PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety about starting work

Elle-Kay
23-06-04, 17:47
Hi all,

I know I only joined yesterday, so I hope no-one minds me posting my niggles already :)

I've been unemployed since I graduated from university, last July (2003), and have been signing on since September of that year. I made the conscious decision not to have a job during uni', so that it didn't interrupt my studies, and I never had to have a part-time job while I was at school. The other day, I was called and offered a full-time job (to tide me over until I start teacher training college next September). This will be my first EVER job, and I'm worried that I'm going to A) not be able to do it, or B) screw it up by having panic attacks (it's a reception position at a traditional Chinese medicine therapy clinic, so I'm always going to be around people).

I keep trying to tell myself that I'm really lucky, because the job is in my local area - barely 10 minutes walk from my home in fact! - and most people only manage to find work in the city (only 4 miles away, but still a milestone for me). Despite this though, I'm still getting all wound up that I'll not be able to start it and get into all sorts of legal trouble (contractual etc.), or that I'll start it and look a complete fool by having panic attacks, and have to embarrass myself (and risk not getting a job in future because of a bad reference) by resigning after a short period of time :( I keep having awful visions of having to walk out part way through a day without any warning or something, and it's making me procrastinate about phoning back to accept the job (I feel that if I accept it, that's it, I've sealed my fate).

I really don't know what to do, and time is running out :( I don't think I can tell my future boss about my condition(s), because he would (understandably) want to employ someone else...

Caz Fab Pants
23-06-04, 17:51
That is a tough one but I'm sure you know in your heart of hearts that you must take the job and give it your best shot.

Once you make the call and mentally resign yourself to going to work that first morning you will automatically switch into a different mode. You will get through that day because you have to and then every day after that will get easier as your confidence builds.

Go for it girl and best of luck, let us know how it goes!

Caroline
x

jonny
23-06-04, 18:14
Hi Leah,

Please take the job, i am sure it will do you the world of good. The longer you keep yourself shut away the worse it will get. But i am sure you already know that.
I really believe that anxiety is worse as we build up to an event than it actually is when the event arrives. We spend weeks thinking what if this or that happens but it rarely ever does.
Take the job, if you decide you don't like it then you can always say it isn't what you expected and leave.

Take care

Oh by the way, i live in notts too and i cant help but think you are describing Beeston, am i right?

Jonny.

Elle-Kay
23-06-04, 18:30
I'm actually in Lincs, so the city nearby I'm talking about is Lincoln :) I didn't expect to find anyone nearby!

jonny
23-06-04, 18:33
There are quite a few of us poor soles nearby! Must be a gloomy area :-(

Jonny.

Meg
23-06-04, 22:52
Go for it Leah.

It may make you uncomfortable but you wil cope and it will prepare you for the future positions you will hold.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Elle-Kay
24-06-04, 21:18
Well, I did it. I phoned and accepted the job. I start on Monday, 5th July, and I'm already thinking I should call him back and say I made a mistake :( My irrational mind is doing the "what if?"s, and my rational mind knows it's wrong, but the other part is so much stronger :(

Meg
24-06-04, 21:28
Well done Leah.

What are you going to be doing ?

No, the other side is not stronger - just noisier !!

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

Elle-Kay
24-06-04, 21:38
I'll be doing reception/administration at a traditional chinese medicine clinic. I hope it's busy enough to keep me occupied all day, every day! lol

Meg
24-06-04, 21:59
Oh yes, you did say previously . Sorry , I forgot .

If not so busy use the down time constructively to learn some of the principles yourself.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

hem
27-06-04, 02:05
If it is any help .. i was out of work for 3 years following finishing uni ( i never managed to finnish my teacher training .. the kids i had in my school were bred from hell.. oh and i was 7 months pregnant at the time which maybe didnt help) so i hadnt had a job for years when i started mine 5weeks ago. i get panic attacks at work but my boss is really understanding and i find that because i cannot run away and hide automatically i am forced to face one out and i find that i can actually stand it for longer. i know how scary it is going back to work after a long time away ( particurarly as i was a single mum for 3 years and if that doesnt take the confidence out of you i dont know what does ) but going to work is the best thing you can do and i find that i am better at work because i have more to think about ) hope every thing goes well
liz