PDA

View Full Version : panic at work

Torri
15-05-13, 16:25
today i had my first panic attack at work, it started with the palps and then i was hot all over and my anxiety went thru the roof and i felt really bad,
It just happened i wasnt stressed or anything i have never had one at work and i did my best to hide it i really wanted to burst into tears.
i feel awlful now and im back to square one thinking its all going to start happening again
I just stating to get rid of the side effect of my meds and then this happens
i feel really low

Snoodlester
15-05-13, 19:10
I remember having something like this last year. I was sitting at my desk and came over all hot, and the panicky feeling washed over me and I had the sudden desperate urge to leave the room. But for some reason I didn't leave and it subsided and didn't happen again at work. Although I thought about it, I evidentially didn't dwell on it which is the key. Now if I can make this work for all my other fears...

almamatters
15-05-13, 19:19
This used to happen to me regularly at work last year and I actually did leave work several times. I never said to my colleagues what had happened but I'm sure they all had a pretty good idea. I sometimes sit and think I am about to start panicking at work but I try and concentrate on my breathing or distract myself before it takes hold. It does not always work and sometimes I have to just leave the room and wait for the feeling to subside. Hope you are feeling better soon. :flowers:

Tessar
15-05-13, 21:50
It was really interesting reading these posts because everything being described sounded very familiar to me.
Thing is, if you asked me, I would be certain that I don't suffer from panic attacks. But that's what puzzles me is that if I don't, then why would this all sound so familiar?
Thinking about it, I reckon it's because I do get very anxious sometimes but the fear of panicking seems to keep my physical reaction at by. That is because I am so scared of people noticing I am anxious, or maybe tearful that I feel I must hide it at all costs.
I'm very used to hiding my feelings from people as I fear they'll think it's funny.
Today at work I felt really hot & wanted to open a window but all my colleagues were cold. The next thing I felt even hotter. I don't like that & felt like they weren't very kind but sometimes I think I jut think I am hotter than I am. I did have to calm myself down as I felt like I was going to get upset & wasn't having a great day as it was.
In the end I went downstairs to work where it's cooler. Even then the thoughts/feelings were playing on my mind & I did become tearful (I did have stuff on my mind today which wasn't helping). So, rather than fight it off, I went to the toilet so I could relax. I did she'd a few tears, I felt it was better to let them out, like releasing the pressure.
After that I did feel better. It was one of those days.
I try keeping busy & distract myself from how I feel physically when this happens. It's good if you can recognise what is happening before things go too far down the line & then concentrate on relaxing rather than letting feelings/thoughts escalate.

reenymac
15-05-13, 23:21
This is where I am currently taking my panic attacks in my workplace, have been off work for a week with them, cause my last panic attack had me thinking I had nothing left to live for, so I left work and haven't returned since :(.....it was the only time I have felt like that in my life, I think thats what scared me most. I know now that it was just the panic attack playing games with my mind but at the time it all felt so real...back to work on Friday hopefully will be a good day.

Tessar
16-05-13, 10:03
hey reenymac, you are right in feeling that it was your mind playing games with you..... it will have been for sure. When you are stressed and particularly upset it really does do that to you. anything bad you are feeling is magnified tremendously. Do you have a contingency plan in place in case you feel a bit wobbly on tomorrow? I dont know if you've read up on panic attacks & stuff as I dont know how long you've had them but i do know from personal experience that breathing exercises are excellent & also it is possible to ride out the storm..... best of luck....

reenymac
17-05-13, 09:27
Thanks for your kind words and advice Tessar, a normally manage my panic attacks with breathing exercises, but that last one because of how I felt I thought there was something else wrong with me, but immediately when I left work I felt better, didn't go back to work today got my sick line extended till wednesday go back to work on Thursday then I only have 2 days to work, trying st johns wort to see how I go with that.

Thanks again
Reeny