc. This all started when I had some lipomas (benign fatty tumors) diagnosed.

2. To go along with this I am so acutely aware of pain now. It's funny because while I won't care at all about a badly sprained ankle or something, I will freak when I poke an area of my body and it hurts more than another area. This leads me to believe I have something unnatural causing me pain. Bad description sorry.

Anyone else do these things? Any suggestions for how to stop? When i start feeling around I tell myself to stop but usually convince myself it will help anyway! When i feel pain and start worrying I tell myself its just anxiety. But how do I get my pain threshold back to normal?

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

I should add between lipomas, lymph nodes, muscle knots, pressure points... and anything else under our skin... there's plenty to get my attention!

Honeynut
15-05-13, 07:56
I am constantly poking areas of my skin and then freaking out if it hurts. I usually will poke a certain area on one side and then go to the other side to see if the pain is the same, I.e whether my left ribs hurt as much as my right ribs.

Patrick8
16-05-13, 01:23
Honeynut this is exactly what I do. Glad to know I'm not alone.